Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

White post game comments - Miss St.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 28, 2020.

1. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Don’t care if the position was thin, if the player wasn’t listening then I would play another player even if I had to play a makeshift lineup.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Why do all of White's players get hurt? I mean does he have this much bad luck? Wow

3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He hasn't known what to do with any group he's had. That is the problem. How many groups are we going to listen to him tell us he doesn't know what to do with them? How about coach them? How about develop them? How about instill in them the pain of losing so that they fight tooth and nail not to let it happen in so many games they should easily win?

Is that too much for someone who is making multiple millions of dollars?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorrun17

gatorrun17 VIP Member

Aug 7, 2013
    At the end of all of this, players not hustling, no urgency, no timeouts to stop the bleeding or call a freaking offensive set, ever.......is the head coach. He just lets it happen and stands on the sideline. Bad shot after bad shot, no repercussions, no pulling them out of the game for said bad shot. Have you noticed he doesn’t embrace our storied past? Which to me shows his insecurity, much the same as McButterteeth. I know for a fact the former players and coaches don’t feel welcomed back by him at all. Juxtapose that with Mullen right next door fully embracing our past glory. The Gator Standard. He is not the right coach here at all and I trust SS understands this more and more with each mindnumbing loss to teams that should never beat our talent unless that talent is being coached wrong. Uninspired and not at all playing to the teams strengths. Then after all of that he does nothing but ridicule and beat down his players publicly when he obviously has no offensive system that I can see at any time during the game. Loss after loss he puts almost all of it on the players. And he may be right, they may be slacking and dropping their heads, but from where I stand even if they are that’s on him.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
  5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

It is either he is not giving them good advice on how to stave off ineptitude or he is giving them sound advice and they are deliberately choosing not to listen. Under either circumstance the outcome is untenable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

High school coaches, AAU and other organized sports camps for aspiring college talent will respect a program that guts itself and takes two years to revamp with someone who is going to restore the standard, than someone who scratches his head and tells people he could be selling tickets for his dad if he weren't our coach.

That was actually the final straw for me right there. It was a solemn admission that that is what is in store for him if he is no longer on the lofty perch that used to be the head ball coach of Florida basketball.

7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

These kids are too respectful to disrespect coaches but the expressions on their faces reeks with second thoughts about the selection they made- not the school but this staff. This team never presses when up double digits only when we are down with 2 minutes or less to play. The reason why we got so many open shots in the first half is because no one respects our outside shooting even though it was pointed out that we are the best in the conference from 3.

There are no nice guy coaches in the SEC except Mike White. Almost all of the others are highly charged let's get it done, yell and scream type coaches. Anthony Grant is not like that. That might be one reason why he struggled at Alabama, and would be cause for concern about his taking over the program if he were willing to do so. Billy wasn not really like that either but he got in players' faces and he got in refs' faces enough to let his players know "hey this really matters"

8. gator4ever88

gator4ever88 Freshman

Aug 29, 2017
    I would have to agree plus the haphazard and inconsistent play across the board. That is on CMW. Why is coach complaining about players effort,will and grit? Isn’t that his job as coach? Just sayin...

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think the team is hurting because they know what they have that they don't have. Duraji and Appleby would have brought immediate experience, leadership additional depth and greater competition for playing time. Duraji is a missing link because we have no one who is 6'7" or 6'8" with his mobility. Johnson is close and Lewis will get there but to have someone with experience who knows how to utilize his size and mobility just does not exist on our current roster. Appleby will provide a legitimate dual threat from outside and he can run the offense. He will give us up tempo that I believe Mann and Glover and give but need to develop a better feel for their place and realize that they belong on this level.

• Like Like x 1
  10. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    What’s the old saying ?? I’d rather have to take it out of them then try and put it in them

11. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I can echo the acceptance part. I do feel that being honest and critical on here is sometimes mistaken for being negative and shitty but what can u do. I almost wonder if it’s time to just let these kids run and hope they develop some of their off game and take some ownership in what they aren’t doing that needs to be done. It could very well be just like all parents when dealing with kids, you can tell them every which way but until they bleed or recognize it for themselves he may just be pissing in the wind. I still think despite some mistakes that cmw is still the right guy for the job. He seems like a grinder , I like that in a head coach

12. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    can you recruit one for us? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    Mike White is definitely quiet, and he seems to almost be exploding holding in his emotions in the sideline - neck bulging, nostrils flaring, eyes wide with anger - and then he sort of swallows it and looks at his omnipresent piece of paper or turns and speaks to an assistant coach.

How do we extrapolate "nice" out of this? He is obviously passive and indirect, and in his postgame presser he consistently throws hs players uder the bus. I don't see "nice," I see "unable to function in his job" and "Basketball Muschamp"

14. gatordd

gatordd Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    the kids aren't having any fun and thus the fans aren't either. Losses aside, the program is just not an enjoyable product anymore. Lewis dancing in the first half and gets reamed by White going into the tunnel. They are a mirror image of coach. Tight.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorade

gatorade Junior

Oct 21, 2014
    Every team he's coached all end up looking eerily similar.
    Watch his press conferences. Same script. Game after game.

16. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Positively MuschumpWainian.

17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Several kept saying look at the analytics to see our improvement. I tempered my belief for the rest of the year after the Mizzou game though. Even after Auburn a few people continued to take swipes at those here who were CONSTRUCTIVELY critical of White after continued patterns of inconsistencies year to year.

It was never about can these guys win a game against a decent team but can they consistently win the games they should and be competitive in the others while winning some.

And here we are. Year after year flipping a coin before every game as to what team will show up only this year it is half to half

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I’m not interested in the mike white debate/discussion, but will clarify his comments.
    White has repeatedly put his teams readiness and focus on his shoulders. He has never “thrown the kids under the bus” or evaded responsibility/blame. I’ve listened to many, many coaches press conferences over the years- and there have been few coaches as willing to say “and that’s on me” as Coach White.
    There are many fair criticisms of coach white, but suggesting he passes the buck... that isn’t one of em.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bigbengator

bigbengator Recruit

Jan 22, 2020
    I agree 100%. That said, at this point he seems incapable of fixing our issues and putting a consistently good product on the floor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Here is a good example of a miss in recruiting by MW. He takes Bassett who had size but played against small competition and had slow footwork over a kid like Paul Reed from Orlando that ends up at DePaul. He is an athlete at 6'9" that is now averaging 16 pts a game as a junior and one of the top rebounders in the Big East.