Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yummy.

2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    My Grandmother was English she could make a standing rib roast, mashed potatoes and absolutely perfect Yorkshire pudding & gravy, even using her recipe it took a lot of trial & error but I finally got the yorkshires down. She made a bitter chocolate cake and frosting to die for, that recipe I got down as soon as I got my own kitchen :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Guys and gals--the fried backstrap was so good last night I had to thaw another one out and make a slow-cooked venison stew for tonight--it's a lot like ol'school beef stew, but using cut up backstrap like stew meat--red potatoes, carrots, Vidalia onion, and cut up celery hearts with 2 McCormick's Beef Stew Mix packets--makes great gravy--all I got left to do is fry cornbread and I'm going to add some fresh cut up jalapenos to this batch--wish y'all were here--

Used watering all of Ms. Jan's plants--front yard and back to get into the ice cold longnecks--life is good--

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Football Saturday means ice cold longnecks, a grill full of wings, and a big cold tray to go with--

Got to play a tough 8:48 right here Football Gators!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was out of town until late this afternoon so I cooked a beer can chicken and a 9 x 12 roasting rack of sliced red skinned potatoes baked in the oven with lemon juice, lemon zest, butter and rosemary.

And a salad, of course.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making chili tonight to my wife's specifications. The good thing is that she likes Wick Fowler's spice mix and that is a good one. The bad thing is that she wants beans in it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    This bathroom remodel is just one thing after another.

Sunday I cut and primed the baseboards and mouldings (and primed the quarter round but didn't cut it ... I will cut it after I nail the baseboards in) and today I put on the first coat of enamel on everything. Then I started prepping the casement window for a fresh enamel treatment and noticed that one of the panes was glazed in with the worst glazing job I have ever seen.

So I carefully removed the old glazing, removed the old glazier points that the previous person didn't remove so they prevented the glass from being properly seated (WTF?), and reglazed the pane. I spent way too much time removing the old putty. Maybe I should have just gotten a new piece of glass, but if I did then this one pane would look different from the other two panes.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I always think that backstrap is too good for stew. It is like the filet mignon of venison.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    For me, that's the tenderloins...

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    OK guys and gals--it's our pre-hurricane Michael party this evening--all the outside stuff is tied down as good as we can get it, and to reward the work--tonight I'll be grilling fresh steelhead trout to go with a wild rice dish and a fresh Caesar salad--

The ice cold longnecks got into the act about half way through the outside prep work--hunker down folks, a Cat 3 100-120mph wind Michael will be here tomorrow--good luck to everyone and hang tough--

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Be safe.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since I don't hunt I never get that tasty bit. I have to have someone in debt to me to get any backstrap.

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Hope things are not too much of a mess for you. It sounds like Marianna got hit pretty hard from the wind data I have seen.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    My post Hurricane Michael kitchen consists of my grill and smoker and I’ve converted my fish cooker into a camp stove—
    This evening it will be grilled thick cut bone-in pork chops seasoned with coarse black pepper & Everglades Seasoning with of course Pat’s Ho-made on the last two turns—to go with will be fresh zipper peas and cob corn—my work crew likes their close-the-day-out meal and they well deserve it—
    And with no problem I am glad to say my ice cold beer bill is up slightly but everyone participating in this clean up effort have more than earned that!

• Like Like x 3
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Saturday I cooked posole rojo for a friend that was visiting.

On Sunday I grilled enormous chicken legs (average weight was over 1/2 pound) finished with Pat's for a decent sized crowd. We bought a lot of them.

Yesterday was leftovers, but I made jerk sauce to marinade 6 lbs of chicken legs for Wednesday or Thursday.

Today is Tuesday and what is usually associated with Tuesdays? TACOS.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Day 8 in recovery mode—everybody’s worn down tired so I’m gonna keep it simple for this evening—grilling cheeseburgers and Hickory Hollow smoked venison links for sausage dogs—

And all the iced down longneck col’beers these hard working guys want—

They are still telling us 6-8 weeks before power is restored—Thank God for generators and fuel to run’em—

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    6-8 weeks?????????? Dang Bill, that is really tough. So sorry for what you (and everybody) is going thru because of Micheal.............. Hang in there.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Thank goodness for God’s A/C last night—it was in the upper 40’s—quite pleasant outside now temperature-wise. We are just really fighting yellow jackets and the biggest black/white spec mosquitoes since EVERYTHING has been unearthed since the storm—

Regardless, tonight is a fresh pot of homemade chili served over a bed of white rice covered with fine shredded sharp cheddar cheese—
    And yes, the longnecks are ice cold—

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Have faith. It does get better.

I have been out of town visiting family in the Midwest (Chicago, Champaign (IL), and Bloomington (IN)).

Tonight it is Thai noodles with peanuts.

I had to get up at 3:30 this morning (with no time for a shower) to catch a flight, so I am running on fumes. I doubt that I will be able to watch the whole game tonight. Last night I was lights out after the three run homer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling 3/4” thick bone-in pork chops seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning—as always Pat’s Ho-made on the last two turns—we will have a pot of field peas w/snaps and a pot of rice covered with Rotel tomatoes on the camp stove—

The ice cold longnecks are the good part of the day—

• Like Like x 1