Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where are you at with Mike?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Feb 13, 2020.

Where do you stand with Mike White?

1. 100% on board regardless of the remaining games. (baring unforeseen epic collapse)

44.3%
  2. Has to make the dance to want him back

10.2%
  3. Need to make the 2nd weekend with this group, or I am am on board with a change.

9.0%
  4. 100% want him replaced regardless of the remaining games this season. (except deep run in tourney)

12.0%
  5. Must make the dance AND agree to shake up his staff for the sake of the offense.

24.6%
  1. keefer

keefer Dumbass Extraordinaire Premium Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Gator City
    I am in this camp I'm afraid. One consistency I've seen in Mike White's tenure is inconsistency, especially offensively. We tend to lose games with big leads, or fall out of close games due to long stretches of poor/stagnate offensive play, many times with strange player combinations or questionable play calling and shot selection. This seems to be true for every year that CMW has been here.

We seem to take on the personality of our coach, not a lot of fire or emotion and I'd like to see more player development as well. All in all, I'd have to give the guy a C grade.

2. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life GC Legend

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Basically it’s a deep tourney run or a staff shakeup... and either way he should rightfully be on the hot seat. Up until this year i thought his teams always played with effort, and his recruiting was always promising. The only thing he was missing was a really good offensive coach in his bench.

This year has seen the recruiting promise realized, but regression on defense, and nothing on offense. He still could figure it out, and the buyout is painful in the middle of all the facility upgrades around campus.

3. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    So people seem intent on comparing a once-in-a-lifetime coach to coach White.
    • Through the first 4 years White has a better winning percent, 62.7% to 61.4%.
    • Through games to date though Donovan bests White, 64.5% to 62.9%.
    • White has failed to get an NCAA bid 25% of the time compared to Donovan's 26.3%.
    • White has had no losing seasons, while Donovan ended in futility 15.8% of the time.
    • In regard to high rankings & poor NCAA tourney performance: White had a #5 team that lost in the 2nd round. Donovan had teams ranked #5, #2, #1, #1 that all lost in the 1st/2nd round.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    billy took a program that had been to 5 tournament appearances in its entire history, with a depleted roster, and made it a national power. White took over a national program with a bunch of four and five star guys. Billy went from 13-17 to 14-15 to 22-9 to 29-8 in his first four years.
    Not exactly a fair comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Ok.
    But if we like to use Billy as a benchmark... their records were quite similar at this stage of tenure at uf.

billy: 92-53
    Mike: 101-59

Yes, I know the “mike inherited a different program” argument.
    But what Mike also inherited was a sub .500 roster and a program whose success was almost exclusively connected to its departing coach.

As I’ve said- I firmly believe recruits during Billy’s tenure were coming to play for him much more so than Florida. And so I disagree with any suggestion that mike took over some sort of self-sustaining hoops machine. Mike had an uphill battle, and I think he has done quite well.

That said, he has a learning curve... and needs to progress. I think it will continue to happen.

I have little doubt he is right for this program.

I understand others feel differently and why they do.

Go Gators!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That’s complete horse crap you can’t possibly believe that Brent. You are blinded by your love for this coach. Billy set him up with every opportunity to be elite and he’s not even the best program in the state anymore let alone competitive on a national level.

Bring back Grant. NOW.

7. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I absolutely believe it.
    Trust me, I care too much about Gators hoops to have a stubborn alliance to a guy I endorsed. If he flops- I’ll want a change. But I stand by what I posted as my honest opinion. I’m fact, I always feared when Billy would leave bc I felt that our program successes were exclusively tied to him, as opposed to a Kentucky, Kansas or Duke. Yet, those successes established a benchmark for expectation on par with those others.

Anyway, let me ask you an honest question:

What do you think the overriding allure was to play at Florida- Billy Donovan or it’s basketball program?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It was pretty obvious from day one that Billy was a great coach. It didn’t take long before everyone loved Billyball. No one loves Mikeball. I am not advocating running Mike off, but there are a few coaches that I would take over Mike, including Grant. My primary concern about not going after Grant now is that Miami is an ACC school with a 70-year old coach, and Grant is a Miami native. It seems to me to be an obvious fit for Grant to go to Miami unless we get him first. I don’t see it happening.
    What’s the overriding allure to play at Duke, UNC and UK? It’s the coach there and everywhere else. You have to
    Keep hiring great coaches.

9. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They go hand-in-hand. Billy is Florida and Florida is Billy. The program has appeal BECAUSE of Billy.

When you ask any fan who follows college basketball the programs with pedigree in the SEC you hear Kentucky first and then if you asked them to name a second it’s Florida.

10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    ...and if you asked any fan that same question in the 90s... the answer would’ve unanimously been Arkansas.
    But then Nolan Richardson left.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Im sure you know this, but we are not in the same category as those schools- ones which have basketball first, last and always.

Bill Self left Illinois to go to Kansas. Our coach left Florida to go to Illinois... two years removed from a final four. And when he left, he publicly critiqued the lack of support and passion for the game.

I think we really underestimate how fortunate ... and incredibly unlikely ... Florida was to land AND, more importantly, retain Donovan. There were a ton of factors that contributed... family, Foley, timing.

But we are not Kansas, Kentucky, Duke or Carolina. And even Billy privately lamented the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. keefer

keefer Dumbass Extraordinaire Premium Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Gator City
    Can Mike White become another Billy? Wow. That's asking an awful lot. I'm just not sure that we are seeing progression under his watch. He may not have the basketball I.Q. of a Billy Donovan.

13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think even bigger than that, we had an athletics director that had a driving passion to raise the level (and then maintain the level) of our college basketball program. If the passion is there from the athletics department, a good coach can become a great coach here given the proper resources. Billy didn't just stay here because of our outstanding fan support from GATOR nation, right? ;)

Doesn't matter, what he says publicly is far more important. He very clearly expressed a passion for GAINESVILLE and a passion for the previous athletics director. It wasn't an accident that he found success here and enjoyed being here.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    "Mom?"

15. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Fixed it in time! :)

16. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Whew! I was wondering about what weird relationship was going on here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Of course it matters- it’s speaks to reality of Florida basketball.

I agree regarding the importance of a supportive, driven AD and UAA.
    I hope we see that from SS and his staff.

18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Reality is that Lon Kruger has coached at 3 different schools for a total of 19 seasons (prior to this season), and he's won a total of 13 NCAA Tournament games over that stretch. He's a very good coach, but he was never going to be that elite coach to get us to the next level. Did Illinois not have the fan support? How about UNLV? Does Oklahoma really have the basketball following that FLORIDA just doesn't have? I don't know, maybe they do. I feel like Lon Kruger was speaking to his limitations more than he was to FLORIDA's limitations, but the move was best for both parties. They are drawing less than 8,000 per game in Oklahoma these days (capacity = 11,500).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Maybe.

But he made comment during the final four season, during which florida was 13-0 at home, yet not filling the arena. I doubt he was speaking to his limitations at that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    That equation was great when Billy was here. But he's not.

So... Billy WAS Florida. Florida WAS Billy.

And I'm not sure that helps Mike White, or any future coach, as much as you may think.