Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who would/could you support from the "other" side.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpa, Oct 18, 2019.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I think of it as the NASCAR Trump voter. They will turn out for Trump and other Republican's need them to turn out for their races but can't get them to unless Trump is backing them up. It puts Republicans in a tough spot, as they don't want to be primaried but don't like the majority of what Trump is doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I can't cross over because there is no moderate on abortion. Even Moulton who is considered moderate opposes any restrictions. Even parental notification. I will never vote that way.

My early leaning this time is hoping another pub candidate shows up, third party or simply no vote for POTUS and sticking to local issues and prop votes.

3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They can't have another candidate. They have canceled the primaries or caucuses in multiple states. Can't win if there is no election.

4. tilly

...to add to my above statement. I would vote for Bob Casey, but he decided against running.

5. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Start at 2:30 and watch until 3:30.

I may not agree with her on everything but she at least has the courage to tell Democrats things that they don't want to hear and gore politically scared cows. It also doesn't hurt that she is a serving Army Officer and knows how to plan.

6. tilly

Yeah... I know. I just keep hoping someone will start a revolution and force people hand, but I know that isn't how it works.

7. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    That isn't a super strong argument. She takes the same position as tons of other Democrats, including the last nominee, on abortion (the "safe, legal, and rare" line is almost cliche at this point) but insults Democrats while doing it? That is your argument in favor of her? Sounds more like what you like is that she insults Democrats while having basically the same policy positions, other than in her support for Putin and Assad.

8. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Gabbert is actually against third trimester abortions.

9. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    crowd pic at a trump rally?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator King of the Tuck Tuck Sound Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    She's hot and she used to play with guns

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    She is a serving military officer, has a reasonable position on abortion, can actually admit that Trump won in ‘16, both of which requires political courage to do with how insane Democrats become when they are told that. She also has a non-intervention policy which I may disagree with but understand her reasoning. I also don’t think she is batsh*t crazy which I think a couple candidates are.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    They never seemed to have much interest in her until the right-wing media sources viewed her as useful in suppressing Democratic votes. She is not a moderate on literally any issue. She is pretty far left on every policy except abortion, where she is basically mainstream Democratic.

13. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Buttigieg is a veteran that is more moderate than Gabbard is and you declared him "too far left." And he isn't a "non-interventionist," which you apparently disagree with, but is a positive for some reason for Gabbard. He also isn't useful to the right-wing media as a voter suppression device. Perhaps that is the difference.

14. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Mayor Pete had a hot cup of coffee in the Navy Reserve long enough to do one deployment as an Intel FOBIT. He isn’t a serving military officer who has been promoted multiple times and taken Professional Military Education for promotion. Tulsi has actually led men and women in a combat zone. It takes a lot of time, effort, and grit to stay in the reserves and get promoted and continue to serve. That is something I respect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I’m surprised none have tried for the middle. Say for example, not raising their hand regarding support for health ins for all undocumented workers/illegal aliens. Not doing this is a more moderate view (right or wrong). They could get many dem voters that turn away from far left leaning platforms. vast majority of intelligent people agree trump is awful. But is the alternative Bernie or bust?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    She wasn't really a household name either, she was just a random congress person from Hawaii. I wouldn't describe Gabbard as "far left" on that many issues, but rather idiosyncratic and incoherent. That incoherence actually meshes well with a lot of normal people's politics. Plus, I'm sure the fact that she's often at odds with the DNC or party establishment doesn't hurt with non-Democrats either (kind of like Sanders).

17. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    You guys had a centrist candidate in 2016. Hillary is not a far left wacko. You went with psycho man instead because, you know, email servers and Seth Rich. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Twenty or 30 years ago a candidate's position on abortion was the bottom line deciding factor for me, but I am convinced there will be no substantial changes from what we have now. The two sides ceaselessly oppose the other, each championing candidates that support their respective causes. The cynic within me thinks the bitter contention will continue, all to the financial benefit of various PACs and lobbyists hired by either side.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    This is why moderate is a more or less useless term in political discourse. When people say "I wish they would nominate a moderate," they are essentially just saying "I wish they'd nominate someone who speaks directly to my individual, hyper-specific concerns." If "moderate" is just a style or tone (rather than a set of policy specifics), Mayor Pete should be the picture by the dictionary definition, right next to John Kasich.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    8 years is a heck of a cup of coffee. I think your need to disparage his service as an officer, even using a pejorative term for it, while praising her service as an officer gives up the game here.