Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My SIL that is a great cook is visiting, so I am pulling out all the stops.

And she can bake and to me that is magic and I can't do it. My mother was not a great cook, but she was an amazing baker.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I can do ok on top of the stove but the inside of the stove belongs to Ms. Jan—
    I will be best served to leave it at that—

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I do lots of braises inside the oven, but no baking. I'd like to learn how to do that, though.

Making tacos as a quick snack before heading out to the Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night I made a creamy sauce (heavy cream, butter, olive oil) with bacon, leeks, and thyme served over fettuccine. With a side of Lipitor. LOL.

Tonight my wife and I are going to a cooking class to learn how to make ravioli. From the description it will be very old school like my grandmother (not Italian, but cooked for a Southside Italian back in the 1930's. She knew her stuff) made. She used her dining room table to roll it out by hand. I would watch and then was tasked with cleaning up with damp rags and her Hoover vac using lots of the attachments to get all of the flour up and flour was everywhere. The reward was dinner and it was awesome.

• Like Like x 3
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Two slabs of St.Louis cut ribs smelling up the neighborhood this afternoon over applewood smoke on the Egg—Bi-color cob corn will join the ribs a little later—big pot of fresh green beans and new potatoes to go with—

The ice cold longnecks are always good when grill/smoker activities are in play—

• Like Like x 4
  6. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Went a bit high class tonight.

Ribeye. Seared on the outside and very rare inside.

Green beans with a dressing of jalapeños and garlic cooked in olive oil and then mixed with the green beans.

Baked potato in the oven with olive oil and salt on the outside.

Served with a French Cote du Rhône.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I love French Cote du Rhône but I have been putting a lot of L'Adventure from Paso Robles in my wine cellar. The area just west of Paso Robles makes a lot of stellar wines of that style. I also like Villa Creek a lot. I find that I get more bang for my buck with them,

• Like Like x 1
  8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Having lived over seas for 5 years, I got hooked on European wines. Namely French, Italian, and Romanian. I don’t care for Spanish wines. I like some South African wines. Georgian wines are solid but hard to get outside of Georgia. Australian and New Zealand wines are easy to drink but unspectacular in my experience. Chilean and Argentinian are quite good. Bizarrely, my California knowledge is very poor. I have always thought they were overpriced so I haven’t bothered getting into them but I should try them. I have heard over the last few years they compare quite well with French wines.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Napa is overpriced, but there are great wines from other places in California. Oregon also makes some world class wines.

Added in edit: When I was younger I was a big fan of big red wines like a good Bordeaux (I really liked the St Estephe 2nd growths that you used to be able to afford), Napa cabs, Italian barolos, some of the old school California Zinfandels like Seghesio, etc. Now I am liking pinot noir based wines more as I find them better suited to food pairings for the kinds of food I like to eat. Sometimes I even go softer with some of the lovely soft reds from Italy.

Now if I was eating an elk steak it would be a different thing.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Keeping it simple tonight: sauteed scallions and corn mixed with tomatoes, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper. Next I will be grilling chicken legs. Too bad I am all out of Pat's Ho Made, but I will survive and the chicken will be eaten.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Was hoping to get a report. I am assuming the cleanup wasn't as intense as the old days. Are you ready for the ravioli big time, now?

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cleanup was easy for us as we walked away at the end of the evening.

The Alfredo sauce they put on my ravioli was very soupy and not good.

I will be making my own sometime soon. If I can get a good deal on Florida lobster tail I will be making lobster ravioli.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My oldest son is visiting this weekend with his girlfriend.

I am thinking either grouper or rib-eyes for dinner tomorrow. Can't go wrong with that choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Spaghetti sauce has been simmering since mid-morning—the house is smelling good—fresh romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes and peppers—toasted garlic Italian bread to go with—

Series sweep victory ice cold longnecks are in order—everyone enjoy your weekend!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Fresh corn on the cob for lunch - seasoned and dripping with butter......mmmmmm.......

Burgers tonight. :)

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am going with a victory martini instead.

Tonight it is grouper with a picata sauce, scalloped potatoes with fennel, and a cracked farro and broccoli salad. Also garlic shrimp as an appetizer.

The scalloped potatoes are in the oven as they take nearly two hours to cook and are best warm and not piping hot. The shrimp is all peeled. The farro salad is from a recipe that my wife asked me to cook and I have never made it before. It has a gazillion steps and ingredients and lots of thinly sliced things so the mandoline is getting a workout today.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be grilled 1” thick center cut pork chops seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning—also grilled bi-color cob corn, fresh field peas with snaps, and rice smothered with rotel tomatoes & okra—jalapeño cornbread in the cast iron frying pan—

It’s been hot enough today ice cold longnecks are definitely in order—Ahh, a prelude to the SEC-T starting Tuesday :):):)

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilling some chicken tonight to eat with leftovers from Friday (corn scramble) and yesterday (scalloped potatoes with fennel).
    That is yummy!

Grilling brats instead. My son complained that I was grilling too much chicken. I wanted to tell him to buy the meat and cook it.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Starting the game day with ham & cheese omelets made with chipped up smoked shank half ham and Sargento sharp cheddar—pot of grits (add a shot of milk to make’em less gritty/mo’better), and homemade buttermilk biscuits—Ms. Jan’s homemade strawberry freezer jam for those biscuits—

Oh yeah, and goooood coffee—

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I've been watching and cooking all day. I hope that I have my appetite back by dinner time.

First I made some dirty rice to keep on hand for my youngest boy that eats a lot and is very skinny. On the other hand I just think about food and gain weight.

Next I have prepped a poblano potato gratin to stick in the oven later. It is a lot of prep work: charring the peppers and skinning/deseeding, peeling and slicing the potatoes, sauteing onions, making the rajas (pepper strips and the sauteed onions, bringing a pot of heavy cream and sliced potatoes to a boil, arranging the ingredients in an rectangular baking pan.

Got a load of dishes going.

Next I will prep the salad (mixed baby greens and radicchio with a blue cheese and honey dressing). I will get do everything up to dressing the salad.

Lastly I will get everything ready to pan sear duck breasts and then make a cherry/port/thyme reduction to pour over it. I will have everything measured out and ready to go as well as pounding the duck breasts to the proper thickness and also cutting a crosshatch pattern into the skin and fat to help with getting the fat away from the breast meat while it is being seared.

My wife has also started a grainy farrow based dish that she will complete when she gets home. She forgot to get pistachios.

Friends of ours are bringing over some kind of dessert.

• Like Like x 1