Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    At least there was no basil in the ratatouille.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Ha...that show is a classic! I think it used to come on weekend nights because I remember watching it on nights I was either not going out - but wondering if or why I wasn't - or had already been out and came home alone - but either way - this show always provided entertainment on an otherwise single guy's vanilla evening.

3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just finished a small sirloin steak while watching "Ulee's Gold" from 1997 on TCM.

I remember the buzz about it when it first came out. I was living in Lehigh Acres then, so that was a while back. Remarkable movie - so well done on many levels.

IMHO, the best Peter Fonda movie too.

I forgot to mention I was at Publix on Saturday morning and when I was loading my provisions into my truck there was a mild fender bender right in front of my truck - that is to say the lady parked in the space in front of me - she was backing up and another lady started backing up too only she was in the driving lane so her left rear corner rammed into the first lady's right rear corner. Not surprising the way some people are in a big hurry and do not double-check all around before they move their vehicles. Inside I wanted to get a bag of chips or something for the games and of course all the snacks are on the same aisle as the wine and those wine people are terrible about blocking and clogging up the dang aisle.

I never really liked Publix anyway. The shoppers at Winn Dixie seem to be much more civilised - plus they don't act like a bunch of cows wandering aimlessly up and down the aisles.

The bright spot was the older dude cashier saw my Gators cap and we had a brief chat about the game later that day. And the young attractive bag girl complimented me on my cap.

What a game, huh? Life is good in Gator Nation. :alligator::emoji_beers:

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Love the movie, but it made tupelo honey a lot more expensive. I used to get really good tupelo honey cheap from students I knew that lived around Wee-Wa. Sometimes for free. And it was the kind of tupelo honey you can't buy, but have to know somebody to get.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is BLTs for dinner. I have not eaten one in decades.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife bought some on-sale NY strip steaks over the weekend and she is asking for something else to be cooked for dinner every night since. I don't have the heart to tell her that they were on sale because they were sitting out too long and needed to be cooked ASAP if you want them rare or medium rare.

In a few days I will cook them medium and apologize.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

That's my favorite lunch after a "big day" the day before--settles your stomach right out--

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I've got 1" thick center cut pork chops on the grill--yep, coarse black pepper, Everglades Seasoning and their mopping sauce on the last two turns--(When I finish this bottle of Mopping Sauce I've got a special return appearance from an old favorite Thanks to my friend @Bazza)--

Sides tonight will be fresh yellow squash & vidalia onion stewed with fresh creams 40's and some fresh pod okra laid on top--

The ice cold longnecks are in play as the day wears on--yardwork, watering plants and trees, as weel as Ms. Jan's hanging baskets--

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Retirement is great that we can sleep in for lunch. ;^)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Now that you mention it - I do remember the overnight craze for tupelo honey after that movie came out.

But - this just in! Check out my buddy Sonny Yambor's website (Sunsplash Nursery) who is also in the honey business here and has some fine and unique products:

Our beekeepers harvest 3 times a year: spring, summer, and fall. We produce Wildflower, Orange Blossom, Saw Palmetto, Palm, Black Mangrove, and Brazilian Pepper honey. Our award-winning monofloral Black Mangrove honey is awesomely good and unique. It is unlike any honey you have ever tasted. We are the only mass producers of this newly rediscovered source that may be the best honey that has ever touched your lips!

About their Mangrove Honey:
    Beekeepers | New Smyrna Beach, FL - Sun Splash Nursery

Oh man.......:emoji_yum:

I bought two of them yesterday and had one last night and the other about an hour ago. Kept it simple....salt and pepper seasoning only....yum!

Sleep is like the eighth wonder of the world, isn't it? I just replaced the 3 cushion set up on my couch with a single piece of 5" foam (72" l x 24" w) and aside from no more cushion shifting which always drove me crazy....laying down on the sucker is like floating on a cloud! I'm not quite retired yet but at least have shrunken the old hamster wheel enough that I can take mondo naps when the mood strikes! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m grilling hamburger steaks—we’ve got enough squash and cream 40’s leftover from last night we’re gonna sit down with them again tonight—

Cutting grass and trimming hedges today so the ice cold longnecks will be greatly appreciated this afternoon/evening—

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Going to the Lady Gator volleyball match tonight vs FSU, so it will be something simple afterwards. Probably use some of the pesto I made over tortellini.

Tomorrow my Thermapen should arrive. I have used many different "instant" read thermometers before and found them all lacking so I decided to get the best one. I trust Cooks Illustrated reviews and this is what they recommend and what they use on their show: America's Test Kitchen.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just because you are retired doesn't mean you stop working.

Enjoy your brews, but rehydrate first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just placed a re-order from Chewy for my girls:

This is the Lamb-Rice "senior" blend (they are both ~14 y/o). They LOVE it and it's kept them VERY healthy for the past few years. 1/2 cup each twice daily.

$45.10 to my door (30 lb. bag). A bag lasts about 2 months.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Hey hey.......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I picked up provisions for Mom mid-morning from Walmart and met a cute Humana rep sitting at the table they use in front. I simply wanted a little clarification regarding dental benefits and we ended up yakking for about 1/2 hour.

While back in the snack department I spied a Hanover rep and asked for his input on which Hanover pretzel product he liked. He steered me toward the old time regular size pretzels so that's what I got. They are pretty good - I just scarfed a few. ;)

And I did pick up a cheeseburger and small fries for Mom on the way to her place. She said "I haven't had a cheeseburger in a looog time."

Back home now after some other work-related items. Thunder upstairs so we may get a shower.

That Humana rep was Greek and she said authentic Greek salads do not contain lettuce...something I did not know. She said she cooks Greek so tries not to eat anything from restaurants, which I thought was cool. I did pass along the veggie pizza recommendation for Manny's over here on the beachside, which she did appreciate.

That's about it for now. Go get yourself a cheeseburger!

• Like Like x 1
  17. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Things you didn't know you didn't know. That is an interesting bit of trivia.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilling some 2 inch thick NY strip steaks tonight. Putting the Thermapen to the test!

Also have a potato and fennel gratin in the oven.

My wife is making some other things because one of our party is a vegetarian. Her husband is most definitely a carnivore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The test was passed with flying colors.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Billy Goat Tavern.

I have been there a few times way back in the day even though it was more of a Northside thing. If the SNL folks from Chicago were from the Southside they would have done a riff on Dox, an awesome diner on Pershing Road on the Southside that is no longer there. They made an incredible Italian beef sandwich.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1