Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Do you make your own pepper sauce for your greens?

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I make mustard greens I just add a little crushed red pepper, but I do know about making Texas Pete style pepper sauce. In fact I have some Chimayo red pepper flakes that I got from going out to New Mexico that I should use.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’m talking about the clear pepper sauce—I like to use Tabasco peppers—750ml liquor bottles make great pepper sauce bottles—just bring your vinegar to a gentle boil and then pour it into the bottle you’ve stuffed with the peppers of your choice—cap it off and you’re ready to go—you can use your peppers for more than one making too if you like that batch of peppers—

If you prefer a conversation piece use a Blanton’s bottle—;)

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I know that style. You can buy it with sport peppers and vinegar. I thought it was Texas Pete, but I am probably wrong about that. I usually end up taking the peppers out and using them on hot dogs. It is a Chicago thing.

I bet that something like that with datil peppers would be awesome and I have a bumper crop of datils.

Added in edit:

This is the Texas Pete sauce I was thinking about:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    ^^^

Gotcha—

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Time to clean stuff out of the freezer before the holidays.

I had some ground pork and ground chuck so I'm making Bolognese sauce.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    As an experiment I got some white wine vinegar hot and poured it over some datil peppers with slits in them and some smashed garlic and put that in a canning jar to make some pepper sauce. Undoubtedly a kick up or two in heat from the normal pepper sauce.

Even after washing my hands I needed to be careful to keep my fingers away from my eyes after handling the datil peppers. For those that don't know them, they are the same species as habs and Scotch bonnets but with a stronger citrus flavor to go with the heat. They are truly awesome. I like using them for making jerked chicken because of the extra flavor as opposed to Scotch bonnets which would be more traditional. My Jamaican friends have never complained.

I have a feeling that all of this pepper sauce will be mine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    BBQ chicken finished with Pat's, real mac and cheese (no box is involved except for the elbow pasta) and green beans.

Started the Christmas dinner prep. Only six for dinner as of now, but we have been known to have a few strays on occasion. I ordered an 8 rib pork loin roast to pick up on Sunday morning. It is the same cut that is used for "crown" roasts. I will then "french" the rib ends because that looks great, wrap the roast in bacon, and cut an "X" through the middle and then stuff it with an apricot, prune, shallot, butter, and ruby port stuffing. I will then have to take it out early on Christmas morning so that it comes up to room temperature before roasting.

I have got to get some arrowroot for the sauce and I am out of it. It is a thickener much like corn starch, but it makes the sauce very glossy and hence makes a great presentation with this dish. Fortunately I know where to get some.

Garlic mashed potatoes will be on the menu by popular demand. And some form of brussels sprouts because the head cook likes them. Some sort of salad as well, but that is to be determined.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Treating ourselves to grilling boneless ribeyes, scalloped potatoes, and fresh salad—

We hit the road in the morning heading to Jasper, Ga for Christmas with Alan, Kayla, Tim, and Magnolia Grace—

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover BBQ chicken and mac & cheese along with mashed potatoes and celery soup.

Something sounded bad to my wife (?) and she is bringing home some sort of salad fixings. Married just days from 36 years and she is still a mystery. That is a feature and not a defect.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Inside supper tonight—fried cubed steak, fresh steamed cabbage, and combo new potatoes, carrots, celery, and onions seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, and rose mary braised in the oven—

The ice cold longnecks this afternoon went down mighty smooth on Alan’s mountain—

12. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My Maria Callenders frozen tv dinner palls into mediocracy compared to the above.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilled a turkey yesterday, so leftovers for lunch today. Also leftover roasted veggies and rewarmed potato and fennel gratin.

Not cooking tonight was we will be going to two Christmas Eve open houses for a lot of heavy grazing. Lots of cooking tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are all together for Christmas Eve and with the fare being our traditional smoked ham and turkey for Christmas dinner our meal will be—

Grilled boneless ribeyes, fresh Ceasar salad, twice-baked potatoes, and yeast rolls—

We have been busy with the chainsaws today as Alan burns a good bit of firewood on the mountain—
    That also gave us a chance to monitor the fire pit burning limbs, tops, etc., with an ice cold longnecks or 3 in hand—

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Longnecks AFTER the chainsaws are put away. :^)

Merry Christmas!

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Oh, yeah—just feeding the fire at that point—and Merry Christmas to you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Breakfast this Christmas morning was 2 casserole type dishes and coffee—

One was just a standard browned sausage, diced spring onions, hash browns and shredded 4-State cheddar with just enough Bisquick to hold it together—the other was a McIntosh apple, crescent rolls-French-toast type casserole topped with pecan pieces and real Maple syrup—

Our Christmas meal will be a smoked ham and turkey—Jan’s homemade dressing (her Mama’s recipe), combo cream 40’s & petite butter beans, fresh turnips & mustards, sweet potato dumplings, Watergate salad, and crescent rolls—

Between Christmas morning, late breakfast, and our big meal planned for 5pm there is plenty of time to enjoy a few front porch col’beers on Alan’s mountain—

Once again, Merry Christmas to all!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner will be 6-ish Eastern time. Maybe a little bit late because I spaced out for 15 minutes on starting the pork roast.

Now to make the pumpernickel, smoked salmon, cream cheese, Russian salman roe treats.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not enough leftovers for dinner tonight so I am smoking two chickens.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Took my MIL's dog for a walk after I had the grill/smoker for the chickens set up perfectly. When walking back I could smell it a quarter mile away which I thought was a little weird. The fat dripping were igniting, but not making a raging inferno like what happened one time with some ducks. I don't use a drip pan when smoking chickens over indirect heat, but maybe I will in the future.