Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who is the greatest Gator Coach ever?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by enviroGator, May 24, 2018.

1. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    So this gets kicked around from time to time.

Spurrier? Got us our first football NC and a bunch of SEC championships.

Billy D? Back to back NC's in basketball! Got to be a contender right?

Well today I realized that Mike Holloway has won 8 National Championships during his 22 years at UF! WHAT???????? 8 National Championships!!!!!! And he has a inside shot at making that 9 in just a few weeks.

I don't know about you, but to me I'm thinking... GAME OVER!! Mike Holloway IS the greatest coach UF has ever had. Love Spurrier and Billy D, but 8 Natties is AMAZING!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I know that we call ourselves the Everything School, but football is king, and the king of kings in Title Town is named Steve Spurrier. Billy Donovan is a close second. I will accept Urban Meyer or Mike Holloway in any order after that.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think mouse is the best coach on campus, but he technically has 6 shots to win a national title every year (men’s and women’s indoor, outdoor and CC). Not a fair comparison numbers wise.
    I will say though that of he goes the full 10 years on his contract (or longer) at the pace of the last few years he really could stand alone when all is said and done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Let me spell it out for you: SOS
    It's all about longevity and determination.
    Myer got up for big games, but didn't have the heart to last.

OVERALL WINNING %
    Spurrier - 81%
    Meyer - 81%
    Zook - 61%
    Muschamp - 59%
    McElwain - 59%

AGAINST RANKED TEAMS
    Meyer - 66%
    Spurrier - 64%
    Muschamp - 42%
    Zook - 33%
    McElwain - 31%

AGAINST UN-RANKED TEAMS
    Spurrier - 98%
    Meyer - 90%
    Zook - 85%
    McElwain - 76%
    Muschamp - 75%

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  5. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    SOS.....Not only did he change UF...
    He changed the SEC...forever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And SOS would have had a second NC in 2001 if two atrocities hadn't happened. 9/11 (postponement of the Tennessee game) and Darnell Dockett.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  7. FusionGator

FusionGator Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    In terms of hardware, Mary Wise. And it's not even close. Now the knock against her is no national title.

I don't know how much she gets paid, but she deserves to be one of the higher paid coaches at UF.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. g8rboy

g8rboy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Spring Hill, FL
    Tough.

Spurrier did the remarkable

Donovan did the impossible

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Urban has the titles and without them we are two behind the Noles so two thirds of our titles say Urban was the winner on that one.

But Spurrier will always be the most popular and greatest in his own way also
    As a player and coach of our first Natty

I waited from the early 70’s to tie the Noles who made the title game in round ball along with Jacksonville who made it also

It took decades later to tie that but won it back to back which will stand for few decades in this state

So shout out to Billy for that one

Fact is we have a great collection of coaches to be proud of still

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    No Naties is a pretty big knock. But she is a great coach and UF is lucky to have her for sure.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    SOS

12. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    1) Billy D 2) SoS 3) Mary Wise

13. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    If you open it up to All Sports, then that makes things impossible to judge for the elegant reason that simply counting National Titles, even as a proportion of year's coached (which is better), is a far, far too simplistic way of looking at things.

A coach in any sport has many, many, many roles other than merely recruiting and winning games. Typically, HUMANS tend to take the simple rather than the complex to avoid thinking, with is the major reason we have in the White House right now the Death-To-Our-Country-And-The-World and life only to ME guy we have.

Because no simplistic form of Analytic/Scientific thinking can even begin to comprehend such a complex issue, and since no single person, or even any group has a complete basis for judging this, it's a really silly, although typical thinking the I'm Better than You Are club.

Note that I don't mean these comments as criticism, because this is the type of simplistic thinking that has utterly dominated foolish humans since our beginnings. By the way, it's the same exact type of thinking that got Socrates and Themistocles destroyed in Athens (due to their going beyond such simplicity).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think it's clear that Mike Holloway (Mouse) doesn't get the respect he deserves.

While it's true he technically gets 6 chances for a natty each year, so do many track/ cross-country coaches around the country. (Edit: And I think very few have 6 nattys as he does.)

Furthermore, he took us from an also-ran to one of the top programs in the USA during his tenure. I don't think we had ever won a natty in any track/ XC before Mouse arrived. It was rare we even got close.

Having said that, I agree it's not a fair comparison to any other UF coach. It's apples to oranges.
    IMO Mouse is top 5 all time, but I would not say he's the best.

Tim Walton, Steve Spurrier, Billy Donovan should all be up there too.
    I don't think Meyer is in the top 5 mix because he didn't stay long enough.

Hopefully Themistocles will appreciate the non-simplistic thinking of this post...

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    "Greatest" is very subjective.
    To me, it will always be SOS. He broke through for us and gave us a title in our biggest sport. And he came home to roost after he was done coaching. Donovan is a close second.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

/thread killer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. enviroGator

Apr 12, 2007
    Leave it themistocles to complicate a simple debate! lol... But yes, I agree. And the responses here show a variety of "valuations" being used to define "the greatest".

Which coach has meant the most to UF? I think as others have said this is Steve Spurrier hands down. Football is king and pays the bills for all the other programs. SOS took us from a good program to one of the Nations elite programs.

My tip of the hat to Holloway is based on which coach has shown the most dominance in their sport during their run. Here I think I need to go with Holloway. It is also worth noting that UF had never won a championship in track (I don't believe anyway) until he got here and he had to unthrone Arkansas and LSU who were the 800 lb gorillas in track.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007
    My $.02.

When you can have several legitimate arguments about which coach at your University is the best, that is a good argument and a good problem to have.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Bushmaster

Apr 9, 2007
    I just read Mary Wise's credentials and remember watching the Gators play for a national title this year. Should have won that. Didn't realize she had been here since 1991.

She has one hell of a won/loss record.

You all think she can coach offensive line??

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    O'Sullivan quickly working his way into contention. As is Walton.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1