Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

White Will Have the Gators Play Fast Next Season

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by potomacgator, Jul 22, 2020.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If 1 to 3 are boxing out they are not leaking out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I agree... that is a very impressive second string. Especially considering Niels Lane could figure in there as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2nd string could give the starters a run for their money, either.

3. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Maybe with all the speed and pressure, we'll force a 100% turnover rate and there will never be a defensive rebound to go after ;)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

"Fairly bad" offense, as in KenPom top 30 in efficiency? Better than that (maybe top 20?) after the early season struggles.

I welcome the emphasis on pushing the pace if our guys show better ball security than they did last season when pushing the pace (and I expect they will improve), but our defense was significantly lower rated than our offense last season.

5. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    this is now in my top 5 funniest memes

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I think in some cases you're right about slower and more structured, but our '06 & '07 championship team played fast. I was surprised at how fast when you watch them play. They were tactical precision combined with speed. Their level of cohesion was off the charts too. It's just more difficult to play fast and in control. Some (most) teams trade one for the other.

I loved that UNLV team. It was a damn shame they lost to that Duke team. Was a complete shocker. They had a real shot at 40-0.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I keep forgetting about Niels Lane, but Mike W described him as an elite athlete. So that says to me he'll figure into the rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
  9. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry for the delay in responding. At a macro level, I am really bothered by what has happened to the Gator program since White took over. Under Billy Donovan, the Gator basketball program became one of the elite programs in the country and, along with Kentucky, was one of the 2 elite programs in the SEC. Under White, the program is no longer elite nationwide or in the SEC. This is similar to what happened after Spurrier left the Gator football program. Zook came in and was okay for 3 years, but he got fired. Urban Meyer came in and took us back to the top. After he left, Muschamp and McElwain came and went, and we are back to an outstanding coach in Dan Mullen. I have the same expectations for the basketball program. White has had one very good year and 4 so-so years at Florida. FSU has blown by us as the best basketball program in the state, and it's hard to see us catching up to them. In my opinion, there are better coaches out there that we could get that could get the program back on track. As to what finally put me over the top, it was the so-so performance this past season from a loaded team that looked like it would be a national title contender.

At the micro level, I will start with the fact that I hate the Gator offense. It's mostly a bunch of guys going one on one and trying to make plays. Except for Chiozza, none of these guys have been particularly adept at going one on one, but we have kept doing it. It has resulted in skilled players regressing under this offense. There has been a ton of talent on this team over the past 5 years. In White's 1st year at UF, he had a roster that included Dorian Finney-Smith, KeVaughn Allen, John Egbunu, Kasey Hill, Devin Robinson, Chris Chiozza, Justin Leon, Kevarrius Hayes and Brandone Francis. Unbelievably to me, the team only went 9 and 9 in the SEC and was 8th in the conference standings. We then had the one outstanding season followed by 3 more so-so seasons. We saw Allen, Jalen Hudson and Keith Stone regress when our offense didn't get them into position to get quality scoring attempts. We also saw perhaps the most talented point guard in school history other than perhaps Jason Williams only start at the point in his senior year. Some say that Cheese wasn't as good as Hill prior to that, but, IMO, that's hog wash. We have continued to see White not know how to handle his bench and to drive players out of the program. This past season, watching AN going one-on-one while Lewis, Locke, et al sat around watching him drove me batty. I'll stop right here. White's getting at least one more season to straighten things out. I hope he does that, but if he doesn't, I will not be sorry if he is let go.

10. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Yahda, yahda, blah, blah. Show me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I like White, but I agree with much of what you said. However, no Scottie Wilbekin slights or slander will be accepted on my watch! I put Scottie ahead of Cheese, but I love both of them. I love J Will, too but he killed me in a pickup game at the Southwest Rec once. Dan Cross abused me a few times too at the Florida Gym. Me and Eddie Shannon were cool. Bumped into him at a gas station in South Florida in 2004-2005. Was surprised he remembered me.

12. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You’re a lot younger than me. I played pickup and/or city league games against Tony Miller, Tim Fletcher, Mark Thompson, Nat Moore, Don Gaffney, Willie Jackson, Sr. and a whole bunch of other Gator football and basketball players.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Scottie’s senior year might have been the best year ever by a Gator point guard, although he did get to play with a better group of players and a better coach than Chiozza played with. My guess is that if Cheese has started for 3 years, his career would have been off the charts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I couldn't care less if the offense plays fast or slow, or whether the defense plays man or zone. I just want them to play well. What they play is not as important to me as how they play. Hopefully the coaching staff will have that locked d own in practice.

....but all of this could be for naught this season. Oh well.

15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I'm aware of the idea of the "offensive efficiency" stats as someone (maybe you?) raised them during the season, pointed out that statically we were not terrible in terms of efficiency (but indeed we were terrible in terms of scoring PPG). I did think there were some times where the team showed flashes last year, and other times they badly regressed. It was just a very odd season.

I don't think my eyes were lying, so I honestly have no idea how those efficiency ratings work. All I know is our offense was slow, we had a low PPG, at numerous times had ridiculously long scoring droughts (the #1 issue in most of our losses!), and generally last season was highly disappointing.

But yes, obviously our defense wasn't great either. Could it have worked if we had a #1 defense? I guess, but I still just really... really hate that style of play unless you just know you are going to dominate people on the defensive end, which was what that Patrick Young final 4 team did. That team dominated with a half-court game, but I don't remember them playing THAT slow. I don't mind slow when there is a purpose to playing half-court offense, but we really took it to another level, and those long 6,8,10 minute scoring droughts were killers that happened too frequently. I wonder if we led the country in terms of those type of droughts?