Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's Up With A. Henderson, W. Wilson and D. Marks?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by tarponbro, Jul 6, 2019.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Nope, kids want to play for winners and in regards to playing time and our depth issues we offer that too. So.....

Or we could take it from our head coach about the number of positions he considers critical to success.

“There’s 88 starting positions on the football team. That’s an interesting way to look at it, right? There’s offense, defense, punt, punt return, kickoff, kickoff return, field goal, field goal block. There’s 88 starting spots, and we did lose a bunch of starters if you look at the 88 starting positions.” — Dan Mullen

Considering we have so many injuries, transfers, etc it would seem we offer everything you and I speak of.

2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Very good point, what do they have to show for it ? Nothing. We've proven over the last 30 years since spurrier was here that recruiting is only part of the puzzle for them.

COACHING is where it's at. We have proven over the years that when we have the superior Coaching ,particularly offensive minded coaching, we dominate the series. The former bulldawg himself muschamp helped UGA get a leg up by helping them seem relevant with 3 wins in a row, and then of course the recruiting bump came with a hyped 1st year HC in kirby which helped them stock pile talent. Now 3 years later they are still imitating mark richts years. Winning nothing with all those 5 stars.(maybe that's why 1 of those 5 stars came to us) 3 5 stars off the top of my head have left kirby and I'm sure many more talented kids. 5* Jacob eason left, 5* justin fields left, 5* brenton Cox left ) so it cant be the "what have you done lately winning streaks", so maybe it's a bunch of false promises made by the HC, or maybe they got bama style recruiting going on under the table or maybe it's something different altogether . Idk. But I do know things are not as bad as some here are already trying to spin it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    And for all this banter about Georgia, UGA is probably the 3rd most important game in regards to recruiting purposes go. 1a and 1b is miami and FSU, in which ever order you want. If we want to talk about taking back the state it starts with beating the other power teams ..... in the state. Much more impact on our recruiting base. UGA has its pickings from the state of Georgia which we do fairly well in but if we are gonna own the state 1st and foremost we have to whoop their asses. And for that I dont see anybody giving coach Mullen any credit for snapping the 5 game win streak the noles had on us with a emphatic 41-14 ass kicking. Up next for a ass kicking is scUM. You want recruiting bumps? Focus on those 2 first, if you want sec divisional titles , the focus would be UGA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Once we start being the top FL school option for the top FL kids, things will look different. We'll never lock down the borders as well as UGA can in Georgia, but it won't matter. Top Florida kids as the majority, continue to extend success into Georgia, and then be in it for top kids in other states to round it out.

It's just going to take at least one more strong season, or maybe two, to really have that up and running to the degree we all want to see.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Do they want to play for winners? Yes. But one game doesn't determine that criteria. You need a solid season, but a recruit almost never decides due to individual games, especially those closer to mid season.
    I have no idea how the remainder of your post relates to my comments

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's shane's new "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam". I'm hoping to see it in all posts.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Ehhh.....coaching didnt get Spurrier but so far at USCe though. Yes recruiting is only part of success but it's a BIG part of it.

Mark Richt and Kirby Smart's trajectory are different. Richt never competed in a natty title game and also never had to deal with an SEC that's as strong as it is now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gator_n_sc

Oct 8, 2013
    True, to an extent but spurrier didnt run the same exact fun n gun offense he did at florida either, and his offense is what took the league by storm. But then again, he did win the east once at USC while also beating us under meyer and beat bama while they were #1 in 2010.also whooped clemson 5 years in a row. Talent was definetly not their advantage in that success.

I also think the big recruiting hype that followed kirby to UGA had been tempered a bit. They are still recruiting well but the swoon of 5 stars they had like that class 2 years ago they had with like 6 5* is gone. They still pretty much have their pick of most the top kids in the state but that's the advantage of being the only big time program in state. As we win more games becoming more relevant and show we are now much less offensively inept kids will take notice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    ???? I was feeling you on the first part about recruiting, but not so much this.

Kirby has had about as cake walk SEC slate as you can have. McElwain, Butch, Champ, Gus and Coach O isn't what Richt faced most of the time.

SEC East other than UGA has been the essence of mediocre for Kirb's tenure. The quintessential one team division. In 3 seasons he's played 6 games against comparable SEC squads, and lost 5 of them.

The dude looks to be a solid coach, but he's shown nothing beyond what Richt did thus far and has benefited from really favorable SEC scheduling. Good coach, but far more myth than substance at this point- mainly because of a single playoff game (that didn't exist for Richt).

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Not much different in strength of sec then yo now in my opinion. It’s just Bama for now. It’s was national titles for nearly half the conference before. It’s certainly more top heavy now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    I say all of what i said to say this....if we get to the UGA game with no catastrophic injuries and our depth chart still intact, the UGA game is a 50/50 game.

Damn we're off topic lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, Henderson's gone, Wilson is delayed, and Marks is in, right? (Did that help any? :))

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I do wonder why we get no explanation whatsoever for Wilson

14. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I guess they just want to keep the details of the visa issue to themselves.

15. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    I doubt UF or the family is going to make an announcement providing an explanation of what's going. Perhaps one of the pay sites or someone will interview the family and share what they find but I suspect privacy issues prevent UF or Mullen from saying anything about it.

I recall last year around this time Gator Nation was in an uproar about no news coming out about Grimes and VJ's status, a lot of blame being cast on Mullen and UF for not "doing anything" and not "telling us what's going on". Same situation here, doubt we'll hear anything until it's resolved one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They have 3 5 stars and a large group of high 4 stars- 17 commits and a top 5 class. Hopefully the wheels come off but if they have a good season they cruise to a top 5 class.

My take on georgia under Richt is they only backed into the SECCG a few times, they never dominated the East. Under Smart it's different. They are recruiting better and are the dominant team in the East. I only remember them losing to West teams the past couple of seasons(LSU, Auburn, Alabama).

I am happy fsu appears to be recruiting a poor OL and DL class.

17. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    With UGA’s $2.6M+ and Bama’s $2.5M+ recruiting budgets they would have found a “legal” way to fund some Bahamian officials’ favorite “charities” in order to get their freshman OT on campus. This situation is more frustrating than a freshman not qualifying.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They may have funded a blockage

19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Even with this arbitrary cutoff, we are still talking about many years of the leather helmets, when Georgia regularly beat Florida. Those games from prior to the 60's have very little to make comparisons against the modern game of football. Outside of our NCAA probation woes, Georgia has had very little sway on UF in the modern era.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    An international college student has to return to their country of origin, go through a complicated approval process, and apply 5-6 months before expected enrollment. My guess is that UF recruiting operations team did not understand the international student visa process and was leaving it up to the kid to navigate. As such, the kid applied late and his student visa has not yet been approved. He has until next week to enroll for the Fall semester or is otherwise a Spring enrollee. Unless there is a problem where the kid attended HS in the US illegally and overstayed a prior VISA, the student visa will be approved within 6 months of applying. The international student is not allowed to enter the US until December 5, 2019, if attending college beginning January 4, 2020 (no more than 30 days before the semester starts). That is unless UF helps him file a special sports team related waiver. Again, I suspect UF admissions and recruiting did not work effectively together to help kid navigate the situation in a timely manner. The kid can’t get paperwork from his college of choice until they agree to admit him to their University. UF could have been waiting on final grades before giving that commitment.

• Informative Informative x 3