Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who are you pulling for and why?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jan 13, 2020.

1. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jcp

jcp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2009
    Agreed. And they played no one.

Hope LSU wins. I do care about SEC perception but it's not the main reason I am pulling for LSU in this case.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SCGator52

SCGator52 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    San Antonio, Tx
    Tigers by a touchdown!

4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Tigers. I lived and worked in NOLA part time for the last four years and those guys have it rough over there in Louisiana. They could use something good in their lives. And screw Dabo and Clemson and their holy rolling band of thieves for stealing all the best recruits from Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Then that simplifies it

eff them all

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If Bama could arrange it, it would happen. And if the asteroid hit the wrong part of the world and both teams weren’t sufficiently crippled, I wonder if Saban would throw one the same hissy fit temper tantrums with God that he seems to get away with when dealing with officials, the media, the SEC Office et al.

7. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    LSU.

O reminds me of a crazy uncle-steals your beer, passes out on your couch, but funny as heck before he nods off.

Dabo - reminds of that southern, fast talking, high pressure used car salesman that does not listen to a word you say and tries to sell you the truck that he makes the most money on as you walk away muttering "Dumbarse" under your breath.

I don't hate either one, but given my druthers, I'd rather hang with O.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

9. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    LSU.

I’ll generally pull for the SEC unless it’s a non-UF dynasty like Bama was a few years ago.

Clemson is neither SEC and if they win could be considered a dynasty.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Geaux Tigahs!

Coach O is a throwback to a simpler, more fun time in college football. He has worked hard and with humility to learn from his mistakes and get better. And that guy LOVES his university. Not because of the paycheck or the notoriety it brings him. He loves that school, that state, those people--his people. That guy just LOVES. And I think their run this year has been spectacular to watch--although even now I'd have happily taken one good 3rd down stop against them.

I have nothing against Clemson and absolutely cheered for them against Bama. But not tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    Hard to pick, even though LSU in SEC and we get a chance to knock 'em off their perch next year here at home. I still remember the crap they tried to pull after the hurricane and the cancellation of the game in G'ville. Their AD, who is still there, tried to hold us over the barrel. And you would think the one school in America who would understand that situation is LSU. I like Dabo. I think he's a good guy. A friend of mine played with him at Bama. At the same time, I'm tired of his poaching players from Florida. Maybe a win will get Joe Brady exorcised to Cleveland some place. Go LSU.

12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Don't really care for either team, I do like Joe Burrow's story so it would be cool to see him cap off a magical season with a cherry on top.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I guess I'll be the first one in for Clemson. I like LSU, so it won't bother me if LSU wins, but definitely rooting for Clemson.
    Reasons are many...

1) My kids went to Clemson so they are my 2nd favorite team anyway.

But even putting that aside- lots of other reasons..
    1) Dabo is the real deal. He's truly a great man who uses his success to inspire people and also help others. Living up here in Clemson country, I've heard so many stories of Dabo reaching out to others.
    2) I love Clemson' program and the way they have built that program. They don't churn and burn recruits like Bama and UGA. Per the rankings, Clemson has averaged about 10th.
    3) Clemson being good helps the Gators in a huge way. Let me count the ways a good Clemson has helped us.

1) Clemson plays (and beats FSU) every single year. Clemson is the #1 reason Fsu is in turmoil right now.
    2) Clemson has taken not one but TWO five star QBs right out from UGA's backyard the past few years. Imagine UGA with Deshaun Watson or Trevor Lawrence... Yeah. it's ugly. IMO UGA has 2-3 nattys right now instead of facing major ? marks. We should be saying thanks to them.
    3) Clemson's home recruiting area blocks UGA/ USCe, FSU, and UT much more than us. Teams that we play each year.

Sure, I wish we had Bowman. But I also remember when FSU was taking a lot of recruits that we wanted.
    IMO, us beating Clemson for FLORIDA players is much easier than beating a dominant FSU for those same players.
    So a good Clemson means a weaker FSU. That's a plus in my book.

So I have lots of reasons to pull for Clemson. Good for my family, and good for the Gators.
    And good guys to boot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Wow! I was gonna go with LSU because I felt Clemson getting another crown would mean it that much harder to recruit against them. They seem to have a large number of blue chip guys from our state, particularly the 5* variety. But your post has made me think! Maybe Clemson winning helps us more than LSU winning? I am just not sure!?

I do think that LSU has had a magical season and I wouldn't mind it staying that way. They steamrolled everyone they played pretty much and I feel it would be a bad look if an ACC team showed them up! Think I am still going with the Bayou Tigers but I won't be too upset if things go the other way!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    LSU. Strong connections to New Orleans, been there many times, like having LSU on schedule for away games due to proximity to NOLA, SEC, Ed O, perhapa a reason or 2 else.

Next to zero connection to Clemson.

Geaux tygahs!

16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    So I just looked it up...
    Clemson has 2 5-stars on roster from Georgia. Trevor Lawrence and a CB named Booth.
    They just have 1 5-star from Florida. Xavier Thomas from IMG. Thomas grew up a USCe fan. I dont' think he would have come here but no idea.
    They also have 2 5-stars from NC and 1 from TN and 1 from SC.
    The thing is that UT used to live off of NC, TN and SC players. FSU as well. Now Clemson has stopped that.

So I don't think there's any doubt that Clemson has taken these guys from teams we play.
    Obviously I wish Bowman (and others) came here here instead of CU, but we have a great class.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC

Memes are cute, but which part do you disagree with? I like facts.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    This is a hard choice for me, because LSU winning would certainly be good for our conference, but Clemson winning would be good for my state.

Just kidding. Cluck Femson.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    LSU is literally in direct competition with Florida annually. Clemson is an indirect competitor in recruiting only.

• Winner Winner x 1