Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Where are the Men???

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by WhattaGator, Jun 13, 2019.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator Ever Vigilant Psycho Mod Moderator VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Sadly, it seems more and more that men are either emasculated, effeminate, or weak on TV...

Whether it be commercials, sitcoms, etc... it seems that there are very few real men depicted anymore.

Studies have shown that generations of men have less testosterone... and I won't go any farther than that.

Has anyone else seen this trend?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes....and welcome to the millennial generation.
    To be fair, they have few male role models depicted in anything they see...unless it's a non-human super hero.
    They are more influenced by cell phone technology and video games over human contact, they are addicted to
    Facebook & Snapchat, while incumbered by student debt, depression and a lack of interest. They watched their
    parents be victimized by the dot.com bust, 9/11, and the 2008 Financial Crisis. They are consumed by oddities
    like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. They prefer texting each other while sitting right next to one another.
    Oh, and keep the avocado toast coming or they'll 'unfriend' you.
    To quote an old rock song....Is it any wonder?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    [​IMG]

Have you been living in a bomb shelter since 1955? If I could have said thanks, but no thanks back in 1960, I wouldn't be here now.

4. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Everybody has seen the trend. It's clearly true that in our cultural commentary shows, men tend to be softer. I think that's mostly due to a higher cost, and lower need for violence (and that traditional masculinity has gone hand-in-hand with violence). But in shows/movies where a physical threat needs to be countered, the shows/movies that do best have a trustworthy, upright, good, courageous man countering the threat. They want a woman, associated with him, who is sort of dealing with the group dynamics, and tending to the wounded. So it's still in us, and are still valued in the right context.

I guess what I'm saying is to the extent that the pussifiction of men is a result of the world being safer than ever, it's probably good but temporary.

• Like Like x 2
  5. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Not only do I see it, but I fully embrace the change. If I need to take care of myself, family or friends I'm prepared to do so, but there's no need to let that be my main attribute. I'd rather be known for being reliable, loving, and empathetic.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. baileyboy1223

baileyboy1223 VIP Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Mossyhead
    The shame is unbearable

7. 1shawngibson1

1shawngibson1 VIP Member

Aug 16, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    I’m sure I’ll sound to you like a complaining millennial but it’s really not the millennials it’s the generation after. However, even more to blame for the way young adults and children act is who... probably the parents. I agree with all of your points I really do but it does get annoying that the generations who raised many of the people you’re talking about take no blame. I’m a millennial ... I’m 26. But I’m also not an emasculated prick. I was raised by the same generation that raised all the idiots in the same age group who believe there are 7,000 genders and that plastic or cardboard straws are a real life issue. I’m a fireman, I bust my ass doing manual labor for side work to afford my mortgage and work hard for my wife. My best friends have been to war, are pro martial arts fighters, football coaches, geographical engineers, police officers ... still millennials. I’m just trying to say all these idiots that are classified as millennials were also raised by idiots who don’t take responsibility. Every generation has it.... sorry for ranting and I still agree with all your points. A lot of millennials suck. Go Gators

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    These days there’s dudes getting facials, manicured waxed and botoxed.
    With deep spray on tans and creamy lotiony hands, you can’t grip a tackle box.
    With all of these men lining up to be neutered it’s hip now to be feminized.
    I don’t highlight my hair, I be still got a pair, remember I’m still a guy
    My eyebrows ain’t plucked there’s a gun in my truck, honey I’m still a guy

- Most appropriate country song ever

• Like Like x 1
  9. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    There’s two types of millennials. You and pussy boy. There is no in between. Either awesome of pathetic

• Like Like x 1
  10. WhattaGator

A lot of the problem also lies in the depiction of men in the media..... They're "wussified", effeminate, stupid and weak.

Whether it be in commercials... The "man" is depicted as weak, stupid and subserviant to the women, and even the children there...

TV shows... I mean, C'mon!! "Pose"?..I stopped watching these new sitcoms...

Magazines... Just look for yourselves

Years ago, we had the "Marlboro Man", or the Rifleman, even the sitcoms were "Father Knows Best"
    We had Chuck Norris, Lee Marvin, John Wayne
    Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen..

What's there now??? Justin Beiber? Gimme a friggin' break!

11. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    It's really difficult to take this thread seriously. Lots of hypersensitivity being displayed here by the "real men'.

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009

Watch the first minute of this. What comes to mind? Men being men? No! It's Brokeback Mountain! Surely these men are just going off to have gay orgies all weekend. I mean, what heterosexual man would ever want to spend one second away from his "better half"? Men are not allowed to go off on their own without women around anymore. Men and boys aren't allowed to have anything of their own anymore without women horning in on it and ruining it. Men can't pick their own friends. They have to let their wives do it for them. When a man gets married, he has to say goodbye to all his single friends and plug in a bunch of married couples of his wife's choosing the male half of which he may despise but as long as the wives get along, that's all that matters. Boys are drugged so nobody has to deal with the messy part of having sons or boys in the classroom anymore. A good whack on the fanny with a paddle when they really got out of line was way preferable to destroying their energy and creativity. If you wonder why we've never gone back to the Moon, that might be a good place to start.

I've been putting off joining the local astronomy club for a long time now because I just don't want another disappointment in my life. Based on my past experiences, I keep assuming that I'll be treated like a leper if I ever show up because I won't have a woman with me. Especially if people bring their chillllllllllllllllllllllllllllll-dren to the star parties. I might be a perv. Keep the children away from me! It won't be a place to talk shop and gear and cool and nerdy things with astronomy buffs, most of whom are always going to be guys. It'll be a place where social status is assessed and assigned by the women in the group, most (to be fair, not all) of whom who have little or no interest in the stars but want to control every aspect of their menfolks' lives.

What the heck, the way men are dropping out of society, the astro club may not have any men in it, either. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the only one.

If this thread gets too full of toxic masculinity for the Pub, mods please move it to Too Hot instead of sending it into the cornfield. Rant over.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    The men I know are doing just fine, enjoying life and doing the things they want to do, some are 'rough and tumble' guys, others not so much, there is plenty of room for both sides of that coin and from my observation the men I know & hang out with are just fine following the course they are most happy & comfortable with. I believe it is much easier to be the man you really feel you are these days than when I grew up back in the late 50's and 60's.

As for TV & other advertising the marketers would not be putting together the commercials and programs they d if they didn't sell, some things haven't changed an iota.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. WhattaGator

The only way to keep this thread from "getting too full of toxic masculinity" is perhaps to not bring it in the first place.
    Secondly.... don't ask for the Mods tomove the thread..... it was a Mod who STARTED it! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great post and I agree...the Baby Boomers were not the ideal parents.
    They were spoiled by the Greatest Generation and did what 'felt good'.
    And it really didn't help that Boomers turned divorce into an art form.
    It left their kids feeling anxious and depressed about their own lives.

This is why baby boomers are divorcing at a stunning rate

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I think there is a balance being lost. Previous generations of men lacked sensitivity and left the parenting to the wife.
    The current one is the other extreme. Men who can't change a tire or install a light in the hallway.

We need to be balanced and able to do both.

I argee about men in media though.

In every sitcom, the dad is the goofball.

Started years back with the likes of King of Queens, Raymond etc. (I love both of those shows FWIW).

I tell my two Teenage daughters (13 and 15), that I want anyone they date to be able to change a tire so that they are not stuck on the
    interstate with a flat. They laugh because they are both a little young, but in the next year or two they may find out I am serious. (I will also except any boy that is willing to let me teach him.)

But my oldest blew me away recently when she agreed saying she wants to date guys with a strong male influence that taught them stuff like that. :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    I just didn't want to see a good topic get taken down because it's a serious and potentially divisive topic. If I had noticed that a mod started it, I wouldn't have talked around you. Sorry for the diss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    The thing is, there really isn't anything new about women being portrayed on television as surrogate mothers for their emotionally challenged husbands. What has changed?

[​IMG]

19. Spurffelbow833

Jan 9, 2009
    One thing that I think has changed is that it is unthinkable to put the shoe on the other foot nowadays. You'll never see this dynamic today:

upload_2019-6-14_16-4-6.jpeg

20. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Best TV Dad EVER!!!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What, you mean "Father doesn't Know Best"?:(:mad: