Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

White Castle, or Krystal?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Apr 19, 2019.

White Castle, or Krystal?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2019.
  1. White Castle

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Krystal

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    White Castle

2. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Wasn't there one of the two right across the street from the business admin building?

3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I grew up in St. Pete in the 50's and 60's and remember Royal Castle with 10 cent burgers. They were pretty good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I think that was the one where Cindi the Disco Queen found Jesus in the parking lot, and Brother Jed on The Plaza. Good times!

5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Before my time. My recollection was of Royal Castle was 15 cent burgers and 5 cent birch beers. Maybe the burgers were a little more expensive in Miami. One of high school classmates got a part-time jobs at Royal Castle with one of the benefits being unlimited access to the food. Within 3 months his weight went from 145 lbs up to 170.

6. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    What a coincidence! That also describes the first quarter of my freshman year in Weaver Hall.

7. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

[​IMG]

8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I went to school in the Midwest for 6 years, wondering every freaking winter about how stupid I was to leave Florida for school. I used to visit White Castle a fair bit, especially when I drove a truck one summer in Detroit. I wouldn't get a lunch break so buying a dozen and eating them while driving was lunch. I had horrible eating habits that summer but lost almost 10 pounds, largely from rowing practice twice a day. I was able to win with a US gold medal that summer, however. Don't know if White Castle helped or hurt.

By the way, Publix has White Castle burgers in the frozen food section here. I tried them a few months ago and they do a fair approximation of the real thing. They come in a plastic pouch you don't open until you have microwaved it long enough which makes the texture quite close to 'fresh' ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    So this thread gave me a Krystal jones, but none in St Petersburg. The jones isn't strong enough to make me cross the bridge

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. WhattaGator

The farther north you head, the more prevalent White Castle is. By the time you get into Virginia, Krystal is nonexstent for the mot part.

I've never even seen an I-95 sign past southern Georgia that had a Krystals sign, but the farther north you drove, it seemed that about every 3rd exit had the White Castle sign.

On the long drive I used to make, I can remember getting a sackful of a dozen, then about 9-12 exits farther, it was time for another sackful.

They were addictive!

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I haven't set eyes on a Krystal in nearly 40 years and don't really remember what it tasted like, just what the people there looked like. Didn't think they were still in business. I go to White Castle about once a month, usually on my way home from listening to a live band in the city. Must be three or four of them along North Avenue in Chicago on the way to Oak Park.

12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    The next time I see either one of the two, I am stopping and getting some.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    Yesterday I mentioned above that Publix has White Castle sliders in their frozen foods section. Look what was in my email from Publix this morning:
    Capture.JPG
    Who says privacy on the Interweb is a thing of the past?

14. WhattaGator

In that case....

Hey.. did anyone know that you can get White Castle sliders in the frozen food section at Publix?? <hint, hint>

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1