Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Vietnamese when any of the various "dawgs" come to town? Spoiled meat when FSU/Clown School comes to town (Does this taste funny?)?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    "Winner winner chicken dinner.".....or is that doggy dinner?! Oh my!

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Only five of us for dinner and only one rib left. I am thinking nobody wanted to be the person to take the last one. It is currently sitting on a platter that didn't quite make it to the current load in the dishwasher.

I am sure that if I leave it out my 21 year old son will snag it before sunrise. This week I grilled about 16 chicken legs and I ate two and my wife ate one and the next morning they were all gone. :^)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    That's good stuff right there, I don't care who you are....

5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night I grilled pork tenderloin ( to 165 internal) over indirect heat and apple wood smoke. Fresh stewed squash with shredded sweet onion, and diced Rotels over rice. Tonight I get to sit back and enjoy Jan's home made Lasagna, fresh salad, and toasted multi-grain bread.

• Like Like x 2
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A while ago I saw pork tenderloin bogo (buy one/get one) at my local Winn-Dixie.

I bought two.

If only I had a stand-alone deep freezer. :^) I would have taken out a loan! It is a great cut of meat and I cook it in so many styles.

And my wife makes lasagna as well and it is delicious. Almost as good as my grandmother's. My grandmother at one time was the cook/maid for a Prohibition Era Southside of Chicago mafia boss. It was not THAT one, but Scarface did eat her lasagna on occasion according to family lore. My grandma rolled out fresh pasta on her dining room table to make hers. Many times I wanted to help, but instead she gave me a couple of coins to get lost. :^)

And her ravioli was magical.

Not bad for a Polish girl from north of Green Bay!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Well, with it being "Summer-time" in Feb here in the panhandle it's a return trip to the back porch for some grill time for supper. Tonight it will be Bone-in country-cut ribs bar-b-crewed over charcoal with fresh green beans & new potatoes, and another round of fresh stewed squash with shredded sweet onion. For the cook's enjoyment ice cold longnecks are the best.....

• Like Like x 1
  8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I grew up on canned green beans but moving to Europe we only found fresh green beans. So much better. Put some garlic and oil on them, delicious. I like to add a scotch bonnet into the garlic plus olive oil dressing but that likely isn't for everyone.

9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Greg- sprinkle a tsp. of sugar over them when they first start to roll, they'll be even mo'better....

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. gators8

gators8 GC Legend

Oct 1, 2007
    Your menu is on point !

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My house smells GOOD. Today I am braising a brisket with a mixture of beef stock, stout, bourbon, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar for the liquid and chopped onion, smashed garlic, celery, carrots, brown sugar, and thyme thrown in. The brisket was first rubbed with a mixture of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, smoked paprika, and ground cinnamon and sat out for an hour before browning in a small amount of grapeseed oil on high heat. When it is done I make a peach jam and bourbon glaze and put it in the broiler for a couple of minutes and I also reduce the braising liquid, after straining out the solids, to pour over the cut meat.

Garlic mashed potatoes, bibb and baby greens salad, and seared brussels sprouts to go with it.

No longnecks this time. Going to go get a growler filled at our local microbrew instead.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I swear Lurk, every time I read your menu I want to break out the fine china, silver, and cloth napkins...:cool: and eat til I'm miserable....

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last Sunday was ribs. We used paper towels for napkins. LOL

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Scotch bonnet will make some spicy green beans, but I can see that as being a good thing.

Canned green beans are horrible. Yuck. How did you grow up on that? It should have stunted your growth!

French green beans (haricort vert) are a delight.

15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk, the thing about ribs is---baked beans with smoked pork mixed in goes so good with them, and home made potato salad, and grilled fresh cob corn, and deviled eggs, and...........

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I know that I am mixing up my regional BBQ's but my ribs are Memphis style (dry rubbed) and I made Carolina Slaw to go with it (cabbage, sweet onion, bell pepper, apple cider vinegar, vegetable oil, celery seed, and sugar).

My wife grew up eating Kansas City style ribs and she was wondering if I can give a try at that. They sound way too sloppy for me, but maybe next time.

17. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Imagine how well I could have done in your class had I been fed properly!!! Though I did still get an A. :)

I will be sure to raise my children differently such that they can realise their full potential.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am such an easy grader. :^)

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Already getting amped up for the week-end. Kayla and Tim will be coming through on their way to ST in Tampa. Kayla will do another nursing travel assignment and Tim is the Pitching Coach for the Yankees High A club in Tampa. For our Friday evening meal Jan will being doing her pot roast and gravy, home-made mashed potatoes, and fresh cream 40's & butter beans combo. I get to do the fried cornbread---I try to stay outta her way when she's cooking.... They will leave out on Sat morning after breakfast.

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The home made spaghetti sauce has been simmering since bout 10:30 this morning. Fresh salad and multi-grain bread to go with. Was all set for a wet night following the ball game but as y'all know it's been weathered out. In Lurker's words, "the house smells good"!