Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

White house pulling out of NK summit meeting.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, May 23, 2018.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Duh, big gov! U think Marx saw a lot of himself in Fredric Bastiat?

2. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information Under budget & ahead of schedule Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    You seem like the kind of guy that would complain about a historically accurate war movie that depicted men calling for their mothers and wives with their dying breath as having hackneyed and trite dialogue. But perhaps the reason for your lack of sympathy is an emotional dissociation from mortality, rather than any defect in the truth of the pathos of the dying.

3. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    I lack the context to untangle this cypher.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Why should I have sympathy for a letter written by the president that sounds like it was written by someone in junior high? Even if trump lacks the ability to write above that level, he should have writers who can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    I'm going to guess that junior high means that nuclear annihilation is being treated as a possibility that is not devoid of emotional content. So have you always had difficulty in processing and differentiating your emotions?

6. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    So much guessing and fantasizing about me and my emotions. I'm flattered, but we've never met and I'm not the man you're dreaming me up to be.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    For my part, I thought it was silly that so many wanted to give Trump credit for creating peace in Korea and denuclearizing them, before he actually accomplished anything. Made it clear I would give credit when it was due. And still will if that day comes.

Also noting of course, that the same people annointing Trump the next Nobel Peace Prize winner would have been excoriating any Dem POTUS in the exact same situation... for allowing the nuclear and ICBM testing and demonstrated advances that occurred under Trump... with no response except some bluster that NK laughed off.

But as of today, he has accomplished exactly as much towards peace and denuclearization as he had accomplished when the Nobel Peace Prize nominations were flowing in from his supporters. And exactly as much as Obama accomplished. And GW. And WJC. No surprise there.

Go ahead and tilt at those wind mills, though. I'm sure it feels like you're kicking their ass.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    As stated earlier in the thread, this positioning is fine by Trump. He's not letting them play us and I can get behind that.

The faux indignation from some to cover the egg on their face after already declaring victory for Pax Trumpicanus, rings hollow though.

So far, this is playing out the way anybody who has ever paid attention to the situation in NK would expect it to. No great victory. No great loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Trump wanted to cancel the summit before Kim could

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Minister_of_Information

Apr 3, 2007
    Mar-A-Lago
    All quite premature. This is a process, though to be honest it looks more like quibbling over the details than deep seated jockeying for position (except, perhaps, to the extent China is holding the process hostage for trade leverage). Kim would not have come this far towards final peace and denuclearization without believing that his earlier bellicose strategy had run its course. That's my interpretation anyway, time will tell.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    lol yeah that's pretty much it. I'm reminded of the lyric from Leonard Cohen's Halleluja: "...all I've ever learned from love, was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you."

But now Li'l Kim is going to be the one standing outside the White House late at night, playing "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel on a boombox held over his head.

Love, I don't like to see so much pain
    So much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
    I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
    I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive
    In your eyes
    The light the heat
    In your eyes
    I am complete
    In your eyes
    I see the doorway to a thousand
    [Evangelical Christian] churches
    In your eyes
    The resolution of all the fruitless searches
    In your eyes
    I see the light and the heat
    [of a 50 megaton blast]
    In your eyes
    Oh, I want to be that complete
    I want to touch the light,
    The heat I see in your eyes

12. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I like Peter Gabriel and that song... but what inspired the imagery of Lil Kim outside the White House playing it? I'm kinda slow.

13. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Geez. First @citygator didn't recognize a scene from Scarface, and now this? I guess I'm dating myself with my 1980's movie references, but I thought I was on safe ground after that "How old are you" poll that established this as a geriatric assisted living message board.

14. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    I was all over Scarface. I get a lot of 80s movies but must have missed that one. And she was more 90s when she hit, right?

15. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Not a John Cusack fan?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    Say Anything is kind of a chick flick, I'm revoking your man card for making that reference.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. wgbgator

Apr 19, 2007
    Geo-hell
    He meant "Lil Kim" the pejorative nickname of the NK leader, not the 90s female rapper.

18. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Silly me. I'd rather picture the rapper personally.

At least before she got her face carved up. Another woman ruined by plastic surgery.

19. G. Gordon Gator

May 3, 2017
    Uhhh no. Part of being a man is participating in sexual bartering that occasionally requires you to watch those. Or at least sit there quietly while they are playing. I've sat through more movies starring guys named "Ryan" than I'd care to admit.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Trump has gotten further than most.

BUT this is NK. I don't expect this to be easy or change much - SHORT TERM.