Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's Your Greatest Gator Moment?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CadGator, Jul 12, 2018.

1. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Graduating from Dental School.

From a football perspective that's a tough one. The Cock Block was special, the loudest I've ever heard the Swamp. Seeing the UCLA vs USC score at the 2006 SEC Championship game. Maybe Percy's 67 yard run that night. So many.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Hard to pick a clear winner after 38 seasons, so here is my top 5 in no particular order:

1. Goal line stand followed by 97 yrds Bell to Nattiel against the leghumpers.

2. '06 blocked FG to win against USCe to clear the way for the natty.

3. '08 win vs. OU to win the natty, and going down to the players family section for the trophy presentation.

4. '95 Ben Hanks house call TD in the SEC championship game.

5. '97 Johnson to Quezzie to set up the winning TD against FSU.

There could be many, many more, I picked the ones from games I was fortunate to attend with the exception of #5.

• Like Like x 3
  3. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I was at number 5 and that may be #2 for me. Lot of great "moments" in that game though. Definitely the best game at Florida Field I was ever at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Aside from two UF graduations, it has to be 52-20. After the FSU heartbreak, MI defeating OSU, and Tex defeating Nebraska, I felt there was a decent probability OSU could beat Jake the Snake and AZ St. With that, I bought tickets for the Sugarbowl for the girlfriend and I.
    We watched the Rosebowl with many Pride of the Sunshine friends/faculty. The sun came out, God smiled on the Gators, and the rest was history.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    He kicked the FG against Auburn, and I know because I was there!

My second greatest moment was Reaves to Alvarez.

• Like Like x 4
  6. tencz60

tencz60 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2010
    Ocala.Fl
    The Block in the Swamp against the Cocks .!! The State of Florida shook for 10 minutes straight .!! Go GATOR'S

• Like Like x 1
  7. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Ushering a home game as a Boyscout in 1980 and me and my buddies sneaking into the Gator dugout (on the field, like in baseball) during the game and my friend reaching into the "damaged equipment" box and pulling out a Chris Collinsworth jersey and stuffing it under his shirt. I think Chris was rookie of the year in 1981, Bengals made it to the Super Bowl but lost to the 49'ers (Montana's 1st Superbowl).

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R VIP Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    I wish I could find video of this play. I think it’s the most under rated Gator play of all time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I thought he was 2-2 against uga as a player?

10. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Only played against them three times as freshman weren't eligible then. Gators may have won in 1965, but I'll have to look it up to be certain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Spurrier vs Georgia as a player 1-2. Lost in 64 (14-7) and 66 (27-10)He won 14-10 in 65

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    The Catch! I was a senior in high school. Scalped tickets for that game and ended up sitting right in the middle of the UM student section. THE CATCH was right in front of us. One of the greatest days to be a Gator!

• Like Like x 1
  13. CadGator

CadGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    I'm looking! What about the "Vault"?

14. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I think there are so many great moments of actual football: Kerwin staggering into the endzone against Auburn, Wilbur destroying USC, the bomb against UGA in 84, the cock block, Spikes drilling Moreno, all the NCs, but the moment that really stands out to me wasn't a play, it was when all the flashbulbs were popping during Tebow's final few minutes in the Swamp. People in the stands truly realized that a special moment was occurring in front of their eyes and they were embracing that moment.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    [​IMG]

Couldn't find the video. I was in the south endzone, this was in the north. Hottest day in that crib.

• Like Like x 5
  16. RayGator

RayGator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    Damn, there are so many! How do I pick just one?!

• Like Like x 1
  17. WARRIORG8R

WARRIORG8R VIP Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Longwood, Florida
    Thanks, and while we’re at it, James Jones is way up there in my list of allotment favorites. The only place that film exists is in my mind, I guess.

18. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Great off-season topic.

I have been following the Gators since 1966, and "living and dying" with them since 1969. It is really hard to keep it to 10. So I listed 11. But with apologies to whipping Bama's butt 35-3 in 1991, Fee Bartley decapitating every Auburn skill position player for in 1990, Lawrence Wright's hits on Joey Kent in successive games (I believe 1994 and 1995), Hank Folberg's incredible TD catch and Lee McGriff's 2-pt. conversion to beat UGA in 1973, Larry Kennedy's interception return for a TD against Tennessee in 1991, Wuerffel-to-Reidel Anthony TD in the rain on the first series against Tennessee in 1996, Reidel's kickoff return against Auburn in 1996, Bell-to-Nattiel TD to whip fsu in a hurricane in 1986, James Jones' catch against scUM in 1982, etc., etc., etc., my 11 favorite memories are:

1) Terry Jackson breaking free for that long TD run to ice the 52-20 MNC game. I knew we had it then, and the obnoxious semis sitting around me at the game got up and stomped out, and we were blistering their ears as they left. They had been absolutely insufferable since an hour before kickoff.

2) The goal-line stand and Bell-to-Nattiel series of five plays against Georgia in 1984.

3) Percy's long run against Oklahoma in the 2008 MNC game.

4) Tebow to David Nelson TD in the 2006 MNC game against OSU. OSU was done after that.

5) The sheer, overwhelming joy that engulfed me when the clock ran out in Auburn in 1985. Furman Bisher called it the greatest football game in the history of the south. It is certainly the greatest football game I ever saw. There was no one defining play, though both bell TD passes to Ray McDonald were great plays. But I was so hoarse, but couldn't stop yelling, weeping hugging every Gator in sight.

6) Bell limping into the end zone to beat Auburn in 1986.

7) "Green is behind the defense!!" against fsu in 1997

8) Doering's got a touchdown!! Doering's got a touchdown!!

9) Emmitt's 217-yard game against Bama in 1987

10) Shane to Harrison Houston for a long TD against fsu in 1991.

11) The blocked punt for a TD, followed closely by the bomb to Mills against Bama in 1990.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I shared this a few times before but it fits here as well.

Auburn vs. Florida 1986
    My senior year at UF and Number 4 Auburn was coming to town. I got a second ticket and asked my dad to go with me. We were on the 40 about 2/3 the way up in the middle of the student section. Gators are down 17-0 in the 4th Quarter. Then the come back happened. I'll never forget the noise when Kerwin scored the 2 point go ahead conversion for the final score of Gators 18 Auburn 17. My ear drums did some weird things. It was like I was going back and forth between going deaf and then the loudest noise I've ever heard. I turned to my dad for a hug and jump on him but he had sat down to cover his ears. He was a WW2 Marine that fought on Pelilou Island but I saw a fear on his face I had never seen before as we were in the middle of pure bedlam. Then I realized even though he would rather have stayed home, he was just enjoying the opportunity to share one last Saturday at Florida Field with me, his son. Dad passed 6 years ago this month. This game was his last Gator football game at Florida Field. To this day I tear up when I stand and hear the Gator band play the National Anthem at Florida Field and remember my dad and the sacrifices he made for me, my family and this country. This is why I am proud to stand.

Side note, as a student with extra time between classes, i used to hangout on Wednesdays in the South Endzone to study in the fall. Most days an unknown kicker would come out to practice long field goals and kickoffs in the stadium. So I would head down and shag balls for him and we had some fun kicking it back and forth. Well you guessed it that kicker was named Robert McGinty. So yes I felt I had some little part helping the Gators win. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. gatordoc

gatordoc Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    I was in the south end zone as well. I believe this was the first game after it opened.

• Like Like x 1