Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

White post game comments - Miss St.

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Jan 28, 2020.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    typing as i listen . . .

<White barely audible. Noticeably very upset>

They were not very good in first half and we were ... and the it was the exact opposite in second half.

They took everything at us ... and still killed us from arc, from the foul line.... everywhere. We are just not a good defensive team. Its what we've been talking about. Its back to the drawing board. ive done a bad job with this team defensively and they took advantage of that.

second half didnt cut hard, didnt run in transition, didnt sprint to screens. our flow, our rhythm, our confidence was very different. when you gotta beg to sprint offensively ......... it doesn't make sense.

i go to youth enough... we are undisciplined, soft , disconnected, not enough pride defensively.... jogging back, and they are dunking on us. it doesn't make sense. its something we can control. you can control your energy and effort. florida basketball has had that for a long time. tonite was an example of our level of pride defensively. we are gonna find a way to fix it.

id like to go on the court right now... id like to watch the whole game and have a four hour practice. but we can't do that. this stings extra hard. ill be chomping at the bit to get back to work and i hope our guys are.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    "when you gotta beg to sprint offensively ......... it doesn't make sense."

I wonder if he is talking about several players? I have a problem with AN's seemingly lackadaisical approach at times

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Will anything change, though? Is he implying they don't listen to him? If so, that's worst case scenario. Do they not respect him enough to listen? A very weird situation.

• Agree Agree x 9
  4. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    Last year was leadership, this year is effort and energy. Wonder what next year will be? This team and staff have me so disappointed. I love basketball and it's just not fun right now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First time I have left a home basketball game early and I have been to alot of home games over the years. There is something missing with this bunch of players and I have no intention of calling any of them out by name, but for the past two years Coach White has relied on certain players to get it done on the floor and it has not happened with any consistency. Time to assess what you are doing coaching wise and who you are putting on the floor to get it done.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Gotta feel bad for White, nobody wants to win more than he does. He just doesn’t know what to do with this group and that will likely put him on the hot seat. Time is running out to turn this thing around. You can only blame it on the youth for so long. The core of this team was here last year so no excuse for those guys.

• Agree Agree x 11
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    AKA I respect you and your commitment to the program, I know this is rough on you. I am done adding to the negativity - partly because most folks are where I am now and it’s not needed, partly because it is clear we are who we are, and partly because I made it to the final stage of grief - acceptance.
    But I do hope that whatever happens, the program sees better days, dedicated folks like you deserve it.

• Like x 7
    • Agree x 5
    • Friendly x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Mick mentioned "youth" in one of his questions, and Mike rebuffed it.
    He was absolutely not allowing any "youth excuse".

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    It is up to him to swap players out then.

I can see where it can be frustrating to see talent and the talent not listen/execute. But it’s on him to make the moves

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    In summary:

“I’ve done a bad job...”

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  11. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Apparently they are not listening to him, do they not respect him or his authority? We are past the halfway mark this should not be happening to a program like UF. Has he lost this team?

12. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    That’s good. It’s that we hear that same old excuse during the commentary almost every game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you read between the lines I think it does sound like he is saying the players dont listen to him.

14. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    If they didn't listen to me their azz would be warming the bench I don't care who they are.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
  15. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Especially when 3 underclassmen started last year and the other an all ACC 5th year senior. Only so much you can blame on youth. Some players have it, some don’t.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Or they listen but don’t apply it - or at least not with any consistency or urgency.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    With this team you might not be able to keep 5 on the floor, most would be on the bench

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. hoopnscoopuf

hoopnscoopuf All American

Dec 3, 2011
    If so he needs a new Assistant Coach to be his enforcer. They play like they don’t listen to or fear the coach. Something must change straight away.

19. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    They need a Patric Young type player on this team...a man in the paint that you can't push around and plays the whole game with passion and desire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Honestly I think this is where injuries/transfers have come into play. With 2 redshirt transfers sitting, gak gone, and Bassett injured, you've only got 9 healthy bodies. He doesn't even have enough bench players to really go to.