Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like a steel bike from the geometry and tube sizes. Trek did make some non-steel glued together bikes that fell apart around that era. 2300 series IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Finishing up the last of the pot of spaghetti sauce tonight with a fresh romaine salad topped with fresh vine ripe tomatoes—hot day in the yard today with continued efforts to return to “normal” post Michael—

The ice cold longnecks are always appreciated, especially behind a hot yard work day—

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just warming up some Texas smoked sausages.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Frame is some kind of alloy and you are right about some of them - a good friend who sweats acid (inside joke) had issues with his 2300.

I thought the 2100 had different forks than the 2300 plus a few other things.

6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Most people do not realize the long terms effects a hurricane can have on the condition of a property.

Sure you can uses rakes and chainsaws to remove much of the debris and busted limbs and trunks but then it takes time for stuff to re-sprout and regenerate and even then - it's never as good as the original (in most cases).

Then throw in the weather here in Florida which by itself makes working in the yard a challenge.

My philosophy is to pace myself and work at little sections at a time. Eventually it all gets repaired, even if takes a little time. It's the journey after all...not the destination....

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I’m not from the south, but my wife is. I think I have convinced her mac and cheese isn’t actually a vegetable. And black-eyed peas are legumes

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Wait, WHAT???

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Speaking of wives.......(and you thought we've already strayed far off topic).....:devil:

I had my tie rods replaced today on my Silverado and while driving with my mechanic afterwards he got a call on his cell and when he hung up I asked "Wife?" - to which he laughed and said "No no no....my girlfriend!"

I gave him a fist bump and said "Smart man...now don't ever let her move in with you!" - to which he laughed again and said "No no...I agree!"

I asked if she was hawt - and he replied "Yes - she's Cuban!"

I gave him another fist bump and said "Ay caramba....muy bien!!!"

My mechanic is Puerto Rican so this whole thing was just so cool, I had to share.

They "met" via telephone - she works for a health care company in some capacity and I guess they hit it off with some small talk. He's 59 and she's 57. He showed me her photo and she is hawt. Moved here from Cuba when she was only 5.

I dated two Cubans in my life (so far) and both were the best lovers I've ever had. Sorry if that's TMI but hey - it's the off-season still.

I asked my mechanic if his chick had any Cuban girlfriends. He said no but who knows?

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    On the hunt for white corn on the cob....at Publix today it was 3 for $2! Yikes! And it didn't look very fresh either. o_O

I'm looking at this place in town called Perrines....and check out the Hass Avos @4/$1! Whoa....guess where I will be tomorrow......

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just finished lunch....a filet acquired from my trip to Perrines today. It was good!

Also picked up fresh celery, 8 Hass Avos, 2 cukes, a seedless watermelon, a doz. Amish eggs, 1 lb. Amish roll butter, 2 filets, and 1 lemon.

Wanted some seedless black grapes but they were too tart.....yuk. As were the cherries.

No corn in stock.....said they were working on it. Guess it's out of season.

Got my 8 avos sitting on a window ledge....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was tasked with making tacos tonight. It is Tuesday. Taco Tuesday. LOL. Nothing special, just regular Tex-Mex ground meat tacos with McCormick's seasoning. I find them hardly worth the bother and would rather make real Mexican tacos. There are so many wonderful varieties. I have made pork tacos and al pastor tacos as well as shredded chicken tacos. And I have made others, but never made my own carne asada. I think that I can do that. I wonder if I can make/fake barbacoa in my Kamado Joe if I can find agave leaves to wrap the lamb.

My wife and son bought all the fixing last night. Too bad they left the meat in the trunk of the car. Straight to the garbage can.

I will be heading off to Publix soon.

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Go to France for weirdness about vegetables. Fish are a vegetable in France. So are eggs.

14. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Is this a good time to start the "is a tomato a fruit or vegetable" debate? LOL. Since fruits have seeds. HAHAHA

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Oh, man!!! I fell your frustration Lurk...

16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Publix had Edy's on BOGO yesterday and I picked up some Spumoni.....yum!

Also skinless boneless chicken breasts on BOGO so got 3 lbs. of those and am making chicken veggie noodle soup in my largest slow cooker.

I'll be putting stir fry veggies in too......

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Going to fire up the KJ soon to grill with a bit of apple wood smoke some thick rib-in pork chops. I will set it up so that half is direct and near the coals and half is indirect and high. That will allow me to get a good sear and then go much slower to bring the meat up to temperature: about 140 F before resting wrapped in foil. I'd like to pull a little sooner, but then the chops would be too "pink" for my wife.

Smashed redskins and an Asian slaw to accompany. And a pinot noir that looked interesting that we are tasting to see if we want to buy some more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That is almost as good as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on BOGO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The most important thing is can she cook? Cuban food is to die for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be 1” thick bone-in pork chops on the grill, seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning—Everglades Gourmet Mopping Sauce on the last two turns—

Inside on the stove is a pot of fresh steamed yellow squash and vidalia onions, and a pot of fresh zipper peas and I’ll add some fresh pod okra to top it off the last 5-10 minutes—

The back porch Yeti is ready to go with the afternoon and evening activities—

• Like Like x 2