Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Where are you at with Mike?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Feb 13, 2020.

Where do you stand with Mike White?

1. 100% on board regardless of the remaining games. (baring unforeseen epic collapse)

44.3%
  2. Has to make the dance to want him back

10.2%
  3. Need to make the 2nd weekend with this group, or I am am on board with a change.

9.0%
  4. 100% want him replaced regardless of the remaining games this season. (except deep run in tourney)

12.0%
  5. Must make the dance AND agree to shake up his staff for the sake of the offense.

24.6%
  1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Shaka Smart was the big comparison to Mike White at the time we hired Mike White. Shaka recruited very well early on and continues to bring in talent to Texas. That said, he has a .528 record as a HC at Texas. 85-76 record. Mike White is the better game coach. Mike is 101-61 and a .628 winning percentage by comparison.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Billy Donovan made it pretty clear tonight that he felt Mike White is doing a great job as coach.
    He compared Mike's situation with his own in Oklahoma; getting a whole new group of guys to learn to play together. His opinion was that Mike White's making the team better and better.

OTOH, what the heck does he know...he likes Foley.;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Tell me what coach would be available to come here?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brewski

Brewski Premium Member

Oct 13, 2011
    I like it how #1 is the winner.
    We’ve got a good coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Denver
    Farrrr Coach Whitney. He is a bum.
    Oh wait, we have won 2 games in a row!
    Keep Coach Whitney!!!11!!1

6. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    Are you serious?

• Like Like x 1
  7. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Bob Stoops?

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    I saw it differently. I saw the same inept and frustrating passing game/offense until one thing happened, which was the unfortunate injury to Franks which forced Mullen to play Trask. The light switch went on immediately, and all of a sudden our receivers were open by a mile (they were actually open for the last two years, but Franks couldn't get them the ball). Had Trask not become the starter, Mullen would not look as good as he does now and I'm saying this as a person who believes in and supports Coach Mullen. Mullen is the right guy with the right attitude, but let's not act like the offense was looking like Pat Mahomes and the Chiefs before Trask took over. You could even argue that Mullen cost us a possible road win against LSU by his tinkering with using two QBs during that game. It may well have been us playing in the CFB playoffs instead of them.

Coach White thought he was getting two lottery picks in Lewis and Mann, and a 1st-2nd rounder in Blackshear. We all did. Come to find out Lewis is raw, Mann shoots inconsistently, and neither one of them can effectively drive to the basket right now. I'm not being negative, and I support our guys. I just don't think Mullen is doing something White isn't. Mullen was on the path to a horrible passing game with Franks for the whole season before the injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    Very, very interesting/good post.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Too many erstwhile supposed Gator fans remind me of bandwagon fans who I despise. This young, but talented team is still forming itself. Young players need to find their niche and become team players and this is why they're inconsistent. Gator fans expect too much...to soon. Mike White is a very good coach and as a sixty plus years of being a Gator fan I've seen it all. Poor mouthing this team and this coach will hurt everyone. After all what do most of us understand about the game?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    S
    Three straight NCAA tournaments and 2017 SEC Coach of the year.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. jrcg8tor

jrcg8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2007
    I believe college basketball recruiting is in a transition period. The last decade teams like Florida were able to make runs against the blue blood programs by developing strong upper classes. This was due in part to the recruiting corruption that the FBI has been dealing with of late. People may disagree, but for a number of years the shoe companies have created a monopoly for about 4 schools when it came to the truly elite high school players. This is changing and as teams have begun to adjust their recruiting models they have sacrificed upperclassmen.

Coach K was recently griping about the lack of great teams and suggesting it was the NCAA’s fault and changes needed to be made. I think the blue blood programs are not as strong as in prior years because of the lower end of 5 star talent getting spread between more teams. Those teams getting those players are not as good due to not having as many upperclassmen as they used to have.

I think part of the heat Mike White gets comes from the fact he is getting compared more to the past rather than the present. I have never seen the inconsistency that I am seeing this year in college basketball. He Gators are far from alone in this regards. I will be interested to see the next couple of years how Florida progresses and fits into the current recruiting environment.

• Like Like x 6
  13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I agree with you, and I feel as though I understand the game very well, having played for 30 years and counting at various levels. When I see people blaming the coach for guys like Allen and Hudson struggling last year, I wonder what exactly they think he can do to make them hit their shots. There is actually such a thing as players just not playing well or going through a funk. It's happened to me, too. Perhaps, I could fault Coach White on misjudging how parts would come together, but seeing as though this is a young team of talented, but not elite players, I think we are doing well for what we have. The guys give it 100% each night and I think they are starting to come together late in the season.

I thought this was going to be a team with #1 seed potential. We all clearly miscalculated, but that doesn't mean we are terrible. We just aren't what we thought we were. I'm actually really excited about next year getting Appleby and Duruji in there. Those guys look like exactly what we need, assuming Nembhard is gone after this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. chargator

chargator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    There are times that the players lack of recognition on the court...and failure to execute routine plays....that frustrated me.

There are times when I couldn't tell if the Coaches were not teaching proper execution in practice or couldn't communicate and execute it in a game...that frustrated me.

While we've all had our frustrations this year...I think the "chief culprit "...was media projections on our preseason ranking and all of us taking a drink from the kool-aid.

No doubt, Coach White can & should get better. This is the same Coach who coached Chizzoza. Andrew is just a really different PG than what we're used to. I think Chris was able to mesh what he saw on the floor with what Coach White wanted done. I think that's a bigger struggle for Andrew & Coach White.

His first three years, he had to overcome season-ending injuries to his frontcourt...but still made the tournament in two of those.

He's only in his second year with his recruits. Totally revamped his roster and did a major talent upgrade in the process.

He's upgraded recruiting over the last two years.

Runs a clean program & his players are great UF Athletic Ambassadors.

I said all this to say....at times... I'm really frustrated... and at the same time...likely not being a good fan during those times.

That dawned on me last night as I was thinking back of Coach Donovan's tenure. I remembered those 4 or 5 first weekend exits. I didn't lose faith in Coach D....just hoped he'd figure it out...he was too smart not to.

I think Coach White will too.

Funny, UNC almost fired Dean Smith early in his career...

Looking forward to the rest of the season. I think they're gonna take it up a notch, as they close out the year.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Quality post.

If I thought the guys were not being coached well, I'd be calling for White's firing as well. But first and foremost, at UF I demand a high character individual as a coach. Check. I want a leader. Check. I want a mentor to our young men. Check. Now, once that's satisfied, I want a guy who understands the game and can teach. Check.

We need to understand that right now, we aren't on the level of Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or UNC... meaning the top recruits in the nation aren't typically fawning all over us. We are respectable, though, and once those schools have passed on guys, they start to look at us as the next level of schools. That means our freshmen typically aren't one and done talent. That never hurt us in the past, because we develop players. So, we will have a year or two where it doesn't look great as they are figuring things out.

We are firmly on the national radar as a top program... otherwise we wouldn't have been so grossly overrated by the media. That is a good thing, because it shows the respect that Florida has within the basketball expert community. We are seen as a legit top-tier program. Rarely are we underrated and disrespected. We don't typically get snubbed in the tournament seeding or berths, and usually get the same bias of a blue blood by the selection committee.

White has met my expectations, and I don't want another guy in there. I want us to grow with White.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Good stuff! I've been following for 50+ years myself and that adds some perspective. A lot of fans don't see that our struggles are mirrored (or worse) in pretty much every program. No one is immune from inconsistent play in basketball (well, at least since Wooden and UCLA in the 60's).

Good post!

I too get frustrated by the decision making by our players at times, but it's good to remember that many of these players, although ultra-talented compared to schmucks like me :cool:, are just removed from high school and are actually still learning the nuances of the game. Like when to shoot and when to pass and - sometimes very frustrating - when to let an opponent's difficult shot go after you've already played good defense to force what would be a difficult shot (and instead you press the issue further and commit a foul :().

I agree with your last sentence. I quit trying to predict anything decades ago, but this team has me optimistic that they will continue the improvement I've been seeing all season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    It seems what we are seeing with this team is so far there hasn't been a whole lot of middle ground. When they're clicking they are really good but when they are not they can be really bad. Hopefully, we are starting to see more consistency on the plus side but we'll know better over the next couple of weeks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Please don't confuse us with all those facts! :D

[​IMG]

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been following the Gators since 1972. I used to sit in the stands at Alligator Alley watching the Gators practice when John Lotz was the coach. I have attended over 500 games in Gainesville and have attended Gator games in such other locations as Tampa, Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Nashville and New Orleans. I watch every Gator game on TV, including the ones that I already attended. So, I probably don’t fall in the category of a fair weather fan. That said, I have been seriously disappointed in this year’s team and believe that poor coaching has been a part of it. I would take Anthony Grant in a heartbeat over White. If anyone watched any of yesterday’s Dayton vs Massachusetts game, you would have seen 2 former Donovan assistants going at it in an exciting and well coached game. You would have seen tons of ball movement and player movement on offense with numerous screens on practically every possession. We see little of that from the Gators and it makes little sense to me. Now it may turn out that this team is better next season when Nembhard and Blackshear are gone. That happened when Walsh, Roberson and Lee left the program, but I don’t think that we are coming anywhere close to maximizing the use of the talent on this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    all good accomplishments, but getting to 100 wins is not all that impressive when considering that Norm Sloan was UF’s first full time head coach. Before Stormin Norman, we used football assistants to coach BB.