Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Cooler here all day—pot of chili simmering to serve over white rice covered with Sargento fine shredded sharp cheddar—

As is the case most days “I love everything ‘bout a col’beer”—especially an ice cold longneck—

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Somewhere I have a couple of cases of old Bud longneck deposit bottles from when I used to home brew. With all of the microbreweries around now I don't see any point in home brewing anymore. I have found a few that make some brews to my taste.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Rubbed the brisket with sea salt, smoked paprika, black pepper and cinnamon and put it back in the fridge.

I will need to take it out of the fridge about 7 hours before dinner tomorrow.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    You are da’ man....

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was back then.

Now I am this old guy.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be fried chicken, fresh steamed cabbage, and Dixie Lily yellow rice with rotel tomatoes on top—

Ice cold longnecks are both a staple and a must!

“I wonder what the po’folks are doing”—JK Horne, Jr.

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was grilled burgers and they were awesome. With a side of fancy kale salad that was also awesome.

Tonight will be ballpark food and not so awesome. We pay enough for it, so why can't it taste good?

I do have to say that it tastes better when the Gators are leading.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Got to flush that game outta my mind so I’m doing that on the Green Egg today—

It’ll be smoked beef plate ribs over applewood smoke, baked potatoes, Classic Romaine Salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes, and a pan of jalapeño laced cornbread—

The ice cold longnecks are ready to go—you can bet I’ll make sure that they will compete throughout the efforts of preparing this evening’s meal—

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Sounds great.

I will be making chicken marsala served over egg noodles with a salad.

Also chilling a J Christopher sauvignon blanc to go with it. I should probably keep it under my hat, but JC makes a really good one and it is not very pricey. It is a great deal. I always try to visit them when I go to Oregon and get a case or two every year.

I used to get Acrobat (King Estate bargain brand) Pinot Gris for well under $10 a bottle locally until the NY Times wrote an article about it. It is still a bargain, but it used to be a steal.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilled chicken thighs and corn scramble (scallions and corn sauteed in butter mixed with chopped tomatoes, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar) as a late afternoon meal before heading to the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sounds great!

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be fresh fried catfish, cheese grits, homemade coleslaw, and hush puppies—

The ice cold longnecks will do their part well I’m sure—:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have got to watch the chicken thighs like a chicken hawks. The grill is a bit greasy and flaming up.

Time to take a beverage outside and not post for awhile.

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I got the grease fire flashing under control and am now enjoying a beverage inside.

Almost done.

I had to get things done early because my youngest is working tonight and not going to the game.

15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was medallions of pork tenderloin served over a bed of quinoa with kalamata olives, dill, and flat leaf parsley. Chicken stock was used to deglaze the searing skillet and harisa was added to it and cooked down. Then butter was slowly added to the warm sauce.

Tonight is escarole soup with a side of spaghetti with a garlic and lemon sauce.

• Like Like x 4
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    On the other side of the kitchen with a whole day of yard work on tap a pot of hamburger-vegetable soup was put on early this morning to simmer—

Shaved Vidalia onion, cut up baby carrots, fresh snapped green beans, cut up celery hearts, whole kernel white and yellow corn, petite diced tomatoes, and cut up fresh okra were added in with the browned and drained ground chuck with the stock coming from a large bottle of V-8 Juice—salt, coarse black pepper, Morton’s Season All seasoning, and a few shakes of Ed’s Red hot sauce and Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce are mixed in for our preferred taste—

Sargento’s Fine shredded sharp cheddar for a topping if it’s wanted—

The yard work is done, a well deserved shower, the kitchen’s smelling good and I’ve got back porch time with some ice cold longnecks—

• Like Like x 2
  17. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I want to go to dinner at both of your houses!!!

I had a Greek salad and tzakiki. Though @GatorLurker would be proud of me today. I kept my liquor clear and no tobacco. I will still die younger than the US average but I won’t work to 67 either so net win???

• Like Like x 2
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    With those Greek dishes I bet it was ouzo.

Next time you are in Gainesville give me a heads up and I will cook something nice. And if your wife is here it will be extra special nice.

Added in edit: I didn't mean anything by that other than cooking for two is an added pleasure.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  19. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I took it to mean: Your visitation is fine but if she comes, then it is an occasion.

Which would be more than fair.

No, it wasn’t ouzo though that would be fantastic with some lamb. At the Greek restaurant it was South African Sauvignon Blanc and then I went to an Irish pub to watch the Barca vs Liverpool Champions League match and had gin and tonics.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Here ya go guys.....baseball food! Let me know what you think.....