Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Trying my hand inside away from the heat tonight—chicken casserole dish with rice, cream of mushroom and cream of broccoli soup, Everglades seasoning and coarse black pepper—

Sides of fresh zipper peas with fresh pod okra on top, and lightly steamed fresh broccoli—

The ice cold longnecks will accompany me throughout watering Ms. Jan’s trees, plants, and hanging baskets late this afternoon—

• Like Like x 1
  2. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight making penne pasta with a creamy sauce with sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, heavy cream, garlic, red pepper flakes, and fresh basil. And shrimp. Not actually an Italian dish, but mighty tasty. Cobbling together an arugula, tomato, and English cuke salad to go with it.

Tomorrow I am smoking a 5.5 lb pork shoulder for pulled pork. Also making Carolina vinegar slaw for topping the sandwiches.

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The universal food binding ingredient.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    At 9 hours plus on a 5.5 lb pork shoulder at 250 F and while it is over the plateau temp it is still too low at around 180 F. I could take it off, wrap, and the chop what does not shred and it would be great but I want to shred it all.

So at least another half hour (and probably more like a whole hour for ten hours total) and then enough rest time to cool down enough to shred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ve got chicken halves on the grill to BBQ—coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning with Pat’s Ho-made sauce on the last two turns—baked potatoes along beside—

Fresh yellow squash and vidalia onion and fresh steamed green cabbage—

The back porch Yeti is reloaded and ready to go—

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is some clean out the fridge duty, but there was some cooking today. I made some pesto with home grown basil. I did not have any pine nuts or walnuts but I had some shelled pistachios. While not traditional, pistachios make a really good pesto. I will use this for roasting a chicken some time this week where I push the pesto under the skin before cooking.

I am also drying some chilies. Last fall my wife and I went out to New Mexico for her birthday and we went to Chimayo. Chimayo is a sacred place in both the indigenous faiths and Catholics, but it is really well known in culinary circles for the amazing peppers that grow there. They are not famous for being super hot, but are famous for having a sublime flavor. We lucked out to find a pepper on the ground that we brought home that I saved for seed and I am growing them here. It will not be the same, but it will be as close as I can grow to the real deal. I am drying six of them as I type.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I really need to step up my grilling game. I only start any drinking when it is almost done and no decisions or knife work have to be done.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I get what you’re saying and don’t argue your point, but I crack open my first col’beer when I strike charcoal—it just seems to balance everything out....

The exception of course is when I’m putting Boston Butts on at 4:00am—black coffee starter then—;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Often that is just after I wake up in the morning and that is too early in the day for me.

Added in edit: No Irish coffee at 4 am?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    No, when I’ve got a 4:00am kickoff I generally stick with Folgers Breakfast Blend—black.....

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Roasting a chicken with the pesto rub tonight. As long as I am roasting a chicken I am also roasting carrots.

Still deciding which one to make: rice, cous-cous, pasta, or potatoes in some form as the last element.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    E-Z
    P-Z
    Tonight—
    Grilling hamburger steaks to go with the leftover vegetables from last night, yep, they were that good—

The ice cold longnecks have their time and place in the afternoon/evening activities—

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The current money pit/rental property is getting prepped for a drywood termite tenting on Friday. I was able to trim all of the tree limbs close to the roof and siding today with my manual pole saw. I thought that I might have to rent a power version, but I got it done without that.

Just a little more close to the ground trimming to do.

Also getting close to "fixing" a window. The rental house has double hung windows all around and originally 6 light over 6 light. Two of the three windows to the exterior from the living room had been converted to 6 light over one light because one renter had an insane dog that jumped through two windows and it was cheaper to turn it into a single pane of glass than to try and replicate the mullions and mutions to return it to a six light sash.

I am converting the third window in the living room to 6 over one so that it has some parity when seen from the outside. It is almost done. I should be able to get glass tomorrow and glaze it in. I know that I am an ex-college prof, but I know how to glaze a window properly. I also know how to grout tile and other things.

Than was an elaborate lead-in to explain why I am having a second martini whilst cooking.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^^
    Renters—2nd Martinis—

We get it Lurk!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Half shank portion ham on the Egg over cherrywood smoke today—bi-color cob corn when it’s time—fresh pot of green beans and new potatoes going inside—

The ice cold longnecks are doing their best to stay front row!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Enjoyed catching up on everyone's culinary endeavours - and what-not. I love this thread!

Been pretty busy with a lot of things myself so nothing to write home about in the dining department. Tonight for example it will be burgers and onion rings....lol.

Yesterday it was hot dogs.

The good news is I'm consuming provisions on hand already and it's so nice not to have the fridge and freezer so packed.

I'm sure you have noticed the slight dip in temps outside. This morning in particular here was down right comfortable to work in. Worked for 5 hours and then knocked off for the day but got a lot done and feeling good about doing more as we move further into the cool season.

I've been working on getting my old '93 Trek 2100 back in action. Last time it was ridden was probably 10 years ago at least. I aired up the tires and they've remained hard now for about 4 days! It's really not in too bad of shape but I want to do as much as I can to clean up some of the pitting on the components. I used tri-flo lube tonight on all the spoke nipples. I have a new chain also to put her the old girl. The old clipless spd shimano pedals (the purple and white ones) have some corrosion on them too but look like they will still work. I will get my shoes out tonight and see if they still fit! It really feels great doing this - like getting to know an old friend again! Perfect timing too with the weather change. :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Those chuck burgers last night were awesome!

Tonight it's back to my old friend......the San Fransisco treat!

Still warm outside.....gotta get in the water tonight before dark for an evening go-out.....

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Taking the evening off, sort of—leftover green beans and new potatoes, fresh steamed green cabbage, and a box of Popeye’s fried chicken—

Our interior contractor is finally ready to get started on our 2 rooms that have been unlivable since Hurricane Michael—he gets started Monday, so we are busy emptying out those rooms for demolition and rebuild—

The new back porch has really been a pleasant place to wind down our days from each day’s efforts—the ice cold longnecks make it even mo’better—;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since I had half of a head of cabbage left over from the weekend making Carolina slaw for pulled pork sandwiches I am making caramelized cabbage with anchovies, sage, and breadcrumbs with penne for dinner.

It is not exactly Italian cuisine, but my northern Italian BIL (a really great cook) has given it his stamp of approval. To give an exact quote to my younger sister after he tasted it: "We need to visit Florida more often."

Mine is a twist and a tweak on a NY Times recipe. What they had was good, but I knew how to ramp it up a bit. Number one thing wrong in the NY Times recipe is the time to caramelize cabbage. It takes even longer than to caramelize onions and that is also reported as wrong in most recipes. To do it right takes about 45 minutes and not 15. Julia Child was supposed to teach us how to cook and she had it right.

Even the good ole boys that smoke meat know that good food is not rushed.

• Winner Winner x 2