Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

What's in your closet?

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, Oct 18, 2019.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Trucker and I share a large closet. It's roughly 11 x 13, the size of a small bedroom, with a window and lots of built in shelves. But it has fewer bars for hanging clothes than the 2 closets we had in our bedroom in our former home. When we moved our clothes into this new 'large closet' I found I either had to pare down my wardrobe or hang some things in the guest room closet.

It was time to get rid of a lot of clothing I had held on to in the hope of once again fitting into it as there has been weight gain over the years. Out went a good 40% that was hopelessly out of date, way too small, or overly worn garments held onto only out of favoritism. Trucker was more disciplined and tougher on himself. Before the move he removed a good 50% of his entire wardrobe, donating every business suit and most of his ties. He kept his Jerry Garcia ties, his M C Escher ties, and one Grinch tie. Sadly, he donated his too small Christmas mistletoe decorated boxers. He held on to a few dress shirts, dress slacks, and 2 sport jackets.

His diminished wardrobe meant he had space on the 2 rods on his side of the closet as his clothes only occupied one and a half of the space. Taking advantage I quickly hung shirts on the vacant half. He grumbled about the encroachment but I was quick to remind him his Burberry trench coat and bathrobe hung from the high bar on my side of the closet.

I don't know what is the oldest thing he currently owns but I remember a favorite pair of pants he purchased in the 70's and wore for more than 30 years. He told me the pants were the most comfortable pair he owned and he literally wore them out. Pockets and waistband were threadbare. I mended seams and darned the threadbare pocket where he carried his wallet more times than I can remember. They looked their age. Before the last time I mended the pants - a split seam - I told him I would never do it again. If those pants needed a button or a repair he would have to do it himself. He wore them a few more times, lost a button and out went the pants.

I held onto a few solid color skirts, pants, and jackets that won't go out of style. Some are more than 25 years old. The oldest thing in my closet however, is a 35 year old bathrobe. I like the color.

What's the oldest thing you wear or still own for sentimental reasons? Do you have superstitions attached to any piece of clothing or a favorite game day shirt or hat? Do you hold onto things you have outgrown? What's in your closet?

2. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    Bought a leather belt when I was 16. Still wear it daily. Oil it 3 times a year or so.

Pair of Jean's I've had for 12 years. Finally wore the knees out too much to be saved.

A couple of hats that I've kept since high school....25 years ago.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You suck :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Our community had very few modern homes for sale when we were in the market six years ago. Ended up with a nice location, great yard, picture windows looking down on the deer/bears/fox/etc. but no walk-ins. One day we will either build them in or find a newer home. Either way, the man closet will look something like . . .
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    What's on your hats? Assuming they're baseball style hats, are they close fitted or have snaps or buckles on the back side? They could be tams or fedoras for all I know.

How long ago were you 16? :ninja3:
    :ninja2:

• Like Like x 1
  6. JaxLizard

JaxLizard Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Fleming Island
    I still have my high school varsity letter jacket from 1981. It fits quite well .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Don't forget to allow space for a cooler

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Do you still wear it occasionally?

9. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    1. Light blue UF hat that is shredded at this point. Ball cap. No snaps, buckle style in the back to tighten
    2. American flag hat that is not longer really ted white or blue. Trucker style with snaps.

Somewhere between 35 and 45 years ago I was a corky, arrogant 16 year old. That's belt has been with me for many a date, my marriage, my kid's birth, travels around the world, my grandfathers' deaths.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    At our house we share 2 closets, one for regular wear the other for old stuff, winter garb and miscellaneous stuff we keep because. My 1963 Clermont HS Letter Jacket is in the later with my UF Jacket from 1984 (wore it to the Stadium to greet the team returning from UK.
    My stuff is pretty simple, 2 pair of LL Bean Khakis, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 Lands End Long sleeved dress blue shirts reserved pretty much for weddings, worn twice this year I keep my ties from when it was routine to wear Brooks Brothers suits etc, the ties include 4 or 5 Gator ties and a paisley or 2 and a tie with street cars on it from the 1984 Democratic Convention in San Fran, along with a Brooks Bros Navy blazer I kept when I gave away my suits a while back. The rest is about 20 Gator T Shirts and 18 Gator pullovers/golf style shirts, many older than the kids I watch, several over 20 years old and support and 5 long sleeve T Shirts all Gator. I Have 4 pair of Weejuns, all ranging in age from 4 years to more than 12. Most of my 10 or so Gator caps sit either on our Hall trees or on top of my armoire in my bedroom. I keep my commemorative/championship Gator Ts in my dresser bottom drawer, I hope one day to go to my grandkids.

reading this over it sounds like a diary entry or a sketch of my life :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Nice inventory. There are items in my wardrobe that have pleasant associations with happy events. And there are recollections of some things I got rid of because I was wearing them when something bad or unpleasant happened. The negative association was too strong.

Weejuns, how I remember them. Didn't know they were still being made. I also wore the Spalding saddle shoe with knee high socks in high school. Remember them? They had a pink rubber sole.

[​IMG]

And culottes, wrap around skirts, and Madras shirts and shorts. Soon after graduated to tie dye and hand made sandals.

Trucker once washed a new mostly red madras shirt with his white tee shirts and underwear at Gator Groomer (remember that place?). Pretty in Pink. :p

12. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Lots of memories associated with that belt. High quality to have lasted that long. What makes it special for you? Width, type of leather or design, the buckle?

• Like Like x 1
  13. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce GC Legend

Nov 21, 2018
    Simplicity.
    No idea who made it.
    Simple silver buckle.
    2 inch wide
    High quality leather that I take care of.
    Its....familiar, comfortable, reliable. Love it.

14. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My closet? Nothing,

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I get them at a Bass Outlet store we always called them Weejuns but the company was always Bass they do lots of better quality leather stuff, had a wonderfully practical bass satchel, notebook and portfolio back when I was roaming the halls in Tallahassee with other teacher advocate lobbyists trying to convince legislators teachers/education needed serious funding and that it was smart to protect the environment, sadly and clearly we were not successful on either issue

16. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I truly did love those pants. Lacuna, out of kindness, didn't mention the atrocious red/white/purple polyester doubleknits I also wore . Our younguns kept asking me to ditch them and making "how many polys had to die to make those?" comments. Ultimately I withered under the scorn and they were gone. I still have virtually all my Racing With Jesus Ministries jackets regardless of whether they fit, in remembrance of my 25 year major involvement with the ministry and the loss of our leader far too early at age 54 from pancreatic cancer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Other than a few skeletons, not much ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    the neighbors yappy dog, an old girlfriend or scorned me, the usual stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My side piece when the wife comes home early. :ninja::devil::D

20. ElimiGator

ElimiGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Jax
    We have a fall-in closet. Contents unknown, sort of.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1