Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

why are so many fully vacinated testing positive?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Jul 17, 2021.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    You asked a question and got a reply. What is wrong with you? Oh right, you didn't like it.

I suspect you'll ask again next week.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  2. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Pfizer recently acknowledged that their vaccine is 64% effective against the Delta variant so that means 36 out of every 100 who are vaccinated are getting it. Of those, about 6 or 7 are hospitalized. No data for those that are dying.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Another way to think about this is to leave aside that current vaxx offer a 26% decrease in protection against the Delta variant but that faiap they still offer about 70 times (or roughly 7000%) increased protection against Delta than being unvaxxed does.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    It was a good question you answered in a bit of a pique, old chap.

5. domgator

domgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wow, guarantee you have friends and family who have not gotten vaccinated. Have you let them know you don't care if they die?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I’m sure prayer and a heavy dose of foxnews will help them more than dangolegators’ negative juju. Whew.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Not specific to the delta variant but I read somewhere that the death rate for vaccinated folks is something like .0005%

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    This is a good question. Don’t be dissuaded by criticism for asking questions. The answer is not so simple and some of it is explained above. We likely will need vaccines for a period of time. The flu vaccine is given every year. Also, with lower than hoped for vaccination rates, the virus will spread and replicate and mutate. The vaccines train the immune system to deal with the virus. The immune system is exposed to the protein and responds. As a result, if the vaccine intrudes, the immune system doesn’t have to learn how to respond. It knows. But the vaccines are not perfect. As a result of our being open, the virus is spreading and many people are being exposed. Infections are down because the vaccines are effective at keeping people from getting sick, noticeably sick, or very sick. If it were not for the vaccines, the country would be a disaster now. We don’t know tie degree of spread; we only know serous illness and those being tested. You mentioned the Yankees. Pro athletes are being tested as a routine procedure. Where there is more virus, viral load is higher and the chances of the vaccine immunity being overcome is higher. I know a vaccinated person that went overseas with 5 other people. All 6 vaccinated. All 6 symptomatic now. They traveled on a private plane and stayed in the same hotel an ate together etc. The viral load in the group was higher because they were all together. If more people were vaccinated, breakthrough infections would also be lower. The Yankees players are part of a team that is together often.

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You do realize that the majority of those testing positive since last February are the same way, don’t you?

10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Immaterial. Those getting seriously ill and dying are the unvaccinated. A vaccine that turns a severe disease into a common cloud is a success.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

No. Thats not what it means.

If a vaccination is 64% effective against an infection, then it reduces infection rate by 64%. If 100 unvaccinated people normally would have been infected, then only 36 of vaccinated people are infected.

In terms of hospitalization, the numbers are more like 92-96% effective against delta, meaning if 100 unvaccinated people were hospitalized with covid delta , only 4-8 would have been hospitalized with vaccine.

Against the original covid the vaccine was about 95% effective against infection and almost 100% effective against hospitalization. So the vaccines are not as effective against Delta variant, but still offer substantial protection.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Ya, I tell folks they should get vaccinated. That shows I care. But if they refuse to, there's nothing I can do beyond that. And if they die, I probably did more than you did in trying to prevent it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    99.98% of deaths are unvaccinated. 96% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is a very simple solution to the unvaccinated problem. Unfortunately, our politicians on both sides are not creative. If we used the data to show that covid vaccinations are health care mitigations and lower costs for all, then we could have made or still make a stimulus / tax credit contingent on the vaccine. If people were going to get 500 or 1,000 each if they are vaccinated, the unvaccinated would be flocking to get the vaccine. Just my opinion on this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    I would add on to this by creating a "drop dead date" where the government stops picking up the cost of care for those unvaccinated, yet suffering COVID infections.

Use both a carrot and a stick at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Totally agree and it might still come to this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My wife knows a fully vaccinated (Pfizer) married couple who chose to get together with an unvaccinated couple recently in Tampa. The fully vaccinated couple both contracted the COVID-19 virus. The husband was hospitalized and put on a ventilator. He died.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Awful. how old was he? Being In close contact, for an extended period, with someone infected increases viral load and odds of it being more severe.

19. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    waiting for the CDC to recommend people get a divorce before getting the vaccine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    And Pfizer insists on freaking me the hell out, claiming we need another shot right now.

Pfizer looking to get emergency use authorization on COVID booster shot

• Informative Informative x 2