Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Whattagators' Special & Favorite Recipes

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by g8orbill, Jan 23, 2016.

1. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Now, WHY wouldn't you just pay a visit to the "Special Recipes" Thread in the Pub??? Sorry it's a "free site" but it already has loads of recipes, and if there's something you might want, I'm a retired Certified Executive Chef out of Cornell AND The Culinary Institute of America, with flairs from Philly, Boston, New Orleans, the Carribean, and Italian, Western European, etc.

If you need a recipe, say for a soup, how about an Italian Crab and seafood Cioppino? Or How about an Irish Guiness Onion Soup? Lamb Stew?
    Lobster Bisque?, etc. etc.

I dunno.... maybe come pay a visit. If there's not something there, just ask, tell me how many ppeople it's for, and we'll just see!:cool:

Oh, By he way, That "Italian wedding" soup you just referred to is called "Straciatella" :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    if it's from Bern's

• Like Like x 2
  3. boomgator

boomgator VIP Member

Oct 17, 2012
    gulf breeze
    Kirby Smart loves Manchowder. Just sayin

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. WhattaGator

For a Steak Marinade that will knock your socks off, go to page 12 of the speciall recipes pinned at the top of the forum.
    Let me know how it sound,,,,,THEN, how it tastes!!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. Hornet09

Hornet09 VIP Member

Oct 2, 2015
    It’s so good and it only gets hot when you get heavy handed with the tiny chachere. I do love Italian wedding soup too lol. My mother in law makes it lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Gators11

Gators11 VIP Member

Nov 30, 2013
    May I attend your tailgate!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. WhattaGator

Welcome!! Feel free to browse the recipes above, or put in a request, and I'll fill it!

Just because we're placed in the "free" sites doesn't mean that we're not high-value, and ALL Gators! :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. WhattaGator

How about a Blue Crab Stew> towards the bottom of Page 8 in the recipes thread above.

9. WhattaGator

I see a couple calls for Straciatella.. (Italian Wedding Soup)... Here's my recipe

Ingredients

For the Meatballs
    8 Oz. Lean Ground Beef
    8 Oz. Ground Pork
    1/2 Cup Fresh Hearty White Bread Crumbs
    1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
    1 1/2 Tsp Minced Fresh Oregano (or 1/2 Tsp dries)
    1/2 Cup Finely Shredded Parmesan
    1 Large Egg
    Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    1 Tbsp Olive Oil

Soup...

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1 1/4 cups 1/4" cut Carrots
    1 1/4 Cups Diced Yellow Onion
    3/4 Cup 1/4" cut Celery
    4 Lg. Cloves Fresh Garlic, Minced
    63 Oz. Chicken Broth
    1 Cup Acini de Pepe pasta
    6 Oz. Fresh Escarole, Coarsely chopped
    Freshly Shredded Parmesan, for topping

Instructions;

For the meatballs;

Mix all ingredients( Except Olive Oil) into bown with 1 Tsp salt and 1/4 Tsp pepper. Gently toss all ingredients by hand to make sure mixture is fully mixed.
    Roll into tiny meatballs, (about 3/4" and set aside on large plate.
    Heat Olive Oil into Large nonstick skillet on Medium-High heat browned on two or three siand add half of the meatballs, stirring occasionally
    , until browned on two or three sides. Remove and place on plate with a paper towel on it. Reheat skillet and cook remaining meatballs
    the same way. NOTE Meatballs will not be fully cooked yet, but finish in the soup.

For the Soup...

While cooking the meatballs, Bring 1 Tbsp Olive Oil to heat in a large pot.
    Add Celery, Carrots and Onions and saute until veggies have softened (about 6-8 minutes) add Garlic and saute one minute longer.
    Pour in Chicken Broth, Bring to a rolling simmer, Salt and Pepper to taste
    Add Pasta, Meatballs, and Escarole.
    Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is done, and the meatballs are cooked, about 10 minutes
    Serve and top with Shredded Parmesan

Serve with a nice loaf of Italian bread.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WhattaGator

Aside from the crab stew, what other kind of stew did you have in mind??

Anyone else have any good recipes? In about a day or so, I'll put them at the end of the special recipes thread

11. COGatorman

COGatorman Gator with Altitude!

Jan 2, 2010
    Westminster, CO
    Cream of jalapeno soup from Rockyard Brewery Company's restaurant in Castle Rock, CO. It is delicious and, oh so bad for you at the same time!

Very secret recipe (the make it before most of the staff arrives to keep prying eyes out of the mix), but there is a pretty solid trial-and-error version online. I have made it and it is close, but nothing beats the real thing. Just had a reheated cup last night and it freezes well - but you have to reheat it gently or it can curdle a bit on you.

12. Gators11

Gators11 VIP Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I may have hit the goldmine in what was meant to be a little humorous and to pass time in the recruiting thread. My favorite dish is pasta with white clam sauce. The best I have had was at a little Italian restaurant in Chicago. I can’t remember the name, but I would love your recipe for a heavy garlic flavored and very meaty dish. White clam sauce. Thank you.

Edit: that’s a beautiful area by the way. The finger lakes where you became an Ivy man. You are very accomplished and nice to meet you.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Gators11

Gators11 VIP Member

Nov 30, 2013
    I love crawfish, that soup sounds good if they went light on ingredient. I used to work at fat Tuesday’s years ago in Orlando part time before getting into my career. I would have to go and pick them up fresh from the airport every Tuesday. The boil was good, about the right heat for me.

14. msd

msd Premium Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Atlanta
    She crab, light on the sherry.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tec68

tec68 Belle Glade Boy VIP Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    Pretty sure it counts but if not then my bad.

My Mother in Law makes the best Brunswick Stew! I usually take some home and freeze it and eat it another 2-3 times.

Wife also makes a great taco soup.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee FL
    My specialty that I also use for a base for a lot of stoups is tomato based blue crab stew.

17. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    New to this thread... I can barely boil water... but will be giving some of these ideas to my wonderful wife who is a good cook. Shout out to Whatta. Thanks for sharing!

18. enviroGator

enviroGator Premium Member

Apr 12, 2007
    I have an anniversary coming up... might be a good gift.

19. WhattaGator

That area IS most beautiful, and thankjs for the compliment. It took, (and even though I'm now mostly retired) and still takes a lot of hard work.

But, On to your request for Pasta with a heavy garlic, and meaty white clam sauce.

INGREDIENTS;

1 Lb Spaghetti ( I prefer this to Linguine because it will soak up more of the sauce., For a twist, you can also use Penne, as it might pick up small
    pieces of clam and garlic)
    3 Tbsp Butter
    4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    8 Lg Cloves Fresh Garlic, Smashed and minced
    2 Shallots, Minced
    1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
    2 Doz. Cherrystone Clams
    1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
    1 1/2 Cups Clam Juice
    2 lg, or 4 sm cans chopped clams
    1 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
    3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
    1 tsp Cornstarch
    1 Tsp Sea Salt
    1 Tsp White Pepper

DIRECTIONS;

In one large pot of salted water, add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil. bring to boil, and cook pasta , stirring often, until JUST "Al Dente" Drain in Colander.
    Meanwhile......

In 2nd large pot, over medium-high heat, add O;ive oil and butter.
    Add Shallots, Garlic and Red Pepper flakes and stir, JUST until garlic releases its aromatics (NOTE; You do NOT want to burn the garlic and make it bitter!, so as SOON as you smell it, immediately hit the next step)
    Add Clam Juice, Wine and Cherrystone clams, cover pot and stir occasionally
    Cook until clams open (about 8-9 minutes) remove clams and place on plate, discard any clams that didn't open (they're no good)
    Add chopped clams, Salt and Pepper to mixture, stirring often to bring to simmer.
    Once mixture is hot, slowly add a bit of cornstarch, stirring CONSTANTLY, to slightly thicken the sauce, so it's not watery.(Another note, start with only a pinch of the cornstarch, and watch how it goes.... you don't want garlic "paste", you only want to get it away from the watery stage)

Add Pasta to the Mixture and toss well, serve and top with cherrystone clams and Fresh Parsley.

Goes Great with Garlic Bread

Gator11..... Let me know what you think after you've made it!!!

20. Gators11

Gators11 VIP Member

Nov 30, 2013
    This looks delicious. I will let you know how it turns out for me. Thank you!