Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, you may notice glitches here and there. We are upgrading our servers shortly, please pardon the dust and hang in there. : ) Thanks for your patience.

White Will Have the Gators Play Fast Next Season

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by potomacgator, Jul 22, 2020.

1. potomacgator

potomacgator All American

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Sounds good to me... but after the last couple of years I will be filled with dread awaiting a "we had to scrap our whole offense and start over" thing 3/4 through the non-conf schedule. Hope this year it sticks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. jmac83

jmac83 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Maybe. Let’s see how deep that commitment is after a few empty possessions and a couple of turnovers by reserves on a short leash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting about the idea of reserves being on a short leash. Let’s say that White starts Appleby, Locke, Lewis, KJ and Payne, and that the 2nd string is Glover, Mann, Rezhnetsev, Duruji and Jitoboh or Osifo. I would not be at all surprised if the 2nd string could beat the 1st string. If White shortens the bench this season, I will be campaigning heavily for him to replace Betsy DeVos as the school janitor.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Please let them play with great control in transition so they can continue playing fast. lol

6. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Dooley: Gators prepare to give fans what they want, play fast
    Gvl Sun
    Mike White told us Wednesday that he has a couple of guitars in his office, but hasn’t played them in a while.
    He didn’t need to.
    What he said on a Zoom call for a handful of beat writers was music to the ears of a lot of Gator fans.
    Forget the slow, plodding Gators of the last couple of years. No longer will you be able to get to the bathroom and back during a Gator possession.

“Playing fast is in my DNA,” White said. “It’s what our guys want to do. I know it’s what our fans want to see.”
    Obviously, we don’t know WHEN we will see it, but as soon as this Florida team is playing real basketball games, it will be more like a Lamborghini than one of those Ed’s discount scooters.

Look, we all understood why White last year had to play slow. He had a point guard who was built that way and the offense went through Andrew Nembhard and Kerry Blackshear Jr. with his awkward running style. Now, when I say we understood Florida’s style of play, I am obviously not speaking for the entire Gator Nation, some of whom had to bleach their eyes after watching that team play.

And there are no guarantees that a fast-paced team is going to be successful. It’s not going to be old school Loyola Marymount (for the avocado toast generation, you can Google it).
    But it has to be more fun to watch. I mean we all knew this was coming because of the changes in personnel. But the music was still pretty sweet Wednesday.
    “It’s the first time in a while we’ll have a high level of speed, quickness, athleticism throughout the whole roster,” White said. “We’ll be really deep and we look forward to playing fast.”

(Was that a harp I heard in the background?)

“I’m convicted to press more, especially early on,” White said. “We’re going in with the mindset we’re going to press more.”
    Dooley: Gators prepare to give fans what they want, play fast

7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Do you think CMW is blind or stupid? Apparently so, given the joke you are making.

If someone is outplaying a starter, I’m sure CMW will see it , like the rest of us (although, by some debates on this board over the years it is apparent some of us discern different aspects or have differing opinions of what is “better”).

What is the genesis of your Seemingly deep seated disgust ( or loss of confidence?) for CMW’s coach abilities and acumen? Care to express?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don’t care about playing fast or slow, but what irked me the past couple seasons was that our teams seemed to actually DECLINE fast break opportunities. This was especially frustrating knowing our half court offense was fairly bad and prone to long droughts.

I have no problems being methodical when we are good at it, that 2013-2014 dominated with a mostly half court style, but I’m sure they never turned down fast breaks either.

Really any team regardless of offensive style should look to push first, try and exploit a defense in transition, then if stopped you quickly get into half court offense. I just remember our PG a bunch of times pulling back and making sure he was the last one to cross half court. I hated seeing that, truly fast teams pressure defenses constantly, and crazy good teams can sometimes even get up the court fast off of made baskets (not just turnovers or long rebounds). I’d definitely like to see more of that, vs. walking it up the court.

But for me it’s not like it’s just the tempo that needs fixing, though I do think it needs to be emphasized along with more quickly getting into half court offense (I.e less “standing around” in half court).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    My concern is the first time "playing fast" inevitably gives up a couple of easy baskets in transition...what will Coach White's reaction be? We all saw what might have been one of the most prolific teams in UF history start out on fire, then get pulled back due to our coach's discontent with the defense.

We all want a good defense, but I think that it's sometimes OK to give a little to GET a lot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm ok with fast as long as they are like, say, the 85 Lakers.
    That was a "fast" team.

12. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You have to be able to own the defensive glass to play fast. I sure hope that we can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Don't we spend enough time trying to keep this particular pandora's box shut? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Glad to hear that you think my expressing my views about Coach White’s coaching is a curse.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I was trying to decide between "pandora's box" and "can of worms" =)

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You're a hard nut to crack.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Hope we actually play....the season is still very much in doubt

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Coaches with sustained success playing at a very fast pace:

Jerry Tarkanian, but he had the horses and still lost to a much slower Duke team when trying to go undefeated. He had ungodly talent.

Rick Pitino at Providence and the early years at UK, but he took advantage of the 3-point line before everyone else knew what to do with it so he had a huge edge tactically. Bobby Knight never figured out what to do with it.

Mikey going fast pace says to me that he needs to play that style to recruit for the future much like BD had to do early on. Play a fun style and you get kids to commit. Slower and more structured offenses with solid D is a winning scheme. And if your D is so good that you rule the defensive glass then you can run some of the time. But kids will only commit to a program like that if they have a positive track record.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    The big difference between now and the "good ole days" is that with all the 3-pt chucking, rebounds are much longer and more difficult to corral...so dominating the defensive boards is as much about the 1-3 positions boxing their man out as dominating the paint.

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1