Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    No sugar I make creamed sweetcorn and add.
    And yes to a well seasoned iron skillet.

2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Been up at Mama's house the past few days working on getting things boxed up to move so we can clean the house and put it on the market--back home now--

Tonight it'll be Ms. Jan's lasagna, fresh classic romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes , and toasted sunflower bread with garlic butter--

Ice cold longnecks on your own back porch are always good--

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight everything will be done on the grill--half a boneless pork loin seasoned with coarse black pepper and McCormick's Applewood Rub, fresh asparagus basted with real melted butter, salt & pepper, and fresh bi-colored cob corn--all over apple wood smoke--

As always, the longnecks are iced down and waiting to do their part to make it a great meal--

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I haven't been cooking much lately. I am fixing a half-bath that had a very slow leak behind the vanity for years and maybe decades before it was obvious.

When I saw what the plumbing problem was I called in some pros. There was some qest stuff that caused the leak and some ancient galvanized as well. So it was going to be a partial re-pipe of the house and not a quick fix. The other half of the house was re-piped with copper in 1990 so it still has a lot of life left. I could have done it myself, but it would have taken a few days. Instead I called in a crew and we only had water off for about 6 hours.

Tore out the old floor, re-leveled the joists with asphalt shingles (snagged a few at Lowes as samples), replaced the subfloor (it was 3/4 inch tongue and groove with 3/4 inch plywood over it - I used 3/4 inch tongue and groove, 1/2 inch plywood, and 1/4 inch Hardie backer board.

Lots of drywall to replace digging into the plumbing so I needed my taping and mudslinging skills. The drywall repairs are mostly behind the vanity and toilet and look better than the rest of the walls. I havn't done drywall taping since about 1980, but it is like riding a bike. I have mostly done plaster and lath repairs since then and that is a different skill set. Room has been primed today and probably painted tomorrow.

New tile should be here Friday or Saturday.

Then new baseboards, new vanity and mirror, installing L shutoffs, and setting the old American Standard toilet.

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Didn't paint today. Our washing machine went on the fritz. Tracked it down to a rotor positioning sensor failure (this is a direct drive machine). Got the part ordered.

Spent part of the day looking for paint. I didn't like anything at Lowes or Home Depot. Going to the local Benjamin Moore store tomorrow.

I'd rather be cooking.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk--

There are times that the talent of being able to multi-task is a pain--:ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is just something that goes back to my youth earning dollars anyway I could. I learned a lot of skills back then being willing to assist on tradesmen weekend side jobs. I still get a lot of personal satisfaction from doing it myself.

And doing it myself I know that the job was done correctly.

And if a corner is cut, I know exactly what corner was cut.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Since there was a recent discussion about the proper way to cook corn bread I thought this might add something to the conversation - or not.

CornBread.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Washing machine repair part showed up yesterday, two days before expected. It took about 20 minutes to replace the part and everything works great. My wife thinks that I am a genius.

Did coat #1`of the final color (Benjamin Moore Regal Atrium White) on the bathroom remodel/fix. Second coat tomorrow. Great paint and a great off-white color.

Spent a lot of the afternoon with some students on a project. Yeah, I am retired, but I got roped into this for the academic year. It pays way less than my consulting fees, but once an educator always an educator.

But yesterday I made Korean BBQ pork wrapped in Napa cabbage leaves with rice with lime zest and juice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    bleu cheese burgers on the grill fried baked potato wedges (wife's away so I am cooking for me)
    finished a week long project digging up plants (insidious purple showers/mexican petunias)
    tomorrow starting red beans and rice and onion soup

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pretty much leftovers tonight. Then cooking stuff for my MIL that has a lunch group over. I am making pickled shrimp with fennel and onion. I think that my wife is making quiche.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've had, though it has been a while, ham with brown sugar syrup.

Quite unbelievably delicious!

How do you prepare the brown sugar syrup? I've gots me a hankerin' for some of that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220-

The common way is to merely heat brown sugar and water to a bubble boil stirring constantly--
    I'll usually add just a bit of white Karo syrup just to thicken it up some--

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Taped the Hardie backer in the morning and set the tile in the afternoon. I am OK with it except for maybe two tiles. My wife wanted 6 x 24 wood-look tile and your floor needs to be super flat for that. Easy to do on new construction but hard to do on a water damaged floor. I worked hard to make it flat, but I am worried about two of the tiles. There is about 1/16th of an inch of "rock" along the length for both of them. I set the tile with less of an error in the heavy traffic areas and more error out of traffic. I think that it will be OK, but I have half of a box of tiles to make things right if it isn't. Replacing the whole tile with two half pieces is one option.

So anyway I texted my wife to bring home dinner because I didn't cook anything and I am beat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    It's home made chili over rice topped with extra sharp cheddar tonight--because I want chili-cheese dogs tomorrow for lunch--:)

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Waiting on the thinset to dry today so it was lawn mowing and making a green chicken pozole.

Grouting tomorrow in the morning and then making dinner for bridge night: Pasta with Bolognese sauce and a salad.

I love that sauce. It reminds me of my Grandma's cooking.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Grilling chicken halves here tonight with Pat's Ho-made on the last two turns--we will have fresh steamed cabbage and fresh field peas w/snaps (home-grown cowhorn peppers for the peas) to go with--

It's still hot but not quite the take-your-breathe-away-humidity-today--so the back porch ice cold longnecks are very enjoyable as the day slips away--

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I found a place in Gainesville that still carries Pat's, but the problem is that it is almost $3 a bottle instead of less than $2 a bottle like I was used to paying.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Inside supper tonight--going to be frying venison backstrap--got a half pot of field peas w/snaps left from last night, and we'll have a pot of fresh petite butter beans & sweet corn to go with--

The back porch Yeti is freshly loaded with ice cold longnecks and awaiting the afternoon festivities--

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Floor is grouted and the sauce is simmering.

I am enjoying an adult beverage before taking a shower.

• Like Like x 1