Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who would/could you support from the "other" side.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpa, Oct 18, 2019.

1. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Maybe it was intentional, a play on words......:emoji_thinking:

I did say that there is no Dem(left) I would vote for.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don' think Obama's selection of Huntsman was based on political strategy. Unlike Republicans, Democratic presidents actually make bipartisan appointments. In addition to Huntsman Obama also appointed Robert Gates as Sec of Defense, a holdover from George W. Bush and Ray Lahood as Sec. of Transportation, a former Republican Congressman from Illinois. Clinton appointed William Cohen, Republican Senator from Maine as his Sec. of Defense.

3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Gates, as you pointed out, was ahold over. No one cares about Sec of Trans. Huntsman was a good choice of an Ambassador for China but it also was political fraught for Huntsman and it didn’t work out. You are not naive enough to not think there weren’t political considerations for Obama picking Huntsman for Ambassador to China.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    There were political considerations but I don't think he was selected to preempt a possible presidential run later. Huntsman was exceptionally well qualified for the Chinese Ambassadorship. He speaks fluent Mandarin and he served as Deputy Assistant Secretary in the International Trade Administration from 1989 to 1990 and as Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce for East Asian and Pacific Affairs under President George HW Bush. Huntsman was probably the most qualified nominee for the position since the US reestablished diplomatic relations with China. As far as Gates is concerned although he was a holdover he wasn't a placeholder occupying the position until Obama could nominate a Democrat. After Obama took office Gates served for over two more years.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  5. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and yet we can't get any of these choices int he general. sad system. broken. need open primaries

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think we are talking past each other.

Gates was a great SecDef and Obama was smart to keep him around for two years.

Huntsman was a legit Ambassador choice but appointing him had an added benefit of making his chance of winning the Republican nomination a lot harder. That was something that was not lost on the Obama political team. There were articles about it at the time.

It doesn’t mean the Obama Admin wasn’t picking the best people for key positions, just that they kept political considerations in mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Not a weird response. The charge levied, not by you, was Hillary wasn’t somewhat centrist. She was pretty center (for a liberal). A center liberal won’t ever pass for a republican though.

8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Are you a Russian Bot also????

;)

9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess we can agree to disagree. Although Huntsman's service as the US Ambassador to China had the effect of weakening his candidacy in the Republican primaries in 2012, I don't think it was a consideration in his selection by Obama. It was more like an unintended consequence that ended up as being a potential positive for Obama.

10. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It was well known at the time Huntsman was picked that he was possibly going to run in '12. Putting him in China for two to four years was going to hinder his ability to lay the groundwork for a run in '12. It wasn't the main reason for the pick but it was an added benefit.

Obama taps potential rival for China envoy

Obama taps potential rival to go to China

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Joe and Pete!

12. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    SIAP...

IMO, both parties have gone too far to their respective sides and as a result the real leader types don't even try anymore. You have to have a shtick (and it all costs a LOT of money) or else you become irrelevant. Are there Dems who could lead effectively? Probably not from anyone I know or else they would be in there trying to get the Pelosi's out of their positions. No one gets to lead unless you clean up YOUR MESS first. No one is doing that....on both sides.

And to this point, that is pretty much why Trump won (well except for how bad Hillary was as a candidate) and that was because he was NOT a part of the swamp. Or should I say he was an outsider to the inner workings of DC. I am quite sure he has utilized the DC process to his advantage.

Show me a Dem governor who has cleaned up corruption in his or her state and not grown their economy with smoke and mirrors and then I can see them getting my vote.

BTW, I vote Libertarian for the reasons I expound: no one is leading in the two political parties. Thinking two-party only is a losing proposition.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Have to concede that you're correct although I still do not think that Obama nominated him to preempt a possible Huntsman candidacy in 2012. In early 2009 we still hadn't reached the level of hyper partisanship in which participating in the administration of the Democratic president could be a disqualifying factor in the run for the Republican nomination. That changed in late 2009 and 2010 with the hyper-partisan Tea Party movement resulting in several incumbent relatively moderate Republican members of the House being primaried, in part, because they cooperated with Democrats.

14. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Pierre Delecto has my vote. Can't ask for a better named president.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It's belief of mine that the first thing a political campaign does after the sober up from winning their first Presidential campaign is start planning the second one. I think Obama looked at Huntsman as good pick for China 98% because he was well qualified and about 2% because it would take a popular, two term Republican Governor and send him half way around the world for three to four years.

Like I said earlier, Huntsman made a bet that Obama would governor in a more moderate way and when that did not happen, it became a losing bet for someone on the right.

16. mutz87

mutz87 C'est Moi VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Electo Delecto 2020

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    There is no other side for me. I'm anti-swamp, which makes me anti-major party. It gets me in trouble all the time in Lawyerland.

18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No reason you can't recognize the better candidates (or potential candidates) in either party. I've been independent for a long time. That's what I do.

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I don't think that I've ever commented on when somebody hits the like/dislike, etc until now.
    It's amusing that someone chose "off topic" on my original post in this thread, that's one that really can't apply can it?

• Funny Funny x 1