Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's Up With A. Henderson, W. Wilson and D. Marks?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by tarponbro, Jul 6, 2019.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Says he hasn't given up. If he had other plans he has no reason to be in Gainesville.

Losing a QB was big but not crucial as we might have two seasons of Felipe and a great backup in Emory. The CB loss was pretty significant so hopefully staff holds Avery Helm and finds one or two more.

2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are cherry picking the QB position to support the argument. I would agree that is a position where even garbage time snaps can be of value. The guy is touching the ball every snap and making decisions at game speed....so yes Emery added value. James Blackman started 12 games including at UF and was Independence Bowl MVP as a true freshman in 2017. So no, don't think his cameos last season as a redshirt made a lot of difference. But in general I agree a QB could attain quality snaps as a RS.
    IMO the majority of these redshirts are not getting all that much value in games. Griffin McDowell, Dante Lang, Gouraige, Langham, Copeland, Chatfield....pretty much limited to garbage time and meaningless plays vs outmatched opponents. The value of the snaps they played pales in comparison to the work they got in scrimmages both in the fall and the spring. I don't even think it's close.
    Interesting you raise baseball, because I think that supports my argument even more. Now you're analogy of a guy taking BP is not a good one, BP is not live action. But I asked a half dozen college baseball players if freshman/scrubs got better work entering a game in late innings during garbage time vs the inter-squad scrimmages they regularly play. Scrimmages was the slam dunk answer, none felt it was even close.
    Is playing garbage time better than nothing? Of course. Can that 4 game window allow a guy to get some real quality snaps and gain value? Of course. But from what I see the majority are not getting a lot of value, and nothing close to what they will gain during scrimmages and spring ball.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You call it cherry picking, I say it’s a good example of using the redshirt rule for development.

Baseball-my thoughts come from coaching, family playing, feedback from kids I’ve coached say game at bats better because “it counts”. College athletes all have talent. As you know D-2 kids throw 92 also and D-2 kids have filthy sliders. Scrimmages are only better due to a kid getting an extra at bat or two. Not nearly the same pressure as practice.

4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, you are picking one position out of 2 dozen spots on the field....so it pretty much is cherry picking.
    I won't hijack the thread into the baseball stuff except to point out that those filthy slider guys aren't throwing in garbage time and there isn't much pressure or crowd presence. That's why it's called garbage time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Legend

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Guess that sorta depends on the level or intensity of those scrimmages. There’s some years when Pete was at usc and the last hoorah of um where comp in practice was paramount

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    My opinion has always been that you play how you practice . What we see on the field is the result of many hours of drilling and repetition.QB more than any other position has the “when the lights come on” affect. Game experience is the final step but countless hours of practice is far more important. That is most true on the oline. Talent is this group vs working as a unit isn’t as important as cohesiveness. I’d rather have a bunch of 3-4 stars that have worked together for years than the all star oline that just relies on talent alone. Some of the better lines in the nfl aren’t the most talented ones. They are smart and well coached. They don’t have to always physically beat the man in front of them that is usually physically superior. They just have to gain an edge for a spilt second. The practice field for a couple years before playing meaningful minutes is where it at. You can throw an edge rusher, corner, wr, or rb out there as a freshman because they can rely on talent and be coached around. QBs and oline not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Im ASSUMING Marks and Hendi are good to go....

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. mdfgator

mdfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    San Francisco
    Jones had major character issues in high school. He was a bad take.

9. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    In your opinion, was this well known while he was in HS?
    Should the coaches have known this, or could they have known this?

The reason I ask: Sometimes coaches are lambasted for not knowing the future.
    Like Meyer is pilloried for not knowing that Joiner would commit murder 10 years after he played. That's completely unfair.

But certainly coaches SHOULD do their homework on recruits. This is a big deal.

So if they should have known something, or if others knew it, then I'm disappointed in them.

10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Did he? If so, we didn’t hear about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. ncg8or

ncg8or All American

May 28, 2007
    I recall Jones was ejected from a HS game for fighting, but that's all I recall as far as any problems he had. What I most remember about his recruitment was that his dad is a pastor and is on the city council, so this isn't a kid that grew up without good male role models.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    B
    eing a pastor doesn’t in any way guarantee being a good person. It should but it just doesnt

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. roflcopter

roflcopter All American

Dec 1, 2011
    West Virginia
    I was ejected from high school game my junior year for retaliating against a dirty player. Refs kept letting a TE from our rival team cut guys at the knees that were engaged with another blocker. He did it like 3 or 4 times, no call. Luckily nobody got hurt. I was playing FS and was playing close to the line when I saw him try to do it again. Before the play was over I grabbed a fist full of face mask from the side and yanked his helmet sideways. Where the head goes, the body follows. He went to the ground as one of our DL pancaked him. 15 yds and I was ejected. I remember worrying my coach was going to light me up but he patted my shoulder and smiled at me as I passed him heading for the locker room.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007

Arjei was already a known possible grades problem though, so it wasn't anything we didn't expect.

15. GameTime1

GameTime1 All American

Jul 27, 2015
    I agree with the point of your post. But meyer wasnt pilloried about joiner imo.

16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    We've had some good luck with pastor's sons though. Well, 2 out of 4 ain't too bad (Tim, Danny, Cam, Jalon). I'm sure I'm missing a few.

17. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I've seen a few comments other places, but not here. Esp. after the arrest was made.
    Lots of comments about A Hern though.

18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You call it garbage time. College sliders are usually ( not always) college sliders and those guys are at the college level for a reason. Seen way too many scrimmages where it was way too lax.

Hijack away, it least it is a sport and not cars or college admissions we are talking about.

19. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Without knowing the circumstances behind the fight, I would be unwilling to characterize that as bad behavior.

20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Wasn't Spurrier?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1