Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who would/could you support from the "other" side.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatorpa, Oct 18, 2019.

1. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Just curious, in the hyper partisan world we live in who would support for High office form the other side the aisle. I understand there are some Indy's/Libertarians here, welcome their input even though they may not feel like they have a opposite side...…

I'm not really sure who I could support on the Dem side given the choices, if I had too I guess Biden, because I don't think he would govern from the far left.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. Instigator22

Instigator22 Sophomore

Nov 10, 2014
    I like centrist candidates. Fiscal conservative but socially progressive. That is where our country mostly is (was before cable news shows)

I could never vote for trump or sanders.

I like Mayor Pete and Gov Kasich — neither will get a chance I’m afraid

Mayor Pete is unusually brilliant and has policies rooted in facts. Kasich is kind hearted and has a rare gravity towards the common good. (He talks more about mental health than anyone else). Trump has none of this clearly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    On the left, Yang, Mayor Pete and Biden in that order

On the right, Condi Kasich, or Romney

I will vote for anybody but Trump. He is a blight 8n our nation. But I may not "support" his opponent depending on who it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    It seems we are aligned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I really liked Kasich a few years ago, but something seems off with him health wise, he 's aged far more than what I would expect as a Gov.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. camp1

camp1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hard for me to determine what the "other side" is any more. I am a moderate with views that could be from either side of the aisle.

Right now I am trying to figure out which of the democratic candidates best appeal to me. Frankly, there are too many of them for me to really narrow it down too much, but basically the closer to the middle they are, the more I like them although I can find flaws with each.

I would vote for any Democrat over Trump at this point although some of them are too far left for my tastes. They do seem like reasonable humans, though.

I prefer a moderate willing to work to to unify a divided nation, working with both parties to try to find some political common ground that seems to have disappeared lately.

Right now, Biden would be my choice in a general election. I wish the Republicans would start to distance themselves from Trump and seriously consider a high character moderate and I would be willing to accept that as compromise right now. I also know that would likely split the party in half, so not realistic unless something major comes up.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Tulsi, Biden, or Yang.

Mayor Pete is still too far left but thinks if he talks in a reasonable voice he'll stand out, which may be working. I also don't think he has enough experience at this point.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    [​IMG]
    This Guy

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015

I like both Yang and Condi from your list. I like the idea of non career politicians. Ms. Rice has experience working with the govt. Yang I worry is a bit too flaky but my dog would make a better president than Trump and my dog died last month.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    these sound good. I don’t actually know much about yang.

on the right, I also like Jon Hunstman, though he seems like a name from the past at this point. Interestingly, he was the ambassador to Russia for the last couple years. Interview with him was published today:

Jon Huntsman Jr. On Putin, Diplomacy Under Trump And A Possible Bid For The Governor's Mansion

• Like Like x 1
  11. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Romney. Kasich. Huntsman.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    At this point, trump has set the bar so almost unfathomably low that anything would be better than this.
    But ideally give me a centrist from either side, who actually respects the office and doesn’t spend their day insulting anyone who disagrees with them...and is willing to work with the other party to solve:
    The Debt
    Social security
    Infrastructure
    Our military burden around the world

and actually listens to science (and actual experts in their admin) on important issues, and not their pastor.

thats all I need.

honestly, that should be every president.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    The dead corpse of Thaddeus Stevens or Adelbert Ames.

14. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I really liked Huntsman in 12; thought the Pubs nominated the wrong Utahan. Wish he or Romney had waited. Or someone would recruit Condi.

on the Dem side, I like Klobuchar or Mayor Pete but would take Biden for 4 years if it means giving up the current Toddler in Chief. I actually think Warren may govern slightly more center than she campaigns, and Bernie scares the crap out of me, a combo of Karl Marx and Chris Lloyd’s Back to the Future character.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I'd vote for this guy before I'd vote for Trump

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Sep 14, 2008
    I could still vote for Trump if the Democrats nominate Warren or Sanders. I didnt vote for him in 2016. Barring that I will probably vote for whoever they nominate, but still a long way to go.

17. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The word is that the Romenys and the Huntsmans really do not like each other. Supposed Huntsman Sr is the one that told Harry Reid that Romeny hadn't paid any taxes for a couple years. I think Huntsman would be a good President but I don't see him being a great candidate.

Condi would be great but I don't think she wants to fun for office. I could see her being a better NFL Commissioner than the Ginger Hammer though.

18. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    I met Condi at Berckman’s Place at Augusta National about 3 years ago, albeit very briefly. A handshake and a hello, really. But she gave off a great vibe and of course her pedigree speaks for itself. I’d easily crossover to vote for her if she was running against an extremist Dem.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Romney. Kasich on the GOP side.

But I must admit I'm so infuriated with the GOP and their kowtowing to
    Trump it would be hard to vote republican. Maybe if Hillary won the nomination again but short of that I don't see myself pulling a red lever in Nov. 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    What exactly is the attraction of Gabbard to the right? She has basically Bernie's positions on economic matters and supports Syrian and Russian leadership. I have trouble believing it is genuine, but I am interested in hearing somebody try to convince me that their interest in her is genuine rather than simply trying to advance her as a way of suppressing votes or advancing Russian interests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1