Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) who is coming back next year for softball?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by buckeyegator, May 29, 2021.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    thought i saw somewhere adams and lugo, that would be really good.

2. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Junior

Oct 10, 2008
    Lugo and Adams are coming back.

We add Wallace the Alabama transfer at SS.

I’ll be curious to see what players Walton tells to hit the transfer portal this off season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I'll be there. LOL.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    We only lose Chronister, Lindaman, Hoover, Matthews, plus any girls who transfer out. There are 4 incoming freshmen, including the #2 rated pitching prospect in the 2021 class. Skylar Wallace from Alabama had to sit out this year and should take over at SS. As a freshman she started 68 games at 2nd base and hit .295 with a .429 on base percentage and 7 HR's, 18/18 in stolen bases. She was, also, on the U19 USA National Team. In 2020 she started all 22 Bama games at SS and was hitting .387, slugging percentage of .581 at the Covid shutdown. Solid defender and a definite upgrade at the plate. My guess is that Walton will also pull in at least 1 big time hitter, as we need to replace Lindaman at first, Hoover in LF and then find a right fielder who can hit. Avery Goelz was the #5 player in the nation in our 2020 class. She was hitting around .300 and playing RF and 1B the first half of this season. But when we hit the SEC schedule she struggled and ended up sitting most of the last 1/3 of the season. She was a big time prospect, Florida Player of the Year, 1st Team All American, etc. Expect her to make a move in 2022.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. NWGaGator

NWGaGator Senior

Apr 8, 2007
    The post by ocalaman is a pretty good summary of where is roster is. I just looked over this year's roster and saw five players who I thought might consider transferring. I won't mention names, but they didn't see much playing time this year and didn't hit well. I hate to see anyone leave; I'd much rather they all stay and improve their games and earn playing time. But if anyone does leave, it opens a spot for an incoming transfer.

I also think Avery Goelz and Emily Wilkie will be much better players for us next year and move into the starting lineup. I'm hoping that they both can hit around .300.

So my guess at the starting lineup--

c--Cottrill (thanks, I fixed it)
    1b--Goelz
    2b--Adams
    ss--Wallace
    3b--Echols
    lf--transfer who hits .400 and 20 hr
    cf--Lindsay
    rf--transfer who hits .425 and 25 hr

Pitchers--
    Hightower
    Lugo
    Trlicek (hoping for a big year from her)
    Pittman
    Delbrey
    Transfer who will break all of Stacey Nelson's records

Obviously, I'm very optimistic about transfers. I doubt we take three, but who knows? I hope a couple of incoming freshmen can step right into the lineup. In any event, I think we will have a very good team next year with improved hitting.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You forgot Cottrill....should be a key player
    I think freshman Walsh will also break in somewhere. Team will be better next year IMO, syill need one big bat to be elite. Delbrey is the freshman pitcher

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    time to hit the transfer portal, ala Mike White.

With only 12 scholarships, we need to be extremely selective, but I suspect there will be s

8. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Depending on what options there are at dp and whether we get a 1b or not I could see Goelz in right and Wilkie playing 1b. Not sure how good her bat is but Kistler did have a few opportunities and they seem to really like her in the outfield. Could see her being a lead off or 9 hitter as a slapper playing LF.

9. VegasGator91

VegasGator91 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    A look at some of the last 4 recruiting classes for GatorsSB. Not exactly producing results as hoped. And those that left the program really haven't done much in another power 5 location. Some have gone onto careers at less profile colleges or universities.

2017 - Danielle Romanello, Natalie Lugo, Hannah Adams, Haven Sampson, Jordan Matthews, Josie Paige
    Adams and Lugo major contributors and Adams is an AA. Thanks to 2020 each will have a 5th year in 2022. Matthews, however, decided to end her career this season.

2018 - Cheyenne Lindsey, Elizabeth Hightower, Danni Farley, Odalys Cordova, Bryn Thomas, Amanda Beane, Hannah Sipos
    Lindsey and Hightower remain. Both solid contributors. Thomas is a PH who doesn't hit.

2019 - Baylee Goddard, Rylee Trlicek, , E.C. Taylor, Julia Cottrill, Mia Buffano, Sarah Longley
    Cottrill will be a star, Trlicek still has promise. Taylor already gone, wouldn't be shocked to see others gone by the 2022 season.

2020 - Haley Pittman, Avery Goelz, Emily Wilkie, Kali Reis, Katie Kistler
    TBD, but no one from this group so far makes you think future All-SEC.

2021 - Cali Decker (FL) , Lexie Delbrey (GA), Kendra Falby(FL via Canada), Reagan Walsh(CA)
    2022 season will determine if this starts the next great class.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Taylor was the starting 2nd baseman for Pitt this year. Romanello hit cleanup and was the primary catcher for San Diego State. Steve Russell said Hannah Sipos and Danni Farley are still enrolled at UF. Not sure if they're going to try to make a comeback next year, transfer or just hang up softball. Odalys Cordova transferred to the College of Central Florida in Ocala after 1 semester at UF and is a superstar there. Hit .480 with 20 HR's, 100 RBI and only made 4 errors at SS. I

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. gatornharlem

gatornharlem Sophomore

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Love the optimism!!! Hopefully a couple of the Oklahoma players will hit the transfer portal. Most of them are returning. I'm sure a couple will think a .390 batting average and 15 HRs deserves to be a starter and would be a starter anywhere else. Especially at a school with a warmer climate and a large body of water...heck ANY body of water nearby.

12. AlfaGator

AlfaGator VIP Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Anyway we can bring back Aubree Munro? We need heart and soul players like her.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Lol that’s like Alabama football players. They’re willing to sit behind even bigger superstars till it’s their turn to win a natty.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Patty Gasso is becoming the Nick Saban of D1 softball!

15. VegasGator91

VegasGator91 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Good for Taylor, hit .315. But 0 HR. Was never going to play 2B here.
    Romanello hit .260 and 3 HR. Unfortunately never lived up to the hype out of HS and travel ball.
    Cordova. Great stats, but what level is College of CF?

Hope they all finish their college careers with good seasons. But it just magnifies how the recruiting dropped for a 3 to 4 year span. That's why we have taken in more transfers lately, instead of the occasional Stephanie Tofft to fill one spot.

16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Oh, I understand that the pitching at the NJCAA level is nothing like D1 and the SEC. But still, if Cordova hit that well on a Top 10 team at any level, you would think she would have been successful at Florida. Who knows? I do wonder why she transferred out without even playing for the Gators for 1 season.
    2020-21 College of Central Florida Softball Schedule
    College of Central Florida
    NJCAA DI Softball Rankings

17. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Junior

Oct 10, 2008
    The only way Florida picks up a pitcher in the transfer portal is if the pitcher is really, really good.

I have faith in the pitchers coming back. Hightower and Lugo - this was their first time leading their team. I think they’ll both be much improved next season. Plus with the freshman coming in, Pitman and Trlicek. We’re fine.

If Florida can just hire a great offensive coach - I wouldn’t mind it being Amanda Lorenz. And bring in a bat or two from the portal . .

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. cecil

cecil Premium Member

May 31, 2007
    One of my favs. I looking for big things from Wilkie next year.

• Like Like x 3
  19. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    Some of it was probably because of Wallace’s transferring in if I had to guess. Had she known she wouldn’t be eligible who knows, because imo she’s probably would’ve started now. Or it could’ve been a scholarship, grade, or just she wasn’t happy situation.

20. alysb21

alysb21 All American

Jan 8, 2019
    And Cotrill who showed flashes of it this year

• Agree Agree x 1