Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan requested grilled hamburger steak from a freshly ground chuck roast—so hamburger steak it is—fresh Caesar salad and baked potatoes to go with—ice cold Michelob Light longnecks are in the Yeti tonight—

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I was going to make boeuf bourguignon today after cleaning the kitchen floor. When I looked for the cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink I got a huge surprise. There was a leak in the p-trap that I had to fix. It was corroded through the bottom.

I have metal under my kitchen sink only because I cook a lot of pasta and all of that hot water is not good for pvc. The metal I had there was about 25 years old.

I thought that I had it fixed, but there was a drip from the tailpiece from the disposal. So another trip out to get supplies.

So my wife is making the boeuf bourguignon and tomorrow I am getting some plywood to replace the floor of the cabinet under my kitchen sink. It is very nasty.

And then I will clean the kitchen floor.

3. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Question for you foodies:

Grandma from Nashville made the best fried chicken I have ever tasted.

How? It was slow cooked in lard. Yes I know the downside of lard.

What do you all think of that and...can eating that occasionly be all that bad for you? Grandpa lived to be 89.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lard to Crisco to Peanut Oil to Vegetable Oil is my recollection—IMHO it’s no worse for you than soft drinks, candy, or anything else that taste good—

My Mama always took a large bowl and put her salt, pepper, milk, and two eggs in it mixing it well—then soaked her chicken in that before rolling it around in self-rising flour before frying it—that made the best crust ever to me—

5. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What oil did she use?

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220–

When I was younger it was lard—then about 10-11 yrs old she changed to Crisco shortening—then about 9th-10th grade she started using peanut oil for both frying chicken and fish frys—when I came back home from Chipola peanut oil had gotten kinda $$$ so she went to vegetable oil—

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are back with power!

So Ms. Jan immediately requested my spaghetti for this evening’s meal—Done and done—fresh Romaine salad with vine ripe tomatoes, and toasted sunflower deli bread to go with—

The ice cold longnecks are waiting in the “totally relaxed” mode—even though there is still mountains of work ahead—all things considered, life is good—

• Like Like x 3
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Great news that the power is back.

Spaghetti and salad sounds great.

Since I had a home grown and fully ripe pineapple (I let it ripen until it fell off and it was all yellow) I decided to make tacos al pastor. The only trouble is needing to get to the Latin market for gaujilla peppers for both the marinade and the accompanying salsa. I did save the head to root and start another plant. I always have a few pineapples growing in large buckets that I can bring in if we are going to have a freeze and I get one or two homegrown pineapples every year.

As a bonus Publix had boneless pork loin roast on BOGO so one is in the freezer. I'll probably use that for cooking it with cabbage, molasses, and caraway seed when it get a bit colder.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My grandma (mother's mom) cooked hers in lard and learned how to do it growing up on a farm. They always used freshly killed chickens on the family farm. The livers never make it past the cooks that fried them up as a special treat for themselves. Gizzards would make the table.

My mom was raised on that farm and didn't like the chicken killing and plucking. She never made us fried chicken, but we ate all kinds of other chicken dishes that she made.

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making the best rendition of a Chicago Italian beef sandwich that I can make in Gainesville. If only I had a pro meat slicer, but where would I put it? I have to slow cook it and shred it instead of cooking it most of the way, thinly slicing, and then finish in the juice.

I love and miss "Chicago dogs" and kind of like an occasional deep dish pizza (but my fav is a bit outside the city limits), but the hometown treat I miss the most is a properly rendered Italian beef sandwich.

I also sent a warning notice to my wife. I keep our knives sharp, but I freshly sharpened them all. And I sharpen to a 15 degree angle (Japanese standard) instead of a 20 degree angle (European standard). I have to say that it is a rack of scalpels on the magnet rack and a serious danger to those that don't know what is there.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight (that’s dark @ 5:00pm—yuck) I’ll be grilling 3/4” bone-in pork chops and Hickory-Hollow’s smoked venison sausage—we will have fresh green beans & new potatoes and fresh stewed yellow squash & vidalia onions to go with—

The ice cold longnecks on the back porch are great company—wish we could circle up and enjoy the good times together—

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoking a pork shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches. Also made Carolina slaw.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Anybody down there still cut pork collars? The one store we had here that was still cutting them went out of business—

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Don't know. Maybe you could get one at Wards as they have a full service butcher shop.

Added in edit: I have the same problem getting tri-tip. There are some recipes that I make that are best with that cut, but it is uncommon to see it on display in Gainesville. If I ask nicely I can get it with a day or two notice. Same with the pork ribs cut that is used for a crown. I use it for a different purpose, but unless it is holiday season I don't see it out on display and I have to ask a day or two ahead.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Thought this might be a LITTLE helpful in this thread.

Capture.JPG

16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    LG--

Smidgen=1 shake
    Pinch=between your trigger finger and thumb
    Dash=between your trigger finger and thumb when they are wet
    Tad=1 tablespoon

;)More or less, right?:ninja3:

• Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    i usually measure out by pouring into my palm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we had to deal with left over slaw from the pulled pork. I am grilling chicken legs finished with Pat's and baking poblano scalloped potatoes.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yep, me too.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making a pork loin roast with cabbage, carrots, onion, molasses, and caraway seeds. Lots of minced garlic, caraway, salt, and pepper on the rub that has been sitting in the fridge since this morning.

And beer and beef stock is added to the mix with a few bay leaves.