Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Taking a break from the extended cleanup of Hurricane Michael—back in N.Ga., on Alan’s mountain—tonight it will be Chicken Alfredo with a fresh Caesar salad, and toasted garlic bread....

The ice cold longnecks are greatly appreciated after driving through Atlanta....

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling 1” thick center cut pork chops, accompanying them will be fresh asparagus and fresh bi-color cob corn—

And you guessed it—ice cold longnecks on Alan’s big front porch while the smoke’s rolling—:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Got a mess of chicken thighs marinading in jerk sauce for weekend grilling. Also tested out my ravioli making skilz, but kept it simple with the traditional ricotta, Parmesan, spinach and nutmeg filling. Will be making a traditional marinara sauce to go over it and not the Americanized version. The traditional sauce is garlicy, uses San Marzano tomatoes, olive oil, a pinch of red pepper, and has either oregano or fresh basil. And no meat. Since I have lots of fresh basil outside I am going for that option.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Where abouts is Alan's mountain? I've ridden my bike (pedal powered, not moto) in the hills/mountains around Helen. That is a bit northeast of Dahlonega. There are some seriously steep roads around there! Climbing Hogpen is not easy. I never climbed Brasstown Bald as it is nearly always closed off.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    ME! Its Florida hot in Atlanta this weekend. LOL

74 - enjoy the mountains and I feel your pain in that Atl traffic. Have a ice cold one for me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Jasper’s about 55-60 miles north of Atlanta—20 miles N of Canton, 15 S of EllaJay on US515.

His place, 7 1/2 acres, is about 6 miles N of Jasper on Old Burnt Mountain Road—

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have never ridden a bike around there. If the folks around there are chill toward cyclists it is probably a great area to ride. I have fond memories of solo riding some really tough climbs in western North Carolina and the few cars that passed me were first shocked to see a solo bike rider and then really encouraging. It was nice compared to the "Get off the road" I was used to in Florida. I could tell you stories.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I bet—My impression since Alan has been here is a rural and laid back community/county.
    60’s-early 70’s muscle cars are restored around here with a great passion —a lot of easing around and looking—it’s pretty country for sure—

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had guns pointed at me from vehicles telling me to get off the road when I was riding as far to the right as was practicable.

All of that was before Lance Armstrong and after Lance it was MUCH better, but if they knew the truth about Lance it would not have stopped.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Put some chicken breast tenderloins in a zip lock bag with buttermilk, an egg, and garlic powder this morning.

Will be coating them with Italian bread crumbs and frying in canola oil later for the softball game.

I have another batch in the fridge that I will bake tomorrow, instead of frying.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Saturday!

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling chicken wings with a cold tray of fresh vegetables on the side tonight—90* hot on the mountain this evening—

The col’beers are going down smooth this afternoon—

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    98 F currently in Gainesville with it forecast to be hotter tomorrow and even hotter on Monday.

Drove to Alachua because my wife ran her battery down and needed a jump.

Today is leftovers and we have some tasty ones.

Just cracked a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I had a martini, but in addition I needed something to quench my thirst.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And I found out that the jerk chicken I started marinading on Friday will be grilled and eaten on Monday. It was all planned on when our friends were available.

I make my own jerk sauce and use datil peppers instead of scotch bonnets. Similar heat and I like the flavor of datils a little more and I grow them. If only I had a source of allspice wood. I put extra allspice in my jerk sauce, but it is not the same.

And only if the people I cook for would like it as hot as I do. I have to tone it down a bit, er, lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just finished sampling a few of my pan fried chicken tenders.

I used two different coatings. One was Italian bread crumbs and the other was this stuff:

[​IMG]

Holy cow, that House Autry stuff rules! And I just noticed that have a product for oven baked chicken as well:
    [​IMG]

The buttermilk/egg/garlic powder marinade is a winner...super succulent meat with a nice flavour touch.

You guys are going to laugh but for a beverage I'm drinking lemon lime Powerade. I like the extra electrolytes this time of year and the flavour is great with the chicken.

Well...back to the game.....enjoy! :)

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm going with old faithful. Grilling some andouille links with some red beans and rice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is rib-eyes (on sale at Publix and looked really good) and Caesar salad.

Super easy but so tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Legend

Dec 11, 2009
    Any sous vide fans here? I started these ribs earlier today expecting to finish them tonight but then I started drinking beers and got lazy so I'm letting them go overnight - will be a total of ~24 hours.

This is actually my first time doing ribs sous vide - I've cooked every other meat except ribs this way so hopefully turns out well.

Tomorrow gonna throw on BBQ sauce, let them sit for a while and finish on the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have never done that.

Let us know how it works out.

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner plans with our friends fell apart as the wife and one of their children are sick.

But going to grill the jerk chicken anyway.

I like traditional Jamaican sides with jerk chicken like pigeon peas with rice, coconut milk and appropriate spices, but that was nixed. Instead I am making black beans and rice as well as maque choux. Maque choux is like a creamy Cajun succotash. The creaminess is good for tempering the heat of the jerk chicken if that is needed. And I can ramp it up with extra hot sauce without subjecting the rest of the family to my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Simple tonight— Alan’s headed home from the tournament down Atlanta way that the 13 year old East Cobb team he coaches won (undefeated Sat thru Mon)—

Grilling Brats and Burgers, (roll the brats in a pot of Michelob Amber Bach with sliced up green, yellow, and orange bell peppers before the grill), col’beer and chips on the side—

• Like Like x 2