Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

What's the next evolution in college football offense/defense?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GratorGator, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 VIP Member

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    On defense I'd start with 6 of these freaks
    upload_2020-1-18_1-9-23.jpeg
    and then add 5 of these freaks
    upload_2020-1-18_1-10-17.jpeg
    that should just about cover any offense you want to dream up.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sewanee 1899:
    Overall record 12-0, but near midseason, they hopped a train and beat FIVE teams (Texas, Texas A&M, Tulane, LSU, and Ole Miss) in SIX days, not allowing a single point against them.
    And on the seventh day they rested.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    And uninvited.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    My uncle actually has a trophy/plaque that was awarded to team with that quote

• Like Like x 1
  5. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Awww, it's so cute that you didn't know the RPO was invented in the 1940's.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Smaller more powerful built tailbacks and the H-back will come back in force.

DTQB’s will all bit eliminate the standard pocket passer.

Kickoffs will fade away.

Smaller more comfortable, immersive stadiums.

7. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm not picking on you because I'm definitely in the minority, here... but I just disagree that the casual fans just want high scoring games...

Perhaps we're biased, but how many here think the Big 12 is the conference that is the most fun to watch? To me, I think the best conferences to watch are the Big 10 and the SEC, and they're still pro-defensive conferences, at least relatively speaking...

I think what people want is a game that is focused on speed, spacing, making people miss, and explosive plays... not necessarily "offense." Some of that can come from returns, blocked kicks/punts, sacks, tackles for (big) loss, and turnovers.

EDIT: People also want big hits/blocks, but we can't have too many of those, anymore... #nofunleague

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Close to something Mike Bobo has hinted at for SC. Drop back QB Ryan Hilinski, and dual threat QB Dakereon Joyner on the field at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Hmm....

That sounds like something that Mullen could do much better.....

Drop back Trask, and have your dual-threat QB Emory Jones in at the same time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Folks have mentioned the 3-1-7, I definitely think the next shift is in LBs, they will have to be smaller and faster to cover better and get to the QB faster on blitzes. Net effect is the same whatever you call it, more speed on defense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UrbanGator

UrbanGator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Maitland, Florida
    I don’t disagree, mine was an over simplifications. But I do stand by the argument that the average fan would rather see a sloppily executed 35-31 score than a finely played 13-10 slugfest. I’m no it the average fan either, I like great defensive battles, if that ends up being a 6-3 game, I’m happy

12. 3rdgengator

3rdgengator Sophomore

Dec 21, 2016
    The way Ginger Bammer (McElroy) talks, you'd think the RPO was just invented and that he is being paid to say "RPO" 300 times per broadcast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    Agree...watch competitive 7-7 flag football and you’ll see some of that stuff leak into CFB