Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    TMI!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Still working on my freezer evac so Tamales again tonight.

I've always been a Salsa Verde nut and really like this salsa......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be fresh catfish fillets fried, cheese grits, hush puppies, and fresh Caesar salad for our “kickoff” supper—

The ice cold longnecks will have tailGatored themselves into a front row seat for the game—

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight will be clean out the fridge.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Ahhh, a staple of southern living......

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Wife is still in Back in the USA mode. Cheeseburgers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    We had a showcase yesterday so we didnt get home until about 6PM. I dont know what it actually feels like on the surface of the sun - but the field yesterday had to be close. It was brutal. We were all pretty drained when we got home but the boys wanted some venison burgers, bacon wrapped backstrap, and fries. I wasnt able to soak the backstrap in Dr Pepper like I usually do but it turned out OK. Its much better though when soaked in DP for 5-6 hours.

We had a good night with just the 4 of us watching the game. Doesnt happen often.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    After seven hours of painting (second coated the woodwork: wide baseboards, two doorways, two LARGE openings, and picture rail. Also cut in and rolled a second coat on the 10' high walls) I am now enjoying an adult beverage or should I say beverages. In a bit I will get ready to grill some really thick NY strip steaks. They are about 2.5" thick and lucky for me everybody likes medium rare and nobody wants to to make theirs well done as that should be a crime. Not a high crime nor a misdemeanor, but a crime nevertheless.

There are tricks to getting the middle medium rare without burning the outside to a cinder on thick steaks. I am thinking that these are thick enough that I should do a reverse sear, this is sear at the end instead of searing at the beginning. Actually this method is easier on a kamado style grill as it is easy to ramp the temps up, but it takes forever to to lower temps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Cleaning out one of my crisper bins....had 6 yellow potatoes left so they are on the boil for mashed potatoes. That's all I got. o_O

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Try making this:

Guacamole Taquero: Taco-Shop Guacamole

It is really good.

I make it a lot. Usually when I am making carnitas.

Epazote does not taste like cilantro. I prefer the epazote version, but it is still very good with cilantro. Finding epazote might be hard. I have a source in Gainesville.

And use serrano peppers instead of jalapenos. It is a little hotter, but a much brighter flavor. And serranos are more uniform in their heat. Some jalapenos lack heat while some pack some punch. You never know. Serranos are almost always the same so you know what you are getting.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be both grilling and cleaning out the refrigerator—

I’ve got grilled hamburger steaks (out of venison burger) on the charcoal grill—I’ll have leftover cream 40’s & butter beans (pod okra on top) and leftover homemade Mac & Cheese—

The ice cold longnecks have been especially enjoyable the last few days on our newly completed and enlarged back porch—Got a pretty good afternoon shower to knock the heat down some today—

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Simple tacos tonight.

When working at my rental house I have to wonder why the cover plates for both bathtubs were removed. 3 of 4 screws were snapped off so it will be a royal pain to replace them. I hope that PB blaster works its magic, but one is snapped off inside the thread. That will be a drill job.

Last time I had to totally fix up a rental I wondered why all the aerator screens on the faucets were missing until it was suggested to me that they needed new bong screens. That made sense. All the screens on the house were new and fiberglass and not metal.

Another time I wondered why a door was taken off its hinges and the hardware removed. Later I found out that it was used as a base for a ping-pong table.

I can't figure out why in the world they needed the overflow cover plates.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Without question, I tip my cap to you—To rent the number of properties you do, you have to have the patience of a Saint....

We rented a property one time—I can’t really say that I wanted to kill them, but snatching them through the vent window of a ‘64 Impala SS 2-door hardtop would have greatly relieved the aggravations...;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Justifiable homicide?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Absolutely!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Good to see I'm not the only one doing a fridge/freezer purge.

Nothing worse than a disorganized and cluttered fridge!

Feels good to restore order! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today brings cutting the grass and weed-eater duties—

The reward will be a grill full of wings with a cold tray—

The Yeti is restocked and iced and waiting on it’s part of the activities to pitch in—

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I did that yesterday at one of my rental properties with a HUGE yard for the middle of town (3/5 acre) and lots of things to mow around. My pedometer on my phone clocks in with over 5 miles when I mow that yard.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Lurk -
    You took me down memory lane with the sink screens. Id venture a guess that 99% of all the screens in my houses/apartments before I got married were removed for the purpose you correctly alluded to. LOL. AHHHH the good ole days!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had to drill out all three snapped off screws. The one that I thought would be a pain was easy. The other two I had to dremel off flush and then drill into a blind hole. Lucky for me I already had a 1/4 x 20 tap to run new threads.

Later today I wanted to listen to tunes. And in one speaker (I have a pair of B&W DM7's that I got for cost from a stereo store that was closing one of their locations) the tweeter fuse was blown and the internal wiring was loose somewhere. By a miracle Ace Hardware had the right fuse (500 mA, 20mm x 5 mm). Took the passive radiator off and removed a lot of foam sheets to get to the wiring and tightened it up. It was a loose nut on the back of a female 4 mm DIN plug. I guess after over 35 years the nut was allowed to loosen up.

Time to listen to the B side of Traffic's Mr Fantasy. My wife bought me the new boxed set of their studio LPs on heavy vinyl and really mastered well.

Sorry that this is more "What are you fixing?" instead of "What's cooking?"

• Like Like x 1