Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

White post game comments -Arky

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Feb 18, 2020.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    typing as i listen ....

hard to win in league and nice to get a streak hope we can kepp momentum. several phases good... first 25 as good all year. couldn't sustain it, but very good win. arky is terrific. were 12-1 at one point and all their sec losses other than one have been very close. very difficult to guard.

we really moved - got inside-out and transition more bc we got stops. we got tentative in second half. they extended pressure and it was harder for us to move. they made us drive it and we did enough, led by our best driver ... keyontae.

he is on a nice stretch - maybe 4 really good games in a row. played with a motor... accepted challenge. we challenged him tonite and he smiled and said he was gonna do it again. and he was fantastic.

key had 1 foul in fist half ... a reach in. other than that - he was at least an A ... maybe an A+ defensively for him. Really sound and disciplined.

one of those games - i feel for Kerry. Wow - he didn't get much opportunity. he continued to lead - very vocal. Kerry almost held me up putting him in once bc Jason was in a rhythm, but we got him in there. But i am anxious to look at the film.

we should toughness down the stretch. we were led by keyontae getting to rim and paint, and andrew got to the rim also. defensively we buckled down and connected and got some stops.

we did a good job on mason down the stretch. i tried the 1-3-1 and he diced it up. he is so impressive in transition offense. he is a really good player. i thought individually scottie did a terrific job or he couldve had 30 tonite.

much better shooting. what an improvement. we all know we regressed defesively from the first few weeks, but we have made a huge jump offensively. and they can effect each other. ball movement and shot selection much better and selflessness. we are playing more free flowing and calling less set plays lately - guys have earned that trust.

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    "hard to win in league and nice to get a streak hope we can kepp momentum. several phases good... first 25 as good all year. couldn't sustain it, but very good win. arky is terrific. were 12-1 at one point and all their sec losses other than one have been very close. very difficult to guard."

This is important. Arkansas we no pushover and it was a solid win for us. They came in with the same record we had.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Early on our D was really good and then faltered.

Good ball movement in the first half got us lots of good looks from three and we hit a bunch of them. We had less success from deep in the second half.

KJ got to the line a huge amount and drained most of them. That is where we won the game.

4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    The defense sets up the offense, just like it did for the Hogs at the close of the first half. Funny how getting the ball out of bounds under the basket is like a bucket of ice water on flow and momentum.

5. hotelgator

hotelgator GC Legend

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Solid win against a good team with a good coach.
    We're growing up as a team as the year moves on. I like our chances on Saturday night.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Very interesting comment that speaks to what some have been saying our guys play tight when the coach has to over analyze everything. Seems the trust goes both ways and CMW might be learning that as well. If the coach stays a little more hands off this team might be able to figure it out on their own at times and the talent will start to shine, with or without Blackshear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    White was not happy with the officiating. His comments about Kerry getting so little time was filled with frustration and parsing his words. He said things like- “i feel badly for Kerry”, “it was one of those games” and “I’m anxious to watch the film”. He was referring to the foul calls when saying he wants to watch the film.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    My guy Coach White! :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Little things but I thought the timeouts called by CMW where called when needed. I hate seeing coaches think they have to wait until the last possession of the first half to call it, but CMW used it with about 5 min left when Ark was making a small run. We shut the run down .... Called it early in the second half as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    He’s been reading @Efawcett7 articles, apparently!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

No one gets screwed by the refs as much as Blackshear. 3 of his 4 fouls looked like ridiculous calls. The one where he drove and got called for the push is the only one that looked at all legitimate to me. Of course, it wasn't near the offensive foul Lewis took the brunt of when he got knocked to the floor. :rolleyes:

And, this happens to Blackshear over and over. I don't get it!!!?!?! :confused::mad::(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I thought our defense was really stout in the last 10 minutes. The help defense was getting there early and stopping a lot of their drives.

Our inability to score in the post hurt us. First, we had a couple of errant entry passes by Lewis and KJ. Then we went to Jitoboh a few times and he could only score once (on a nifty pass from Glover) despite getting in good position several times. Then, Payne missed 2 or 3 opportunities by missing shots and fumbling passes. I think that was a big part of their comeback combined with missed open threes by Locke and Mann as the half ended.

But, we held together and finished strong. Good to see!

My man Nembhard had a somewhat shaky floor game tonight. He has helped offset his couple of shakier floor performances recently with stronger scoring games. But, he generally plays a better floor game than he showed tonight IMHO. I think Arkansas' pressure had a lot to do with it, but AN is capable of handling it better than he showed tonight.

One question: Why did Arkansas get possession of the ball after the bogus technical foul when the guy got "pushed" out of our huddle and flopped like a soccer player? Locke had just been fouled on offense before that technical foul happened. Technical fouls usually don't include a change of possession as part of the penalty.

13. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Interesting that we've gone back to the free flowing offense and it's paying dividends. Started with it, saw the team needed time to gel, went to more structured sets, then after they showed promise in structure let them have more freedom. "They earned it". Nice. Maybe this will be turned corner on offense we all wanted - and the success will the SUSTAINED.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Surprised you left off this quote....”Doug shows is horrible”.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    I wish Coach White would go Blackshear & Jitoboh at the same time some. With Arkansas having their way going inside, it could clog the lane for those drives.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Honorable Mention to Scottie Lewis getting called for a charge in 100% of his baseline drives to the basket.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Payback for not going to pUKe

• Like Like x 1
  18. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Lately Arky has been a pushover without Isiah Joe...they are 0-4 without him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Looking at the scores I don't think they were a pushover. No doubt we'll play tougher teams

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    Yep, their last game against Miss St (also no pushover) came down to a last second score by State. They also lost 2 overtime games to Auburn and Missouri. Tennessee beat them by 21 points at Tennessee, but that's the only game in their previous 4-game losing streak that didn't go down to the wire.

• Agree Agree x 1