Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Who Are Some Of Your Favorite Comedians?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Mar 19, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

When I worked as an Emcee years ago, I sometimes got called by other resorts in the area, and if the scheduled comedian couldn't make it, due to weather, ilness, etc... I would go there and fill in.

One of my best lines to silence a heckler was to let him go for a few minutes, until the audience begen getting pretty pissedat him...
    Then, the next time he interrupted, I'd stop, walk to the side of the stage closest to him, and say; "Excuse me, but can I ask you a question?
    Then I'd say... "When you go to the movies, do you talk to the screen?"
    This was way before the days of "PC".... if I ran into a heckler who started getting particularly nasty... I'd stop, and say "Excuse me... but could you stand up?.... Then I'd ask him "Could I ask what Nationality you are?..... from there I had choices based on their answers...

One boisterous guy said, "Yeah!.. I'm Puerto Rican" My reponse would be "How come your not out in the parking lot stealing hubcaps?"
    "I'm Russian!"..... "Oh, good..... there's nobody with their finger on the button right now"
    And so on..

Handling hecklers is mainly a matter of isolating them, staring them down, and having a quick wit.....

"Hey buddy, I noticed you have no neck.. If your head sinks down any more, you'll have to heckle through yoour nostrils!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I didn't know you were Don Rickles. :D:D:D

3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

My Dad was a Stand Up Comedian all his life.... I picked it up from him, and wrote some material for him.
    We would drive from South Jersey up to the Catskill Mountains many weekends. We would listen to WCAU out of Philly, then pick up WCBS from NY....

One drive.... about 3 weeks after the Jonestown massacre, we were listening to the headlines, and heard about Idi Amin, the then dictator of Uganda, and how he had 200,000 of his own people killed.....
    Kinda hard to find something funny there, huh?? I gave the punch line to my Dad, and he almost drove off the NJ Turnpike laughing so hard.

That night, at Kutcher's Resort Hotel, their MC introduced my Dad. The audience was applauding, and my Dad gestured for them to stop.
    He said; Folks, I know most of you drove the same way I did to get here. I don't know how many of listened to the news on the way.... but I heard that Idi Amin, from Uganda, has just had 200 thousand of his fellow countrymen murdered."
    As the audience muttered "Oh! What a shame!" my Dad said;
    Yeah, he was just keepinng up with the Jonses!"

It took several seconds for people to get it, but then they roared with laughter..... We heard a huge THUD from the back of the Night Club... It was Milton Kutcher the owner or the resort, falling off his barstool, laughing his ass off, saying "I'll get you for this!!

Fun stuff., and on went the show.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    All I have to say is :D:D:D:D:D

Slam dunk my man! Well done!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. WhattaGator

If you look at the best comedians, they'll all say the same thing about their material....

There's nothing funnier than the truth!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Man, I wanna post the Carlin video, but it's prob not appropriate here. :devil:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My older brothers had him on one time, and my mom came into the room. She heard Carlin's jokes and got a look of sheer horror on her face. :eek:. We were all able to laugh about it later when we explained Carlin's comedic stylings.:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Damn how did I forget John Mulaney? Pete Holmes too.

9. gatormets3

gatormets3 Premium Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Jax., FL.
    George Wallace!
    Sorry, it's been so long forgot his last name.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando
    Anthony Jeselnik is my favorite active comedian. He’s hilarious.

Old school I go with:

Eddie Murphy
    Richard Pryor
    Robin Williams
    And even though he was never all that popular, Bob Nelson!

• Like Like x 1
  11. jewood592

jewood592 VIP Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Orlando

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    George Wallace
    [​IMG]

He has some great Atlanta jokes.
    Go Braves! and take the Falcons with you.
    Interstate 20, Falcons 0.
    :D:D:D

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I always thought Bill Cosby was pretty good. I had a couple of his albums and wow. Of course it is not pc for me to mention his name, but he was funny back then

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My 2 favorite comedians both killed themselves.
    They were among the best entertainers ever.

Richard Jeni - best delivery of a joke
    Robin Williams - absolute improv genius

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    I don't think this one lies at the feet of PC culture. Dude's a convicted rapist. It's on him...

Say what you want, but that John Wayne Gacy was great at children's birthday parties!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Not excusing his crime. I was saying it isn’t pc to mention his successes anymore. He had some really funny standup stuff. He was also a real creep

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sas1988

sas1988 Sophomore

Nov 16, 2016
    Denver
    George Carlin, Louis C.K. (I know, I know, but still funny as hell), Dave Chappel, and the current king of comedy...Bill Freaking Burr. I challenge anyone to try not laughing at him.

18. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I won’t repeat (or at least will try not to repeat) names already mentioned, and I’m surprised these haven’t been mentioned,but they are very funny:

1. Jerry Seinfeld
    2. Tom Pappa
    3. Amy Schumer

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Off topic, but one of my favorite political cartoons of Idi Amin.
    [​IMG]

20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Lenny Bruce
    Steven Wright
    Sarah Silverman

• Like Like x 1