Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Extremely windy and chilly here today—smelling up the house with a big pot of spaghetti—fresh romaine classic salad topped with vine-ripe tomatoes and grilled garlic bread to go with—

The ice cold longnecks are waiting to contribute their part—

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night we enjoyed Ms. Jan’s lastest soup made with a meaty ham bone from the shank I smoked last week—

From Honey Ham she used their Maple Honey mixed beans packet adding onion, celery, potatoes, chopped garlic, and a 28oz. can of whole peeled tomatoes—

Slow cooked in the Lodge Kettle pot, I’ve got to say it was outstanding—

My fried cornbread was just the finishing touch it needed—

The ice cold longnecks were the great finish to a long day of continued yard clean-up post Hurricane Michael—grind on—

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it will be grilled 3/4” thick center cut pork chops brushed with Pat’s Ho-made barbecue sauce—we’ve got steamed fresh yellow squash and vidalia onions, and fresh steamed green cabbage to go along with—

The Yeti is well stocked with ice cold longneck refreshments—

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Raw cold and windy here again today—

Taco bean soup it is—

The afternoon longnecks in front of supper are going down smooth—

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not cooking as much as usual and when I do cook I don't have time to post about it.

Sorry.

Last night I had a taste for bolognese sauce over orecchiette. So I made that. It is a big hit with my younger son (who still lives with us at 23 years old), my wife, and me. My older son is off on his own, but would not eat it because it has bacon and ground pork. I made the mistake of telling him that pigs are smart like dogs are smart and now he won't eat pork.

Tonight I am making chicken piccata, asparagus, and almond rice pilaf.

I guess that I am in an Italian mode, but not making pasta this time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Beautiful sunny day here today after a 33* start—

To start this weekend off right I’ll be grilling fresh grouper and fresh shrimp seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning and basted with real butter, garlic, and lemon juice—

Fresh romaine salad topped with vine-ripe tomatoes and twice baked potatoes to go with—

The ice cold longnecks will be great with our meal—

7. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    74, do you grow your own vegetables? I've always loved doing that.

From the garden to the kitchen - the best way.

I've often thought farmers ate the best.

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I have in the past but I’ve got a really good fruit & vegetable stand a mile from my house now and I like the family that owns/operates it so I pick up my stuff there now—

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Beautiful afternoon of sunshine after an early morning of rain—

Tonight it’ll be grilled chicken halves with Pat’s Ho-made going on the last two turns—fresh cream 40’s & butter beans and julienne potatoes to go with—

The ice cold longnecks will do their part around the grill—;)

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Agree.

Unless you grow some special stuff, don't bother. When your garden will be full the local farmer's market will also have it at almost give away prices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    You growing some “special stuff”, lurk?

Lol

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I grow datil and fatalii peppers. I know some folks that grow some heirloom tomatoes that they can sneak in if they start them indoors really early so that they can set fruit before it gets too hot at night.

I don't grow the other "special stuff". Only a few folks are licensed in the State to do that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Lol. I don’t know anything about peppers. I know I don’t like the flavor of jalapeños or bell peppers. I like “cajun” spices which I guess are mostly some types of dried peppers? I don’t mind the heat (in moderation), but I’ve never eaten a fresh pepper that I liked.

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Datil peppers are very well known in St Augustine and the local cuisine. They are the same species as habaneros and Scotch bonnets. Of the three they have the greatest citrus flavor (Scotch bonnets have some as well) but tend to be slightly milder in terms of heat. That being said they are MUCH hotter than jalapenos. They are hard to find, but really worth the effort. I usually use them when making my jerk sauce.

I can go on and on about peppers, but I am not one that only goes for heat. I recently came back from New Mexico and I got some Chimayo peppers. They are far from scorching hot, but they have a fantastic flavor. I am drying one for seeds and will try to grow it in Gainesville. Because the soil and climate are not identical I am sure that it won't be the same, but if it is close I will be very happy.

I have some Thai bird peppers that are dried and have seeds. I might try and grow them this year as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    As always, the statement said about the weather in the panhandle is “if you don’t like our weather just hang around 15-20 minutes and it’ll change”—

27* this morning—70* now—

Grilling cheeseburgers—fresh lettuce & tomatoes to go with along with Ms. Jan’s fries—
    (She seasons them with Old Bay’s Seafood Seasoning)—try it, you’ll like it...

The ice cold longnecks are doing their part as well to make the best meal of the day—

16. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Cajun place out here uses a 50/50 mix of tony’s and lemon pepper. It’s an interesting combo for fries. Little spice, little zing.

Have a buddy that makes something he calls bosque fries. Bout an 70/30 mix of russetts and sweet potatoes, fresh onions chopped, and some kind of bottled jalapeños. All fried crisp together. Don’t care to much for jalapeños but love his fries. They’re usually accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol so that probably helps with me giving a pass on the peppers.

*sorry, I like fries. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Beef teriyaki stir fry tonight over rice—

Long day back in the yard today but progress is being made—

The ice cold longnecks are welcomed as the day wears on—

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going to the Chipola Alumni supper/festivities this evening—Prime Rib with all the trimmings for the meal—

Special Guest of the evening roasted will be Ellis Dungan—HC 1968 thru 1980–with as many of his players (myself included) in attendance—

MC for the evening will be Buck Showalter who played for him in 1975-76—

Ought to be fun—

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

74, found out a short time ago I am diabetic which seriously limits my diet choices.

I love teriyaki stir fry but can no longer have it over a bed of rice. Any suggestions?

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lo Mein? If you’re restricted to wild or brown rice try using chicken broth instead of water to give either a little more flavor—

Maybe Barilla Angel Hair whole grain pasta—

• Friendly Friendly x 1