Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where do you live?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by wingtee, May 4, 2018.

1. kes

kes All American

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Surprised how many Volusia County folks here. From Ocala, in Deland now. I really enjoy the area.

2. rebekah

rebekah Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Crawfordville, FL
    Crawfordville! Home of Feleipe!

3. rebekah

rebekah Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Crawfordville, FL
    igabradley, is your last name Thames?

4. Kirby

Kirby GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    Born and raised in Tally. Left to go to UF and never moved back. Met my wife there. I moved to Huntsville in 82 to make solid propellant rocket motors for 10 years until they closed the plant. Worked the next 10 years in the chemical industry (ChE) including a 5 year stay in Mobile before moving back to Huntsville in 02 to go to work for the Army. I started the Rocket City Gator Club here in 00 and it's still going. Have a son at LSU (better there than Aub or AL).

• Like Like x 2
  5. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    My last name is Bradley, but I know the Thames.

6. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    I moved to S Arlington Long Branch Park (S Glebe & 395) behind a bunch of Section 8 housing in 1997! Moved away to Ft Lauderdale just 5 years ago.
    You want to talk about seeing changes in Arlington! Back then Ballston/VA Square was, as you say, a shitty mall (really shitty then), and a bunch of money-laundering used car lots.
    Anybody remember Bardo and all those Vietnamese restaurants clustered around the Clarendon Metro?

• Like Like x 1
  7. dkgator

dkgator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Started going to DC Gator Club meetings back in 1992 when it was somewhere downtown, then moved out to Fairfax for a year or two before settling into Ramparts in Alexandria for several years. Ramparts was interesting because we shared the bar/restaurant with Alabama, separated by a single door. They closed and locked it and covered it with a gate when we played each other back then. Always thought that was ridiculous.
    Watched the 1997 Sugar Bowl and celebrated our first National Championship in the bar portion there.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    Cville. Moved here about 10 years ago from south florida and love it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R All American

Nov 19, 2014
    Stafford/Fredericksburg

• Like Like x 1
  10. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    I live in Sarasota, Florida. I am class of '90. I have been to both final 4's. I went to New Orleans for the 52-20 best down of the clown college and I was at the '06 beat down of tosu in '06.

• Like Like x 1
  11. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Yes, I lived in Deland for a year, one of the very few cities in the Nation that wisely followed Thomas Jefferson's city design, and even better that the intelligence to reward growing Trees in your yard with Tax Breaks, which means that the city is cooler and loaded with birds, like Pileated Woodpeckers (Woody was modeled on the Ivory Billed, but the Pileated is almost identical in size, pecking behaviour and flight patterns).

12. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I loved Alexandria. 2 of my best female friends moved there after we graduated in 99. I went to visit them 3-4 times for several days at a time. We'd hit Georgetown, DC, etc...And we always had a blast.

One night after leaving Madams organ in Georgetown we were walking down the street to our car. There was probably 7-8 of us walking down one side of the street. As we were walking I stopped for a second to look across the street and I saw a dude walking up the street with someone rolled up in a rug/carpet. I was pretty drunk but I stopped everyone we were with and said holy shit, am I really seeing this? They all looked and couldn't believe it either. We probably should've called someone to look into it but we didn't. I haven't spoken to the girls in a few years but when we would chat one of us would say, can you believe what we saw that night? Why didn't we do anything? It was such a bizarre situation.

13. Moved back to the states last fall and live in Stamford Connecticut... Hate it and can't wait to move back down south

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Gtrfn4evr

Gtrfn4evr Senior

Apr 15, 2007
    Let's just say I can walk out my front door and dangle my feet in the Gulf of Mexico.

15. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol..I must be a really sick dude. As I was reading this post I was expecting it to take a different direction after "dangle my...." in the gulf.....

GC has really jaded me!

16. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    Sure, Arizona.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Those used car lots have pissed me off for a long time. I knew they were totally illegitimate but they’re dropping off, one-by-one. Also hilarious that they’re such disheveled-looking, used car lots and you have like 6 figure BMWs and Mercedes sitting there.

18. wygator

wygator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 31, 2010
    As an aside, it is hard to appreciate the sparse population of Wyoming. There are fewer than 6 people per square mile. My home county of Natrona has one of the two largest cities in the state. At 5,300 sq miles our density is 15 people per sq mile.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, but Kanye is in Wyoming right now putting together his latest album so that makes up for alot of misgivings concerning Wyoming. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Christmas 2016 I drove from Connecticut to Seattle by myself along I-90. I must say, I was struck by the beauty of Wyoming as soon as I entered the state. I was impressed. Also, even though I drove through 17 blizzards Idaho was beautiful too. The worst driving in the world has to be late December going over Snoqualmie pass. That was miserable driving. Dozens and dozens of cars pulled over on the side of the road putting "mandatory" tire chains on that I didn't have. Lol

It also felt like it took 4 days to drive the length of Montana. Ugh...I loved the 80 mph and the scenic beauty.

• Like Like x 1