Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) who is coming back next year for softball?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by buckeyegator, May 29, 2021.

1. msa3

msa3 Premium Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Colorado
    The transfer he needs is a hitting coach who'll stand up to him and tell him the game has changed. You can't wait on free bases -- you have to be aggressive at the plate and WANT TO HIT, not just get on base.

Until he brings in a new philosophy, it doesn't matter what players he brings in.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Cordova left way before Wallace transferred in. She was in the 2018 signing class, was on the original roster for 2019, but transferred out before the first game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  3. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Gotcha. I was thinking she transferred last year.

4. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Junior

Oct 10, 2008
    I remember he changed his philosophy when Florida was just a HR or bust team. He has to see the way the offense has gone down hill the last few years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    If you look at the signing classes the last 4 years, there have been a lot of misses - girls who just never panned out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Personally I like the philosophy of getting on base because obviously it leads to rbis and makes the pitcher work. But there has to be a balance there like in 2015 and maybe even up until 2019 but more like 2017. You have to have hitters to hit to get those rbis. Once you get people on base you have to be aggressive. I think like others have said that honestly some recruits just haven’t panned out especially in the hitting sense. Romanello for instance was supposed to be a big power hitter but I remember Walton saying before something along the lines of she just couldn’t hit better pitching and develop basically and it seems the same I see true for others. Also a new hitting coach is coming imo. I think between last years bunch and this years they may change the tide a bit about recruits not planning out. Cottrill has already had some great moments and got more consistent and is also terrific behind the plate. I feel like Wilkie will be great and I think Goelz will turn into a Dewitt like player as she is really good defensively, versatile, and seems like she’ll be able to grow over her career offensively. I think she,at have been battling injury later in the season with he not subbing in defensively like normal. Idk why and could be completely wrong but Goddard has that feel to me like a switch is going to flip and she could be scary good offensively. Then going on to next years class it seems like they have a lot of potential to be real difference makers. Remember it wasn’t that long ago that that senior class of 2016 brought this program back up to the top during their time and I would say we haven’t really went from the top even though we didn’t make it to wcws. This team performed very well from what I was expecting and were just a few bats from making it back to OKC. Pitching gained a ton of pressure experience this year and should only be better for it next year with the addition of young arms. Losing Chronister hurts more than I ever imagined but I think Pittman may fill her role if not do more next year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    Speaking of new players did we recruit the pitcher from ghs on James madison,seems she is a good one,even with the competition.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    I know it's a couple of years away, but we have the Top 2 players in the 2023 signing class (available to play the 2024 season) - pitcher Keagan Rothrock & infielder/hitter Mia Williams, daughter of Gator basketball great Jason Williams. Also, in the 2022 class, playing in 2023, we have the #2 & #4 rated players committed - Sam Roe, a slugging catcher, and Kaila Pollard, a lefty SS/OF. And for the 2024 class, playing in 2025, we have the #3 player in the nation committed in Layla Lamar, a slugging corner infielder, plus a hitting prodigy named Alexia Carrasquello, who made national news when she committed to the Gators as an 11-year old, but is now being mentored in Orlando by former Gator great Alicia Ocasio. None of this help us immediately, but we do have a bunch of great players in the pipeline.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    That’s really cool about Ocasio mentoring Carrasquello. Love the way she’s played. I’ve heard the Rothrock and Roe kids are legit.

10. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    I was wondering the same watching her. Surely if we did she would’ve went to UF over JMU.

11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Alissa Humphrey was rated as the #73 recruit in the 2020 class. Signed with Jacksonville originally, then transferred to James Madison December 2020. In the shortened 2020 season, she threw 47 innings for Jacksonville with a 0.00 ERA and 106 K's. She attended Gainesville High, where she broke all of Katie Chronister's records. She was 3x All State in 7A and 2X 7A Florida High school pitcher of the year. In a newspaper article after she signed with Jacksonville, she said she grew up admiring the Florida Gator softball team and got inspiration watching them play. Her high school coach was Chronister's Dad. But she never said why she signed with Jax, just that she was excited to be going there. Appears Tim Walton didn't recruit her.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018

13. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Apparently not. I wonder if there was a scholarship or grade hold up potentially. Just seems odd. Looking forward to see how she performs against top level if they play her. Could see that being a potential transfer in the future though if she wants a bigger stage if she did so again, but I'm quite sure Walton would've been aware of her in the portal last year. Although we are pretty deep at the pitching position.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Here's another softball player signed in January 2020, spent the fall semester in Gainesville, then transferred to Cal State Fullerton where she was the #3 pitcher on their staff this spring. Can't find why she left - homesick, lack of expected playing time?
    Gators Add Serrata to 2020 Signing Class - Florida Gators

15. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    guess getting that top notch hitting coach was more important.

16. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    I always wondered what happened with her, I heard she was ripping the ball whenever she had a chance in the fall. But then all of a sudden she was gone.

17. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am ready to see whoever is off the roster off the online roster

18. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think the outfield recruiter is also the hitting coach.... I want his job !! No one will ever sit on 2 strikes w/o swinging the bat, plus speed is so necessary to chase down those foul territory balls

19. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I'm sure that's it. You don't go to Jacksonville or JMU if you can get into UF. One thing about UF's academic rise is that its become a much more rigorous environment. It's one thing if you are a football star, thinking that you'll leave after a couple of years for the big $$$ in the NFL. It's quite another to be a softball star, where you need to be able to pass classes and get a diploma at the end of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    I know we’re not in need of one but catchers Taylor Ellsworth from Texas and Ally Shipman from Tennessee are both in the portal. Also a couple of pitchers from OU. Also not sure if it’s been brought up here but Tony Baldwin is the new UGA head coach.

• Informative Informative x 1