Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

why are so many fully vacinated testing positive?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by buckeyegator, Jul 17, 2021.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    it has gotten to the point that it is just not the isolated case anymore, more and more reports of fully vacinated testing positive, is the vaccine not good against the varient, are we going to be forever taking shots?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The vaccine is still very effective considering that almost of all of the fully vaccinated individuals who test positive are either asymptomatic or have very mild cases of Covid-19. 99% of those with serious cases requiring hospitalization are unvaccinated.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    what percentage of fully vaccinated people are testing positive?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    the problem is, if you are vacinated, test positive, people around you still are placed in protocal.imagine the problem at the olympics is a person vacinated tests positive, how many and for how long are close contact individuals put in quarantine?

5. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    not sure, but you had the ny yankee problem, texas democrats in washington tested positive, the poster above referenced a incident, it is far from few and far between anymore.

6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I think I read vaccinations are about 69% effective at preventing infection from Delta Variant. So it decreases your chances of infection by 69%. However it is 92-96% effective in preventing hospitalization.

Will we need to keep getting variant updates? possibly. If most people were vaccinated then maybe not, but with large swaths of people unvaccinated acting like a perpetual petri dish the disease will continue to evolve and mutate.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    If you're going to start a thread like that, it's probably a good idea to post a story showing the stats about vaccinated people testing positive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    I posted this in the main covid thread:

A couple of friends of mine, sisters who live together, both got covid recently. One of the sisters was vaccinated and the other had chosen not to get vaccinated. The vaccinated one had a very light case, said she hardly noticed it. The unvaccinated one had a hard case, bedridden for days, feeling awful. Just more (anecdotal) evidence for the efficacy of the vaccines in preventing serious cases.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Because the virus continues spreading and mutating in the unvaccinated population.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I think we had a shot at beating it but we blew it because not enough people got vaccinated and as a result the delta variant has gained ground. I suspect we will need boosters akin to flu shots annually.

Heartbreaking we live in such a selfish society but c'est la vie.

At least it's only killing morons now.

• Agree x 10
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah it sucks that so many have chosen to not get vaccinated. I don't really care about the unvaccinated getting sick and having a bad case or even dying. That was their choice. But there are undoubtedly unvaccinated children and some others who will pay the price for that selfishness. One of my best friends from UF is an organ transplant survivor and he is vaccinated but he is still having to be extremely careful because the vaccines apparently aren't very effective for people who are on the array of medications that transplant survivors have to take.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  13. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Anti-vaxers aren’t going to like those f-a-c-t-s.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The answer is math. Even the best vaccine was just 95% effective from preventing people from getting COVID. J&J was least effective at around 70%, but did prevent cases from being serious. And these were against the wild type virus, no variants.

Delta variant is simply more virulent. It causes more cases overall as it requires less exposure than the wild type. This also means more breakthrough cases too. Fortunately, all vaccines do a good job at keeping cases from being severe.

There is also the fact the country has opened up a lot more. More interactions means more chance of the virus spreading. Breakthrough cases were always going to rise once things opened back up.

If we had reached herd immunity, there would be no real issues. The number of total cases would have gone way down, and the few breakthrough cases would be mostly minor inconveniences. But we haven't reached this number. Now, overall cases are increasing again, which leads to a greater chance of another variant, that could be even more virulent and vaccine resistant than Delta.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    And it’s precisely that population which is overloading our health care system. To boot, the potential for a really bad mutation endangers us all. But the unvaccinated have all kinds of excuses. One on here had his kids vaccinated and encouraged his relatives to, but he and his wife want to wait before they ‘inject anything into [their] bodies.’

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I would feel somewhat the same if it weren't for the fact that these unvaccinated include almost all of my few surviving relatives, elderly and set in their ignorant ways. I dread getting a phone call that one of them has died from covid. If they all make it through, they must be right that God is looking out for them. After all, they're fundamentalists and God has a plan for every one of them.

17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Why do you keep making posts like this when you have been answered over and over again?

Delta can evade the antibody response.....people get infected.

Neither Delta(nor alpha, nor lamda, nor any other variant) once infecting your cells can evade your T-cell response including killer T-cells. Your period of infection is very short and the likelihood of severe disease is nearly 0 as your body rapidly destroys infected cells stopping viral replication.

This is about the third time I have posted in response to the same question. Next time you ask the answer will still not have changed.

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. buckeyegator

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    if you do not like my posts the simple answer is do not reply, yet you continue to do so.

• Come On Man x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
  19. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Who knows how long we'll have to go on getting vaxxed but I imagine quite some time. It's quite likely that pharma companies will need to rework their vaxx to adapt to a mutating virus. We should probably anticipate that this virus to be around for a very long time.

This is what happened with the flu vaxx. There has been a global monitoring system in place since the 50s. We use it to predict which flu strain will dominate iot produce the right vaxx. Of course, we don't always get it right--see 2017-2018 flu season where flu deaths spiked in the US.

20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This is easy. Not sure what is still being debated.

Full COVID-19 vaccination provides 69% protection against infection by Delta variant: Singapore study

SINGAPORE: A Singapore study has found that COVID-19 vaccination provides about 69 per cent protection against infection by the Delta variant of the coronavirus, regardless of symptoms, Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said on Wednesday (Jul 7).

Citing the study by the National Centre for Infectious Diseases (NCID) and Ministry of Health (MOH), he said the data also showed that the vaccine's protection against symptomatic disease is “between 80 and 90 per cent”.

“Effectiveness of vaccination against severe COVID-19 disease, requiring oxygen supplementation, ICU (intensive care unit) care or death, is at 93 per cent,” he added.

• Informative Informative x 5