Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Question for the brain trust.........may seen like dumb questions but always interested in how others are doing things.

How do you salt and pepper?

What kind(s) of salt and pepper and what is your delivery system?

Pepper mill? Salt mill?

Thanks for your input!

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Bazza—

For us at our age about 3 years ago we went to the Morton’s 50% less sodium salt for most of our usage. I do reserve the right to use coarse sea salt on grilled/smoked meats. What I use comes in a cylinder shaker. I use both a restaurant style coarse black pepper in a cylinder shaker as well as a pepper mill.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I use fine Kosher salt, coarse Kosher salt, Lite salt (lower sodium), and coarse sea salt depending on what I am cooking. I eat enough seafood that I don't need the iodine from iodized salt, hence I use a lot of Kosher salt instead.

Black pepper is always freshly ground. If I only need a little I use a pepper mill. If I need a lot I use an electric coffee grinder that I use as a spice grinder.

4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks for your replies and useful info 74 and Lurk....much appreciated!

I had thought about getting a set of those powered grinders but just can't seem to justify it enough to pull the trigger. Part of the fun of cooking is just doing all the work involved, if that makes any sense. And how much work is applying salt and pepper? ;)

I like the idea of the lower sodium as well as the Kosher salt.

Good stuff as always here!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A cheap coffee grinder from Walmart works well.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leaving for the mountains of North Carolina on Saturday, so not much cooking from me after tomorrow. Spending most of the time in Blowing Rock. I had planned on some hiking, but the weather forecast is pretty wet. Maybe I need to pack a couple of good books along with my hiking gear.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    FWIW.....today two of my eight for $2 Avos felt soft enough to eat.

I just finished eating one of them......BEST Avo I have had in a while.

The best things in life are the little things. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    $0.25 avocados? Damn. I would be making corn and avocado soup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

And as you well know @Bazza, a lot of times we get to our ages before we get that figured out—;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I just made soup.....a fair amount of it too! ;)

Next time perhaps.

These Avos are so good, I'm just going to scoop them right out of their skins...maybe with some Lea and Perrins....:p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was thinking more like something like this:

Cold Avocado Corn Soup With Cilantro Oil

I bought a chinois mostly for making this but have used it for other things.

This dish does make a big mess of your kitchen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going E-Z/P-Z tonight behind yet another day in the yard with high humidity—

Grilling burgers and dogs with chips and pickles—

As always, the ice cold longnecks are both enjoyable and appreciated this time of day— hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I took it easy with a 20 mile bike ride today. Lots of chores before taking a vacation followed.

I never got connected about dinner.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Was headed to the store after work this morning to pick up some ground beef for burgers and at the last minute detoured into Manny's for some take out veggie pizza and a Greek salad.

YUM! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've known these guys for quite a while. They opened up a second Manny's in Naples in fact right about the time I was re-locating there ('89-'90) - that's 30 years ago right there.

They weren't real busy so gave us a chance to chew the fat a bit while they were working. You can watch everything right from the front counter - the prep work and stuff being made for orders. That place is an institution here......

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Damn Bazza,

Now Ms. Jan wants to move.....

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ha! You know what they say Ms. Jan.........."The Grass is Always Greener!"

That said, I have lived both inland and on the coast and have always gravitated more to the coastal regions.

But where ever it was I lived, I always appreciated all that it offered.

I loved my home in Lehigh Acres. Corner lot with only 1 neighbor to my left. Woods on all other 3 sides. And on a dead end street.

And especially for you Lurk.....lots of empty roadways for cycling. There was one stretch that went for about 7 miles straight with no lights and maybe a half dozen homes. That was my go-to route for training - I would go back and forth until I met my mileage goal for that session.

My buddy Perry, who was also a customer of mine, also lived in Lehigh and he was motorcycle racer but also trained in cycling and athlons from time to time. Customary for many who race and want to stay in shape, no matter what they are driving. In fact, I loaned Perry my heart monitor once and never got it back...ha ha. He did me a big solid though when I drove my '81 TR7 up to Virginia to visit my oldest brother and the gearbox gave out on I-95 just shy of the VA state line. My brother came and we trailered the car back to his place and Perry was nice enough to B&E into my garage and ship my spare gearbox to me so I could R&R it in my brother's driveway. That is by definition - a true friend!

I ended up doing a lateral transfer from the Ft. Myers store I ran to a branch in Port Orange and have been in this location ever since, although I left that company 5 years later....it was a means to an end...as they all are.

There's quite a few places here for grabs for anyone wishing to re-locate - not as good of a deal as I got back in '96.....but same could be said for any place, I'm sure.... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Inside supper tonight—

Fresh fried shrimp, cheese grits, homemade coleslaw, bread and butter pickles, and hush puppies—

I’ve been told that ice cold longnecks go very well with this meal—so I’m thinking we’re gonna try’em out tonight...;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    From down under.......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan says she wants grilled wings and a cold tray so guess what folks—grilled wings and a cold tray it is!—we’re having some company over to see Ms. Jan while she’s in town so it will be a good time!

I’ll have them cut up and in cold water about 1 1/2hrs before seasoning so they’ll grill out plump—yep, seasoning is coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning on the wings—sauce will be on the side for whoever wants it, I prefer straight grilled....

The Yeti is fully stocked and iced down—but I have already tested the latches to make sure that they’re working properly—:D

I’d hate for company to get here and those latches not be working correctly—;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    9 miles of hiking and walking today. Beautiful weather. Got a wasp sting that caused my left hand to swell up but it is fine now.