Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who is the greatest Gator Coach ever?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by enviroGator, May 24, 2018.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Billy and Steve are tied for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I could debate between Spurrier, Donovan, or Reese. O'Sullivan is about to be added to that group.

I personally do not think that Meyer belongs in any comparison to Spurrier. Spurrier won 7 SEC titles in 12 years. Won 1 NC and lost another to arguably the best college football team ever. Was 1 loss away in 98, and 01 from playing for 2 more.

Program was clean, game days were incredible. If' that's not enough, the jabs ( Can't spell Citrus without a U and a T, Free Shoes University, the tragedy of the Auburn fire) at our rivals were priceless.

Meyer is an opportunist. Give me 30 minutes to interview the posters on this board and I could assemble a staff that could have gone 7-5 with the team that Zook left him. That roster was absolutely stacked. No weaknesses! I really believe that if Spurrier had come back after Zook he would have won the NC in 05 and 06 with that team. Meyer won two SEC Championships in 6 years.

Additionally, Spurrier only lost 3 regular season games once in 12 seasons, Meyer lost 3 regular season games three times in 6. Spurrier lost 27 games in 12 years, Meyer lost 15 in 6. Five of Spurrier's 27(19%) losses were to the National Champions, 2 of Meyer's 15(13%) were to the National Champs.

Finally, Spurrier went to South Carolina, yes South Carolina and brought it a level of success that they had never dreamed possible with . Meyer, once again the opportunist, went to Ohio State and once again inherited a tremendously stacked roster from Jim Tressel and has had similar success as Tressel.

Meyer's does have the advantage over Spurrier in National Championships and that is huge. But it is his only advantage over Spurrier. Relative to the overall body of work, I believe that Spurrier has a significant advantage.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    IMO, the true greatness of Coach Donovan will be determined by what Coach White does with the role. As soon as White wins another National Championship, or at least gets us back to the title game, then the significance of what Billy D accomplished goes up a notch. Donovan will then go down as the coach who not only got us two titles and four Final Four appearances, but also as the coach who ESTABLISHED our basketball program as an elite one, a status that transcended his tenure.

On the other hand, if, God forbid, the hoops team ends up fading back into mediocrity under Coach White and subsequent coaches, then Billy D becomes more of a flash in the pan (albeit an extended, 19-year flash) who was great while he was here but took the greatness of the program with him when he left.

That said, basketball will always be second fiddle to football IMO, so using that same logic, I regard Coach Spurrier as not only my personal favorite coach but also our greatest overall Gator coach, because he is the one who made our football program an elite one.

Although his successor Zook was not a good X's and O's coach, the eliteness of the program that SOS established enabled Zook to keep bringing in top recruits. Meyer was then able to get us back to the mountaintop with that core of recruits plus others he added, capitalizing on that same elite status that was inherited from what Spurrier did. It was SOS who made us a contender. He deserves all the credit for that.

One last point, though. If you want to talk purely objectively about the greatest coach who has has ever been at UF, as opposed to the greatest coach in terms of what he meant to UF, then you have to give Urban Meyer a look, based on the overall coaching success he's had both before and after leading the Gators.

In other words, out of all the coaches we've had, Meyer is probably the one who will end up ranked the highest on an objective list of all-time greatest NCAA coaches. It's the same logic that says Bear Bryant is the greatest football coach Kentucky and Texas A&M ever had, irrespective of what their teams did while he was there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's hard to denounce anything Urbans accomplished regardless of being a gator loyalist.

Spurrier is/was a great coach. So is urban. It's akin to selecting who's hotter between Gal Gadot, Blake lively and Jennifer Lawrence. Several great choices no clear answer. Personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    For 2nd? ;)

6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    To borrow your analogy; Spurrier is the beautiful girl that is low maintenance, is always pleasant, and never embarrasses herself or you in public.

Meyer is the beautiful girl that when you take her to dinner you always have to leave the server an extra nice tip to make up for the way your date treated them.

Both are beautiful, but one broke your heart when she left you after 12 years, while the other you were pretty much done putting up with after 6.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    And then you ended up with two of the ugliest, dumbest, whinest girls on the planet, and mean old Meyer started looking pretty good again. But she was now taken by one of the biggest jackasses in the Universe, so you took the next best thing, a Meyer protégé.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gnvgator

gnvgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    THANX PEGEEN!
    KENTUCKY HAS A HECK OF A PUNTER. I KNOW THAT.

THERE ARE NO VANDERBILTS IN THE NFL

YOU CAN HAVE GOOD BALLPLAYERS AND STILL NOT WIN FOOTBALL GAMES — ALL YOU LSU FANS KNOW ABOUT THAT.

THERE ARE PEOPLE IN KNOXVILLE AND FAYETTEVILLE STILL DOING CARTWHEELS OVER GOING 7-6

I DIDN'T KNOW JADEVEON'S CAR COULD GO THAT FAST. HE DOESN'T HAVE A PRETTY CAR LIKE THOSE FSU GUYS USED TO DRIVE

YOU KNOW WHAT FSU STANDS FOR, DON'T YOU? FREE SHOES UNIVERSITY

IN 12 YEARS AT FLORIDA, I DON'T THINK WE EVER SIGNED A KID FROM THE STATE OF ALABAMA...OF COURSE, WE FOUND OUT LATER THAT THE SCHOLARSHIP THEY WERE GIVING OUT AT ALABAMA WERE WORTH A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN OURS

I KNOW WHY PEYTON CAME BACK FOR HIS SENIOR YEAR. HE WANTED TO BE A THREE-TIME STAR OF THE CITRUS BOWL

I DON'T KNOW. I SORT OF ALWAYS LIKE PLAYING [GEORGIA] THAT SECOND GAME BECAUSE YOU COULD ALWAYS COUNT ON THEM HAVING TWO OR THREE KEY PLAYERS SUSPENDED

YOU CAN'T SPELL CITRUS WITHOUT THE U-T

ON A FIRE AT AN AUBURN LIBRARY THAT DESTROYED 20 BOOKS: "THE REAL TRAGEDY WAS THAT 15 HADN'T BEEN COLORED YET."

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol

11. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Spurrier. As fun as it gets on and off the field. All that confidence and swagger. 3rd and 19? No problem, we run that play at 22 yards. The Best!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, there's nothing like calling a fake punt from your own 9 yard line in the SEC Championship game for a huuuge 1st down. Just sayin. Meyer was alot of fun too. No slouch in big time games/plays in his tenure.

13. Too current. Ray Graves started it all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. FraserGator15

FraserGator15 Sophomore

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    Spurrier
    Billy D
    Urban Meyer
    Tim Walton
    Mike Holloway
    Mary wise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm really glad this thread is still going so I can contribute again to it. I've had more thoughts...
    Full disclosure- I'm a UF track alum, so I'm partial to track and Mouse, of course.
    And Holloway should definitely be in our top 5.

But I just spent 11 days in New England and New York on vacation.
    I wore my Gator shirt on a few of those days, and I got so many "go Gators" comments that I lost count.
    And I heard them in the oddest places. (The Providence airport, on a trolley in Newport, RI.

Think about that- I was 1500+ miles from Florida- in a place that isn't known for college football.
    Yet there was much Gator love everywhere I went.

And this after 8 years of mediocrity on the football field. You would think Gator nation would be shrinking after these dark times- yet it surely wasn't.

There's one reason for this. Steve Spurrier.

So it's not about numbers, though the numbers are impressive.
    It's about the Gator nation- which manifests itself in a million different ways.

And Spurrier did that. He established the brand throughout the entire nation, despite taking over the program in a very difficult time. (Being investigated by the NCAA, with the other 2 programs in the state at the top of their game.)

So Stephen Orr Spurrier, final answer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    excellent post my man. I struggle with this question as UF has truly been blessed with such a list of great coaches

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Perhaps I missed it, but Andy Brandi deserves to be in the conversation.

18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Legend

Apr 24, 2007
    I have been a Gator football fan since the late 60s. I don't think that any other school has had a list of coaches with as much character over those years as ours. Here's my take on our football coaches for the last 50 years.

Ray Graves: Started the modern era of Gator football. Started the UF tradition of throwing the ball.
    Doug Dickey: as much a Gator as anyone has ever been. Played for UF, loved UF, but a few key factors passed him by and he didn't adapt to them well.
    Charley Pell: Great man, made the mistake of believing that he could get away with the same things that Bryant, Dye, Majors, Bowden, Dooley, Holtz, and Switzer were doing.
    Galen Hall; VERY underrated coach. No other coach in NCAA history has lost 10 scholarships/year for two years without having at least one losing season. Galen's worst season was 6-5, went 40-17-1 in six years while short 10-20 scholarships in four of them.
    Steve Spurrier: Nothing else to say but incredible man and coach.
    Ron Zook: A little over his head in his first HC job. Good man, no one can question where his heart was or the phenomenal efforts he made to fill our locker room with NFL caliber talent.
    Urban Meyer: 3 incredible seasons, one good season, one below average season, one horrendous season. Left the program in pretty bad shape.
    Will Muschamp: Also over his head in first HC job. Gave it his all. Seems to have learned from his mistakes.
    Jim McElwain: Didn't get the memo that you have to hold your assistants accountable for performance.

19. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
  20. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe you could add Greg Troy to that list. He just retired from Collegiate coaching in April of this year btw.

• Like Like x 1