Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where are you at with Mike?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by tilly, Feb 13, 2020.

Where do you stand with Mike White?

1. 100% on board regardless of the remaining games. (baring unforeseen epic collapse)

44.3%
  2. Has to make the dance to want him back

10.2%
  3. Need to make the 2nd weekend with this group, or I am am on board with a change.

9.0%
  4. 100% want him replaced regardless of the remaining games this season. (except deep run in tourney)

12.0%
  5. Must make the dance AND agree to shake up his staff for the sake of the offense.

24.6%
  1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

**No bashing please**

I think our fanbase is very conflicted with this and the results will be all over the map.

I chose the final option:
    Must make the dance AND agree to shake up his staff for the sake of the offense.

Otherwise he is just McElwain and Muschamp. (Unwilling to change and see beyond the minimal - perhaps deceiving - success that was actually slowly hurting the program.)

If he gets us into March AND is willing to make changes, I am all for keeping him. If we miss the dance OR he is unwilling to make any changes. I am OK with a change.

Now a deep run (E8 or better) would make this all moot and I will support him regardless at that point.

But just curious where you stand...

Go...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Top choice, my only exceptions are nothing McElwain-esque, and sufficient retention of players going into next season (especially KJ and NL).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I went to bed at halftime being a bit under the weather and getting rest was more important than staying up for, what I thought was a likely loss. Seeing the score this morning, it occurred to me that our inconsistencies may indeed be from the lack of cohesiveness and youth and possibly, the team may put it together for a late season run. Time will tell. If so, then I'd say that there's nothing wrong with the staff and it was the players all along. If not, then new assistants are in order for next year. If not, then his future is in serious jeopardy counting on this staff.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    I voted last option. Offense has been too bad for too long and team always looks the same absent random jumps. #142 this year. #291 last year. #116 the year before. 2017 was the las year we had a top 100 offense (61).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    My choice is not up there. I guess I would have to pick onboard, but I am certainly not 100% onboard. I do think there is a very good chance that he will have a much better team next year (and wanted to go on record somewhere and say that so when it happens, I can brag! ;) ). I absolutely think there needs to be staff changes and he must find an offensive identity, and soon. I just hate to be so short sighted result oriented in deciding a coach's fate (why does this team hurt him more than the Elite Eight helps him?). So guess I am 50% #1 and 50% #5 in your poll.

I just keep thinking about Foley letting Andy Lopez go. He then went on to win a NC at another school before we won one here. It looked like a mistake at that time, or at least not wise. It has worked out. I genuinely hope for Mike White to do well as a coach where ever he goes and would really like it to be at UF, but at some point, you are what your record says you are.

If I were the AD I would have a frank discussion with him about why this team is the way it is, what he has done about it, why he thinks it is not working and what he plans to do for the future. And then make my immediate decision based on his awareness level of the situation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm pretty agnostic about White's future. There are good arguments for firing him, there are good arguments for keeping him. It's not an easy call, and it's not like football, where it was a relatively simple task to identify superior options to the guys we ended up firing. I don't know that we could find an obviously better coach if we fired White.

I think the challenge, moving forward, is that age-old dilemma - when do you move on from a coach who's doing fine, but seems to have hit a ceiling? Let's say we make it to the tournament this year as an eight-to-10 seed, then lose on the first weekend. It's not the catastrophic possibility, but it's hard not to see that as a disappointment considering pre-season expectations. Then, let's say we do the exact same thing next season - tournament team, no serious challenge for the SEC championship, first weekend exit. That's four straight years of more or less the exact same season, which is a fairly depressing thought.

And so then you ask yourself - is this all Florida basketball can be? A mid-range SEC team at the fringes of the top 25 at best, no serious threat to win championships of any kind, but competent enough to at least make the tournament every year? Donovan obviously had that stretch of early tournament ousters post-national title game, pre-04's, but those were generally pretty good teams that under-performed in a single-elimination tournament. If you decide that level isn't good enough and you fire White, are you sure the next guy can actually make things better? And if you decide to stick with White and hope he pulls a Billy and lifts up the program, are you condemning yourself to more years of boring basketball and a checked-out fanbase?

It's a tough decision. That's why Stricklin sits in the big chair.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You are gonna see different opinions depending on results of whatever game you ask this same question.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    None of the above.

I think we can do better than White. He’s classic OTJT. But he’s not a Muschampian lost cause either.... he can get it . But so far he’s been pretty bad.

I prefer a change.. only because I think we get back to elite faster with a higher probability that way. But again, White isn’t a lost cause

Sneaking into the dance (or barely missing it) won’t change my evaluation of him. That’s well within the margin of error. If we run the table or totally choke.. then that may change things. But I suspect we remain the way we are

In terms of coaches I’m not in favor in forcing staff changes. Certainly we need help with offense. But that realization needs to come from White as part of his growth.

9. kansascitygator

kansascitygator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Another year even if they miss the tournament.......BUT....If I were SS I would want to know what the plan is to fix the same issues that we keep seeing year after year..I hope he gets a seasoned coach for staff to help address this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    If your scenario plays out... which I think is the highly probable White scenario (average bubble team) then you fire him.

Worst case scenario is another coach can do the exact same thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    If opinions are vacillating on a game by game basis... they are not well-founded opinions.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    It’s not an easy call, I went with the last option although I don’t think sneaking into the tournament is necessarily good enough either. I’m worried about doing just good enough every year and constantly having this same conversation. I don’t have much confidence right now in White being able to take that next step in the near future.

13. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I don’t see my choice offered so picked 1. However I think it is more nuanced. The team was very seriously overhyped. Was that CMW’s fault? Scottie and Mann are not what we thought they were (yet). They were (are?) not ready to contribute in a major way at a Div 1 level. Blackshear is a tremendous contributor but can’t carry the team, AN and NL started in something of a sophomore slump which seems to have dissipated. So, yes, I’m disappointed.
    But.... there are two redshirt starters sitting out, Mann, Johnson and Payne and Locke should all be back and Glover and Jitoboh should be better next year. I think CMW is a very good judge of talent and is recruiting at a high level. If next years team is no different than I am good with a change but I don’t see it happening this year and I don’t think it should.

• Like Like x 1
  14. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Where are you getting these ridiculous and incorrect numbers. According to KenPom our adjusted offensive efficiency is #33.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The problem with White isn’t this season, it’s the 5 years of recurring issues only made worse this year with the youth.
    Unless and until those get fixed (offense, in game adjustments etc), his fate is sealed regardless of whether it’s this year, next year etc. and shaking up a staff by force rarely works.
    Still hope he proves me wrong, I like him personally and love that he runs a clean program we can be proud of.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. tilly

Perhaps, but that is why I asked the questions I asked. My opinion did not change after last night. We still had a terrible drought in the first half. I think he MUST get an offensive assistant. Perhaps a vet with HC experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tilly

Agree. I am not advocating a forced change. I has said so previously in a moment of frustration last week, but I think he has to want the change for it to work.

18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Until he has a "Georgia Southern loss" or a "team death threat" moment, he is my coach. Unless we see players who transfer or move on to the pros and are way better than what they were at UF, he is going to get the benefit of the doubt. This isn't UF football. We are not claiming elite status...yet.

Now to my prediction: Mike is going to have to show real improvement next year or else I expect the powers that be, even game attendance, will force SS's hand. And then we get to learn how UF basketball ranks right up there with Tennessee football in prestige when it comes to coaches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    If Dayton wins next year, I hire Grant to replace White. On paper there is a way to make the dance but I think we lose most of the games left.

20. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    You just described most of the fans. My point is that after a win the results will be more favorable than after a loss.