Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who leaves early for the NFL?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Dec 20, 2020.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    No way these guys return:
    Pitts- declared but we all knew it.
    Trask- Gone
    Toney- Gone
    Grimes- gone

Hopeful they’ll consider returning:
    Carter- not likely
    Slaton- should be in “he gone” category.
    Campbell- could use another year but probably won’t.

Should return and would make a difference:

Dunlap-not a major impact player but improved and does a nice job on stretch plays with getting penetration. Would easily push to be a starter and play at least 25 to 30 snaps a game.

Wells-I know he’s been around a long time and he’s really worked his way back into the good graces of the coaching staff but really feel like he could be a solid possession receiver next year and catch 20 to 25 balls next year.

Copeland- has a chance to really improve his draft status next year, be the number one guy, and really put out some good tape that shows him consistently catching balls. Dropped way too many this year. If he left I’m sure he would be picked but he’s not ready. Too many inconsistencies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Unless Trask is financially independent and just loves playing college ball it would make no sense to come back.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    How did Saban get these guys that
    Or first round draft picks to return

Najee and DeVonta Smith???

yet we will have guys like Slaton, Campbell, and Carter leave. I get Slaton but Campbell and Carter are not going in first 3 rounds. Dan’s gotta focus on keeping some guys from turning pro early especially when that seems to be best for them. Copeland another one that really could parlay next year into millions. He needs to show consistency in catching the ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

Fast cars, hot woman and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    SEC-CG: Kyle Trask quotes and Q & A | GatorCountry.com

7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know but I would be thrilled to see Carter and one or two others on the D-line come back next year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Most Bama guys do light loads early sitting behind other 5 stars. They then get 1/2 years to play surrounded by other talent with a good bench behind them when they are hurt/tired. We lean on more scarce talent much harder and they do not get breaks b/c we do not have a bench.

I agree Copeland needs to come back. Like Toney did by returning this year, he can up his stock a lot. Would love a couple of the DL to return but not sure they up their stock? Maybe Carter if he balls out b/c I think he has more upside that could be shown. Folks look at these guys and think "they are not going in first 3 rounds so stay" but the average NFL career is 2 years and they are all one play away from never making a dime. Making $600k and making a roster for a year can make a huge difference in their lives. Wish them all the best on tough decisions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. RipCurl

RipCurl Junior

Apr 7, 2010
    The way Trask played this season I guarantee you there is already a team making draft arrangements to snag him. It would not be wise to come back.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I think everyone would agree with you 10 times over but for some reason we always have guys leave that could benefit from another year. I think Dan really needs to win these recruiting battles first. I’m not sure some would understand how big it would before Campbell and Carter to come back. I get Slaton but no one else. Carter is up and down and Campbell barely played half of a season. He needs to weight 5th to 6th round versus a chance of being drafted in rounds 1-2 next year with a big year. No doubts in my mind he’s dominant next year if he comes back. You, those guys with Dexter, cox, and hopefully we have enough sense to get Presley on the field and that is a nasty d line. I’d also say this Chatfield makes things happen. Needs snaps. Princely needs snaps.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Diesel350z

Diesel350z GC Legend

Apr 29, 2007
    Gonna miss Kyle Pitts. Such an amazing talent.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Good points. I get Slaton as he’s gonna go rounds 2-3 probably.
    Campbell is smallish at 6’2 295-300 and projects late rounds like 6-7 MAYBE.

Carter will go as high as the 5th round If things go well.

would think these guys would come back.

13. denny_crane

denny_crane All American

Apr 14, 2007
    Copeland needs to do whatever Toney did last off season to improve his pass catching and route running skills.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. gatordee

gatordee GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2007
    orlando
    Trask leaving will actually help the D imo. I do not see Jones being a quick scorer and that may give our D a rest at times. Just being hopeful

15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If Copeland leaves it won't be to the NFL

Wasn't he complaining about the lack of balls coming his way early this season?

16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Kyle Trask is definitely gone. His girlfriend is Jade Caraway who was the starting CF on the softball team last year. She's 5'10" and quite the looker. If they are still together, that is plenty of reason to make his way to the NFL.

17. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    Idk how he gets the RBs to stay, Harris isn't the first. But Smith, as good as he is, was the 3rd or 4th best WR on just his own team last year. Ruggs and Jeudy were 1st rounders (and got more PT) and Waddle got a lot of PT as well. Probably wouldn't have gone 1st round if he'd left last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cubangator

cubangator GC Legend

Jul 8, 2017
    Not only tha but 3/5of their OL including their left tackle who should be a first rounder.

19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Agree but coming into this year there was some question as to how the WR Corp would be after the guys who left last year

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yes sir has led to their domination this year for sure. Consider that Smith and Harris accounted for every touchdown this year. Without their seniors it’s still a very good team but nowhere near as good.