Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where Florida Failed And Succeeded With Lineup Decisions

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Thanks that is excellent data and makes a ton of sense. You can see where a coach would think swapping Locke for Lewis would make the team better defensively but the data says otherwise which I would never think to be the case.

3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you think White understands this? Pretty scary if he doesn’t

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett GC Columnist VIP Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    I wouldn't want to say he doesn't understand it, but I have spent the last three seasons keeping a very close eye on lineup data and it's fairly clear that it's not something he 1) looks at or 2) uses to inform lineup decisions. Florida has made enough not optimal lineup decisions to suggest to me lineup data isn't a tool they utilize.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Really good stuff and it shows how important it is that we fill the roster with high quality players that can help overcome the deficiencies in White’s coaching. I know that a lot of people will think that I’m just getting in another slam on White but I’m not. Even the strongest supporters of White have to admit that he has a lot of room for improvement in his coaching. Until that happens, and we all are wanting to see him improve his coaching, then we need top notch players and can’t take any more projects that we hope develop into good players. Much the same with Calipari, he is a great recruiter but not a really good in-game coach. The man could sell ice to an Eskimo but is at best an average in-game coach. He gets talent and is good at rebuilding a team over every season but with the covid restrictions it threw a monkey wrench into his methods this past year. That’s why UK never came together as a team and had a horrible season.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Awesome work, @Efawcett7! I think the small ball team was to put our best FT shooting team on the floor.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  7. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Great analysis, Eric. I can’t imagine why any coaching staff wouldn’t look at this kind of info. I know Oats at Bama is really into analytics. He says the numbers tell him to primarily shoot 3’s and layups and that’s why you rarely see them taking anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That’s unfortunate - your data is compelling

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    There is a difference in transition defense when making versus missing a shot. Sometimes great offense (scoring on possessions) makes for better defense. We were dominated down low by a few teams, but it was the opposing guards that for the most part out played our guards in terms of point production and determining losses.

10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Every post including your silly poll is a slam on White

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Analytics are important, but so is feel for the game...Kevin Cash pulling Snell is the WS is a good example.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You remind me of that saying about opinions, the part about what they are like that everyone has one of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    With all the money we invest in that program, White could easily hire an analyst to run the analytics and use the information. Or, he get some sharp UF student to do it basically for free. That’s why god created computers. Weird that he isn’t doing that already.

Good stuff Eric.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    The conclusions reached from these data are not necessarily valid. The data only show a snapshot at the end of a season

1. Any coach may not have complete control over who is available at any particular moment. Fouls, injury (often that are not known outside the team), fatigue, etc. may limit a player's availability
    2. The +/- data probably weren't the same game to game. A graph showing changes over the season would be more useful. For example, was there a point where the numbers changed drastically, or was there a particular game that skewed the data in some way. We played Tennessee three times. Were the +/- the same each time
    3. At what point is there enough dat to allow a coach to make an informed decision. Are the data from the first game enough to give a coach confidence, or the data from the first 10 games, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Most guys pretty much have a single role, be it at one or two positions.

Can you draw any conclusions about where Lewis was most and least effective, since he played the 2, 3 and 4?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    i get what you are saying. But why not analyze the data game by game? How could that hurt?

17. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Or maybe just give Eric a call every once in a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Nothing wrong, but it still includes a significant amount of the human element, maybe even more game by game. A team did "this" last game. But, what are the differences between the team we just played, and the team we are playing next? Home game vs. away game? Did a player hurt something in the last game, or is a player in better shape than in the last game. And so forth.

19. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Well that will always be the argument against analytics. They don't account for the human factor. However, what data does show is a possible correlation that can be helpful as a useful tool in the toolbox.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    New guys will equal new data- I agree with that. But since coaches don’t use this data it doesn’t matter, sadly.