Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Which offense would you rather watch?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Sep 19, 2021.

1. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    is this a trick question?

I’d rather watch the offense with a Heisman contender and best TE of all time. Nothing is better than watching elite players. Add in the others from last season and the offense was an absolute treat to watch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    What if we have another Heisman contender in the fold with this offense? :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    I love the stable of running backs we have...... But, ever since The Old Ball Coach was here doing the Fun and Gun, it will always be the air attack first. I love a good/great blocking line, a gunslinger QB, and some speedy, good hands people (WR's, TE's, & RB's ).
    A couple of terms I have always liked:
    Fun and Gun
    Air Raid
    Air Coryell
    Chunks of yards peppered with slashing runs by the RB's mixed in.
    Massive total game yards and numerous double diget point totals....
    GO GATORS!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. bike1014

bike1014 GC Legend

Jan 9, 2010
    We're not even close to having that. But collectively, this years offense is really fun too! My initial comment was a not a slight to the 2021 offense, I just prefer watching truly elite talent and we had that last year.

Overall though, I personally prefer watching a precise passing game like last year over any offense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    This version is easier to replicate. Last years required a QB with elite processing speed. Last year’s with this o-line would be fun.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Get back to me in November.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    Hard to vote against watching Trask strikes to the best receiver corps in the country. And the backstory on Trask made it even more special.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I kind of like how Spurrier did it at UF with his pass attack then modified somewhat when at SC. I think Mullen has done amazing things as our OC creating a lethal pass attack for Trask now a run game with our QBs and RBs. And the apparent dominance by our OL is really a big deal. I just hope we stay healthy because my guess is we don't have much depth.

I think mullen is going to be run-first because we don't have the accuracy to be pass-first. That's okay though, we need to show recruits that Havesy can coach it up and that Mullen will move the ball either way. Spurrier was able to have some balance but not sure CDM has that luxury yet.

9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    There is nothing more demoralizing to a defense than a powerful run game. And no better friend to your own defense. Don't underestimate how TOP played into the Gator's favor on Saturday. I know it's not a popular take, but it's the truth.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. KSAGator

KSAGator Premium Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Mexico
    This. Last year, we couldn’t run the ball. This year, we clearly can, while having the upside of EJ and AR develop more as passers.

Probably also more accurate just to think of QB play rather than “passing offense”. If our QBs run for 200 yards in a given game, then that is 200 yards of lower-risk QB production as compared to gaining that through the air. Tough call as great as Kyle is, but I like where we are going offensively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Last years offense was significantly better than this years. At the end of the day it’s about production. We put up way more yards and points last year. We had a much higher % of successful drives.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    I loved watching what we had last year, so fun! It was reminiscent of Danny Wuerffel, but with even more precision passes. But I believe what we are building now delivers a higher percentage win rate once we can eliminate most of the mistakes. Since I love winning, this is what I want to see. What we had last year was a generational quarterback, you aren't going to have those all the time!
    I'll tell you what I really love is an offense with a featured running back who can deliver almost on schedule. Mullen doesn't run that type of offense, he always has multiple backs and prefers a running QB. That's cool, I love watching this. I think with AR back in the mix we'll have an explosive running game with the arial fireworks mixe in, it will be a joy to watch!

Attached Files:

13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Okay, what you are asking is "do you prefer a damn good passing game (whew, because we really can't run the ball well) or do you prefer a damn good running game (whew, because our passing game is off)? Well, if you score points, that is the one I prefer. This year is less about the offense than it is about the FG kicking (less good). The defense is better than last year and so we don't need 40-35 games.

So I prefer an offense that scores points and complements the defense. It worked somewhat last year (defense AWFUL) and it may work even better this year. We shall see.

Too bad Evan Mc isn't walking through that door. It may be the difference in a close game.

14. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    To answer the original question, last years offense was more fun to watch. But if I had my choice I like the smash mouth football we play this year. The only caveat is that when we have to move the ball quickly down the field the talent has not yet shown itself to exist. Nor can we throw the ball into the end zone within the 10 yard line.

15. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Whichever one leads us to wins

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Last years offense was glorious. (it's a shame those kids had minimal fans at games.

But what I like about this offense is it is kick-ass smash-mouth football. I think the passing will continue to improve and the defensive players seem to be getting a grip on it all. The lines are awesome. If they clean up assignments, missed tackles and penalties, we'd be pretty unstoppable.

Not sure I've ever felt this good after a regular season loss or win...

This team is on to something.

Go Gators.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. trump4life

trump4life All American

Oct 7, 2020
    Tallahassee
    This is the offense CDM has been waiting to run at UF. It is the offense I’ve been wait to see. Give us a chance and we will consistently see production as we saw in 2008. Give the defense the option to mature, and we will see a strong defense.

2020 offense was a great passing offense but had no balance as we could not run. With this years offense we are balanced. May not have equal run/passing yards but will likely see closer to 50-50 on number of plays.

we had Bamas defense tired. The conversion was a fubar. The missed placement was a fubar. We stopped ourselves.

had the game gone to OT we would have won. We know it and in their hearts Bama knows it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. gator_lyn

gator_lyn GC Legend

Oct 28, 2017
    Our running attack this year is a force. We have real pro-style running backs, not the scat backs we had during UM.

But gotta admit, last year's Offense was fun. Had we had an above average D we could really hurt some teams. We scored so quick

20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    I think it was the LSU game that year when the Gators were holding them to four and outs and mixing the pass and run until they just stopped passing all together. Neil and John L were getting five or six yards on every carry. Kerwin was just pitching right, pitching left or handing off to Williams. I think Wilbur got a pick six in that game. By that point in the season, no team in college football could have beaten the Gators. Decent OL back then.

• Agree Agree x 1