Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Who would win this game?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by ApexNC, Mar 16, 2020.

1. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    OK, I'm bored, but I was thinking....If we took UF's 2006-07 team and lined them up against a team of all-stars from the rest of UF's players throughout history, who would win? At first I was thinking there's no way that team could beat the best of the rest of the program's history...but it would be interesting.

I'm not sure where our all-time ranking thread is archived, but it would be interesting to discuss matchups between the 06-07 team and the remaining highest ranked players per position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. fda92045

fda92045 All American

Feb 19, 2012
    I think the 2000, 2011, 2014 teams would all give 06-07 team a run for their money.

But let's take a gander at some guys not from 06-07

J Williams, Wilbekin, Chiozza, Calathes
    V Maxwell, Beal,
    M Miller, Parsons, DFS
    Lee, Udonis,
    Walk, Speights

Other guys i'd consider:

Cross
    Hill
    DeClerq
    Yeguette
    Boynton
    Erv
    E Murphy
    Peep
    Walsh
    Dupay
    Wright
    Young

I just think when it comes down to it, you have enough guys on the all time team that would overpower the 06-07 guys in the end. Though I think Horford and Noah are far and away the best two big guys we have had.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    One factor to consider - if they were to “actually” play the game(s) is the team factor. All-stars might be a better collection of talent but you can’t discount the cohesiveness of a “team”. Especially one that went thru 2 seasons together to win back2back titles!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Let's see the 2 best big men together, the best 3 point shooter at SG, the best athletic and defensive wing man , and an NBA son at PG. Good luck putting a better team out there against that. As Bogey says the team factor far exceeds the collection of individual talent.

• Like Like x 2
  5. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I totally disagree. The only advantage the all-time team would have is bench depth and the SG position. You can’t count Speights as on the all-time team because he was on the bench of that 06-07 team. See roster directly below.

Players
    Taurean Green
    Al Horford
    Corey Brewer
    Joakim Noah
    Lee Humphrey
    Chris Richard
    Walter Hodge
    Marreese Speights
    Dan Werner
    Jonathan Mitchell
    Brandon Powell
    Brett Swanson
    Garrett Tyler
    Jack Berry

Again, I only see an advantage depth wise and at the 2 position with Beal vs. Hump. but that’s not accounting for chemistry (Lee paired better with the 06-07 lineup than Beal would). And come to think of it, the depth we did have on the championship team was high quality with the first three guys off the bench of Hodge, Speights and Richard(s)

Remember, all-time team could only use 8-10 guys so it’s not like they would wear down the 04’s and Co. in a 40 minute college basketball game.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    My first thought was similar to @fda92045's comment, but after thinking about it a while, I really like the '07 team. Those guys never lost a tournament game--ANY tournament game--as starters for 2 years.

I still tend to think the all-stars would win due to depth. However, remember also that they get to keep their coach. Somebody else would be coaching the all-stars.

So a starting five matchup might be:

PG: Green vs JWil
    SG: Humphrey vs Maxwell? Beal?
    SF: Brewer vs Miller
    PF: Horford vs Lee? Haslem? Ronnie Williams?
    C: Noah vs Walk

IMO, the all-star guards might be the difference. I think the 07 team's front court would match up pretty well.

7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    This is directly from the "all-time" top 20 event that we ran last summer:

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Chemistry is the conundrum here. There's no way to tell to what extent the collection of all-stars would gel. The 04s had outstanding chemistry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I would take the All-Star team (probably 8 out of 10). The fact that the 04's would keep it close and that some people would favor them is a testament to how great they were.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If it’s 5 on 5 with no reserves, I would go with the National title team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    What made those titles teams so good was that they represented the consummate “team”.
    The synergy of that team was phenomenal. You may be able to put together a “better” five... but not a better team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This I can along with but the All Star reserves would be way too much for the title team to deal with. IMO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely. The reserves by themselves would be a national title contender.

15. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Maybe a different spin to consider. If you take the 07 team with their reserves of Hodge, Richard and Speights then in comparison you have to take whoever the backup was for the all star players. So who were the back ups for any one of JWill, Beal, Miller, Haslem, and Walk? I don't recall but it might help even out the team aspect of this comparison. Maybe guys like Major Parker or Bonell Colas or Matt Bonner for Miller and Haslem. JWill had guys like Greg Williams and a young Eddie Shannon. Beal had Rosario I think.

• Like Like x 2
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’d take our Championship team for 2 important reasons:

chemistry-crazy good chemistry in this team and you can’t teach that.

Brewer would lock anybody down including college Brad Beal. CB was a dog and knew he was special. Somebody locked down Afflalo and many other great ones and frustrated them heck out of them. 4 3’s in that game.

one other reminder Chris Richard is a starter and possible star on any other team. His performance with 16 against UCLA shows that.

This team was so special. Nobody cared about stats. Noah could dominate a game scoring 8 points because he’d have 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, 4 assists, 2 steals and there was no stat line for how many shots he altered. Big Al no different. And Lee and Taurean were so underrated it’s not funny.

One other thing that goes unnoticed or isn’t talked about is this team’s help defense was incredible. They were ALWAYS in the right spot and communicated better than any great Duke or NC team. Back to one word......Chemistry.

• Like Like x 2
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Wrote about this a minute ago. Never seen a better TEAM. Jo’s mentality of the “lion” was worth an extra 5 points.

bring all the depth and stars you want. I’d never bet against them. Brewer was so long and quick. Between he and Jo 6 blocked shots in 07 NC game. As said earlier as collegians he’d lock Beal and any of those other guys down.

one of those teams that went the lights went on you better be ready or they’d boat race ya. No weaknesses.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Those teams were my favorite, by far, but they had weaknesses and they were named Tennessee and South Carolina. Do you happen to know the record those two years against those two teams? I will save you the time looking it up....3 wins and 5 losses with one of those victories over S. Carolina in the SEC Tournament 49-47.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Every team has weaknesses. All I can say about those two teams is they had great chemistry and they were winners. Not sure, for our Gators, we will ever see that again at least in my lifetime at that level. I put them up against just about anybody that’s how much I think of their chemistry. I get your points about South Carolina and Tennessee but when it mattered they dominated. Nobody’s perfect except for an Indiana team I remember watching years and years ago and that might’ve been one of the three greatest teams I’ve ever seen play. Point is when it mattered all they did was win and back to back national championships just don’t happen anymore or are very rare