Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where does DM rank among college football coaches?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Apr 20, 2021.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Obviously NS is number one and Dabo S number two, personally I'd rank DM somewhere in the 5-10 spot, closer to five than ten. I do think he would be ranked higher if not for the abysmal finish last year. From all accounts DM is very competitive and I think he is going to push this team harder this year to make up for last years finish. I have us going 10-2 and winning the east. What say you?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely top tier game day coach. Above average in the other areas. Take Saban and Dabo off the list and the next 10 guys are interchangeable. Mullen is squarely in that group. UF isn't going to do better than CDM in the near future, so it will be interesting to see if the fanbase has the patience to ride out that reality.

Program will be very good under his leadership, but a bit of luck/timing is what pushes guys from that group to where Dabo has Clemson at the moment. No point discussing Bammer, as that will never be duplicated again.

This year's team could easily go 10-2, but a few bad breaks and 8-4 wouldn't be a shock.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Top 10, win the SEC And a Natty, top 3 :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I have him at #10 even with my O&B goggles. This takes into account everything from coaching to recruiting to program building to a history of winning.

1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Jimbo Fisher
    4. Lincoln Riley
    5. Brian Kelly
    6. Ryan Day
    7. Kirby Smart
    8. Jim Harbaugh
    9. James Franklin
    10. Dan Mullen
    11. Mike Gundy
    12. Mack Brown

• Funny x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  5. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    No p problem

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hair all and Franklin , gimme a break

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Franklin won at Vandy, which is tougher than Mississippi State. Harbaugh’s career has been a lot more decorated than that of Mullen’s. They both have higher career winning percentages.

Winningest Active Coaches

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  9. Emmitto

Emmitto GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Saban is untouchable. Even Swinney, despite the obvious results, is not a full tier better than the rest IMO. Swinney is obviously a better recruiter, but I'd be happy with DM on game day instead. I don't see them at 12-1 every year in the SEC. That goes for most of the list "ahead" of DM.

I don't even know that some of them are better recruiters. When is the last time UGA or OSU did NOT recruit well, no matter who it was? Clemson was obviously not the recruiting power they are now with Swinney. Kelly is also total MEH to me. He prolly coaxes a little more than the talent on hand, but they are another product of stud-dodging. Franklin is also just MEH to me.

Harbaugh is close to a total dud. A lot of yap, but so far a total whiff on the team in his own conference that will eventually go on to lose to Bama or Clemson. He is approaching UT v. Spurrier territory, and he needs a win, pronto, just to maintain that level of ineptitude.

I'd like to see DM land a few more true big timers, but other than Saban I am content with him over any of the others, at least for now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  10. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Dan has consistently been able to do more with less. I like to think last year was an anomaly, I'll give him the Covid-19 excuse that almost every organization in the country has been touting (try shipping something overnight and you'll know what I'm talking about). If our defense isn't significantly improved in 2021 I will be less pleased with him. I expect the offense to be solid but we need to defense to be able to get enough stops to win the big games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Like my wife, he's the best one I have now.

Just kidding, I think he's top-tier (and, she is, too). Other than the two obvious contenders in the state's of Alabama and South Carolina, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else. And, if we had Saban, I would have to swallow my own vomit at every presser.

12. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Not a bad list.

Tier 1: Proven to win Natty, and sustain sucess
    1) Saban
    2) Swinney
    3) Fisher (distant #3)

Tier 2: Young high upside and have sustained some success

4) Riley
    5) Day
    6) Smart

Tier 3: Long Time head coaches who've been successful, but seem unlikely to breakthru get to a Natty

7) Kelley
    8) Mullen
    9) Franklin
    10) Harbaugh
    11) Fitzgerald
    12) Brown
    13) Gundy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  13. 31g8r

31g8r GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Uhh, didn’t Mack B win a NC with Vince Young?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    1. Nick Saban
    2. Dabo Swinney
    3. Ryan Day
    4. Kirby Smart
    5. Lincoln Riley
    6. Brian Kelly
    7. Jimbo Fisher
    8. Dan Mullen
    9. Ed Orgeron
    10. James Franklin
    11. Matt Campbell
    12. David Shaw
    13. Kyle Whittingham
    14. Mario Cristobal

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Mullen might be the best offensive game-day coach around. Recruiting is what will likely hold him back. He's not an elite recruiter & being hamstrung by our administration takes Mullen down to average. However he's using the portal to get around those restraints. We'll see if the portal gives Mullen what he needs to be an elite coach; otherwise, we're stuck with being "okay".

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    At present in the second tier of the top ten. Hardware will move him up.

17. njgator

njgator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    If I’m not mistaken Mullen is regarded as one of the best offensive minds in the country, college or pro. His reputation for developing quarterbacks is also widely known. Yes, we know that recruiting is not his best feature but his player development skills are through the roof. Really looking forward to the upcoming season this fall. CDM can finally run the offense that he helped design. Also curious to see how EJ has developed and if he is ready to command the offense. Want to see Richardson getting some reps as well. We have a lot of talent at the QB position and in the backfield. If Bowden and Lingard live up to half their hype and the O-line improves, we could be dangerous on offense. By everything I’ve heard, the defense has looked a lot better in the spring scrimmages. Hope that’s true. Go Gators !!

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  18. beteez

beteez Freshman

Jul 20, 2009
    In order to win hardware he will have to beat Kirby when dawgs are not starting a walk on QB and beat Sagan. That may take a while.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    I’d add Malzahn, Les Miles, and Ed Orgeron to that Tier 3 list as well...even with the Natties.

20. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We really needed the hiring of CDM a few years ago to get our mojo back. Between Chump and Mac, it was year after year of 100+ ranking in total Offense. Awful Offense for so long. In many ways, it was a miracle CDM was able to turn it around.
    I'm not sure if CDM has the gravitas to be a top 5 total coach. He seems to come up with some shady comments aimed at casting doubt whether he will be a long term commitment in Gainesville. Sometimes his delivery is half joking, and other times he seems serious. IMO, I think nothing good comes from those types of comments and I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to move on. I hope not but he would need to say he is here for the long haul if he wants to create a long term top tiered program

• Like Like x 1