Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who would/could you support from the "other" side.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpa, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    No it isn't. Six to eight years is a typical service requirement for an officer. Since Pete was Intel, they probably made him commit to eight since he was getting a TS Clearance. He served his minimum time and got out while probably doing most of his time as part of an IMA det. The Naval Officer Reserve program, especially for Intel, is extremely popular for folks who want military service on their resume for political office. It's pretty clear that is exactly what Pete did. His wiki page even makes his reason for joining sound political: Buttigieg was spurred to join the military after witnessing the disparities between communities that had large amounts of youth missing due to military service and those that had barely any serving. (Someone also needs to clean up Pete's wiki page as it says he was an armed driver for his commander. Officer are not supposed to be driving HMMVW's.)

Gabbard was an enlisted solider, who went to OCS, and has deployed multiple times and continued to serve as part of an operational reserve unit. The Marine Corps calls it the SMCR. This is the one weekend a month, two weeks a year and to do that for over 12 years takes a lot of time and sacrifice. As an officer, it is a lot of time working for drill weekends that you don't get paid for. It's not a lot of fun and it takes a lot of commitment. The Marine Corps realize this and will ensure that anyone selected for an 0-5 or 0-6 level SMCR command has to have spent most of their time in the SMCR versus being in an IMA det.

So yeah, I'm impressed that Gabbard has been willing to do that over 16+ years and commit to being a military professional more than I am someone who did just their initial commitment.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Good info posted by the Marine. :)

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    A whole lot of "probably" in there to construct your narrative. A lot of assumptions. But, of course, one person committed to being a professional while the other one only served 8 years and was only deployed once instead of twice. So why exactly are you speculating so much to diminish the service of the more moderate person and build up the service of the more generally liberal and isolationist person (which appears to be completely against your ideology)? *Looks at right-wing and Russian media and notices that their interests in her appear to be aligned again in promoting her* Oh.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It's called reading between the lines and you learned to do it after almost 19 years of serving in the military. You run across a lot of folks like Pete, who joined to say they have military service but did the minimum. They are typically in billets that don't come with a lot of hazardous duty. The program Pete went through is well know to be the preferred route for politicos. You get a direct commission into the Navy and never have to go through OCS. If you don't believe me, read about it:

For politicians, the D.C. elite and even a presidential candidate, a Navy program has been an attractive fast-track path to military service

Tulsi didn't go that route. She went through boot camp and OCS and has done the hard work to stay in the reserves and become a military professional. So I'll take the one person I know is willing to work hard and lead versus the person who just wanted it on there resume.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    I dunno, you don't have to be a Russian asset to say that Mayor Pete probably spent 8 years mostly screwing around on his laptop in relative safety to polish his post-service resume, whether it was for political purposes or not (he could have just as easily cashed in the private sector).

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    There's barely any point to a ban on such abortions. Abortions that happen in the third trimester are mostly due to complications, are usually wanted pregnancies, and are hard on those who need them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I'm not going to argue with you about that but the point is she is the only one person on the Democratic side that has taken that position, which is unpopular with activists on the left.

8. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I don't know if you meant "argue" or "not argue", but I take your general point.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    By the same token though, her time in Iraq "probably" was quite similar to his time in Afghanistan.

10. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I didn't think it was possible that anybody could lie as much as that woman, but I have been proven wrong.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    "Reading between the lines" is a nice way to spin "making things up based on general knowledge and what fits my argument and applying them to a situation on which I have no specific knowledge."

The Fox News, RT, alt-right, and outright white supremacist crush on Gabbard still doesn't look at all on the level here. It looks like the more mainstream elements of the right are seeking common cause with the...let's say less mainstream...elements to boost her based on mutual interest.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Nope. It means I experienced working with these types and can can spot them when I see their background. 1. Already a working on a political campaign. 2. Get a direct commission and don't go to OCS. 3. Only do one deployment or less. 4. Don't do any military PME. 4. Go into the IRR when they can.

Pete meets all four of those. It fits the pattern for politicos that just want to claim military service. Pete was working on the Obama campaign and was told that if he wants a future in politics, he needs to have served in the military as an able body man while there are two conflicts going on. He gets steered to the direct commissioning program politicians use and requires the least effort. Told he needs to at least do one deployment but doesn't do more than that because he will have punched that ticket, even though he would have multiple additional opportunities to deploy because Intel Officers are always in demand. He doesn't pursue any military PME because he knows he is getting out. Then he hits the IRR when he can because it doesn't require any effort.

I've read that book before multiple times. Bottom line is when it comes to military service Pete is a poser and Tulsi is the real thing. Their military service is night and day when compared. And it's the reason military folks aren't impressed with Pete's service but respect Gabbard's.

You asked for an opinion and you got one. Stop accusing people who's opinions you don't like or don't agree with of having nefarious motives once they provide them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Centrist? You mean a centrist liberal?

I true centrist is a moderate with qualities from both sides.

14. tilly

Sad but maybe true.

15. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Centrists are center leaning. She was business friendly, strong on military, and sought to shore up not revolutionize healthcare. Try as you might you won’t find a anti-choice liberal who wants to let rich people pay a smaller portion of the burden and thrust Christianity on everyone while dumping chemicals in our lakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tilly

weird response. When have I wanted a candidate tov"thrust Christianity on anybody while dumping chemicals into our lakes"?

I was on record as saying I would possibly support a choice candidate in Florida (If I still loved there.) that would clean up big sugars pollution...and I voted for Trump man. That guy is a million miles from a Christian.

17. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Huntsman was exceptionally well qualified. He held positions under multiple presidents of both parties, served as governor of Utah, was CEO of a large private charitable foundation and held high level positions in a Fortune 500 company. What killed his candidacy in 2012 was his service as the US Ambassador to China under Obama. As Huntsman himself explained, he represented the United States not Barack Obama. Unfortunately for Jon Huntsman and the country, Republican primary voters in 2012 weren't capable of distinguishing between the two.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The issue with Huntsman in '12 was that he was perceived to be a Romeny Mini-Me. Fair or not, he seemed to be the other Mormon in the race and the one that had served in the Obama Administration. Huntsman took a risk and assumed Obama would govern as more of a moderate than he did. The bet did not pay off and the Republican base was not interested in hearing from someone who worked for Obama Admin's Department of State, whether he was representing the US or not, especially when you had someone with a very similar resume and background in Romney.

To be fair, it was a brilliant political move by Obama as it essentially removed Huntsman as a potential rival for '12.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I want Justin Amash to run.

Would have voted Huntsman then and now.

There is no Dem that I would vote for.

My right-in vote will be for Amash in 2020.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. fredsanford

fredsanford GC Hall of Fame

Dec 1, 2008
    Write in