Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where are you at with Mike?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Feb 13, 2020.

Where do you stand with Mike White?

1. 100% on board regardless of the remaining games. (baring unforeseen epic collapse)

44.3%
  2. Has to make the dance to want him back

10.2%
  3. Need to make the 2nd weekend with this group, or I am am on board with a change.

9.0%
  4. 100% want him replaced regardless of the remaining games this season. (except deep run in tourney)

12.0%
  5. Must make the dance AND agree to shake up his staff for the sake of the offense.

24.6%
  1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Cheated as a High School coach. Then while still a high school coach paid former players that went on to play in college. So that is two strikes. Both that he openly admits to and thinks were ok because he feels sorry for players.

Now we have allegations at the college level.

2. tilly

That and why arent these head coaches comng out and firing these assistants and making public stands? Instead they dodge and hide behind their attorney.

If I am not guilty and I know it 100%, I shout it from the rooftops (screw the lawyers) and I fire everyone involved.

3. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I think we have to bring him back for one more year regardless. We have Duraji, Appleby, Lane, Osifo, and Rzhentsev who will change the dynamics of this team completely. MW deserves one more year to put people in place transfer or otherwise who can produce the results that meet up to the Gator standard.

I hope the best for this year and a deep run into the tournament, but if not he should be put on notice that next year is put up or pack up!

4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    This is his 5th year of dog crap. Muschamp, Mac and Zook were all more successful and they got canned a lot earlier.

For those that want to keep him... what evidence do you see that he’s a good coach?

5. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Ao
    Those are great assessments, but I don't think the risk of not getting someone who will take us further is a serious concern. If anything, the track record of exiting the first weekend and never really competing for the SEC sets a benchmark for the new coach to break. Given the history here at Florida, and a coach who knows his Xs and Os and of course who has a reputation as good recruiter/evaluator of talent and development, that really is not such a tough standard to exceed.

I think it was overwhelming just as it was post Spurrier and post Meyer for an unproven coach- Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain to match the intensity of a championship predecessor. What most believed surprising is that with such a system in place and despite changes in staff, the foundation that Billy built unraveled so completely under MW's regime.

It's like someone gives you a cheat sheet to ace an exam, and you throw the paper away and try to get a 95% on your own. Can it happen? Yes! In the timeframe that it needs to - this year and next year will tell! After this year and next, the question marks as to whether this team will EVER return to prominence in basketball will be answered. A good run this year eliminates any hot seat designation next year. A mediocre finish this year and MW will be at the top of the hot seat list.

6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    second fastest to 100 wins in program history.

Elite 8

three straight tourney appearances

sec coy

one of 10 programs in the country to win a tourney game in each of last 3 years.

top 10 recruiting class a year ago

Runs a clean program, kids don’t get in trouble

Mike certainly has a learning curve, but there are justifications for support.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  7. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Pushing the offense gives us a better chance than waiting until 8 seconds left in the shot clock to turn the ball over or force a horrible shot or get a shot clock violation the latter of which has happened more this year than I can can remember in previous years.

8. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

No games forfeited, no vacation of titles. Heck our basketball program was put on probation back in the day. Any coach coming here knows that any appearance of impropriety will not be tolerated.

9. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

It was everyone screaming here to up tempo the game. Part of that starts with crisp, definitive and frequent passes. But we get excoriation from the die hard MW fans.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    this isn’t a great benchmark.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    You seem overly sensitive on the subject. Either that, or I’m reading a different forum. There seems to be a pretty reasonable exchange of opinions here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

There are many who share your sentiments, but this is one of the youngest teams in Division 1, they have flashes of brilliance but just cannot sustain it over the course of longer than 5-7 minutes, and we have a very intriguing class coming in next year regardless of who leaves. I think he gets one more year to hold somewhat of a nucleus of the current team together to combine with new players (two of whom have played with this team all year in practice). I believe good finish or not this year, he gets one more year!

• Like Like x 1
  13. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    People disagreeing with you is not "excoriation."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Florida has proved that with good coaching we are going to win championships. We can't wait forever to turn MW into a championship coach. If he moves at least in that direction, we can live with that, but expecting a break out year say 10 years after mediocrity is ill advisable. We are at 5 now, that is 5 short of 10 how many more years do we wait for this breakout. I think 5-6 years is long enough to give a coach getting millions of dollars a year who comes to an establish program to get the program to where it was and carve out his own legacy. He has one more year to do that or yes he will be winning that championship at another school.

15. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

That's why at this juncture you have to give him another year. Because no one knows what is going to happen the rest of this season. This team will not collapse. There is too much pride even if losing does not create the pain in them that it needs to to really compete for championships. Until this program collectively hates to lose, we are going to have to deal with an attitude that it is okay to lose to lesser opponents because tomorrow is another day.

16. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

I really don't understand your comment. My point addressed playing with a quicker tempo. I don't think there is one person on this board who thinks that such a strategy is not best for this program.

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    I haven’t seen a lot of “excoriation”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

And, that's when the real excoriation would begin!

If we run off a promising coach because of fan support lagging and noise in the system due to "only" getting in the Tourney every year and White's other accomplishments so far (as ably listed by aka), and White then goes on to have a great coaching career elsewhere, you're going to see some mighty pissed off "sunshine pumpers". :eek:

Yes, we want to win as much as possible also!

19. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I read today that, in May when the Nationals were in horrific shape, Mike Rizzo started making the calls to plant seeds on pulling the plug on the Davey Martinez experiment. But they gave him a little time, showed a little patience, and what looked like a coach in over his head actually delivered something of some measurable value.

There are some that seem hell-bent on firing for the sake of firing. Can we at least agree, we should have a better option lined up? Things can actually get worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tilly

No disrespect...and I mean that...but that is a bad take.

• Agree Agree x 7